cheapest DVD-r Media in OZ ?

ChickenMan said:
Arr.. thats good news indead, will keep a look out for them. But the 4x DataBank I think will be the go. Will be checking them out tomorrow at the Swap Meets and get a few to tryout.
How did the swap meet go? What are they selling now, and how much? Are the 4x databank riteks?

The 4x DataBank were originally Ritek (Blue on top) but the new ones are now Green top and have GSC001 (GigaStorage) id. They also have PioData 4x (they look like Poineer DVDR's) with Leadata ID. Both are blue (not purple) dye.

Both were $2.10 each in volume and a mate has already tested them on the XBOX no probs. Tested both with a Movie on my DVD Player and they play flawlessly.

@nadiboy, do you have 1x or 2x ? Suggest you have a chat to Peter as to their origin, hes imported them and should know where they they came from. I doubt TDK actually make anything themselves.

ChickenMan said:
The 4x DataBank were originally Ritek (Blue on top) but the new ones are now Green top and have GSC001 (GigaStorage) id. They also have PioData 4x (they look like Poineer DVDR's) with Leadata ID. Both are blue (not purple) dye.

Both were $2.10 each in volume and a mate has already tested them on the XBOX no probs. Tested both with a Movie on my DVD Player and they play flawlessly.

@nadiboy, do you have 1x or 2x ? Suggest you have a chat to Peter as to their origin, hes imported them and should know where they they came from. I doubt TDK actually make anything themselves.

you got the blue 4x databank DVD-Rs for $2.10 ea.. from where!!??
thats a bargain

DVD said:
you got the blue 4x databank DVD-Rs for $2.10 ea.. from where!!??
thats a bargain
No, the original blue topped Ritek DataBank were $2.90 but not available anymore. The green topped DataBank as I said above are not Ritek but are $2.10.

All from the Sunday Swap meets in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida, US :D )

ChickenMan said:
No, the original blue topped Ritek DataBank were $2.90 but not available anymore. The green topped DataBank as I said above are not Ritek but are $2.10.

All from the Sunday Swap meets in Melbourne (Australia, not Florida, US :D )
HA HA,
are they as good as the Ritech ones!!?? also whats happened to the Sigs???

ChickenMan said:

I have original TDK dvd-rs here. The quality of finishing is much better than anything from Taiwan I have seen, in bulk packs that is.

Peter doesnt always tell the truth so there isnt much point asking him. His usually very crptic with his answers.

It's pretty well known that there have been fake tdk and maxell codes used by some of the manufacturers. I didnt think they'd be too many of the tdk ones around still, but I'd stay away from any of these.

Its only been Princo that used the TDK header for their crap 2x media, thats all I've ever heard of. I've have a couple myself to test out. Utter crap. The Sigma's have a genuine CMC Magnetics header, they are reprints, where the original printing was smugged and re-printed to Sigma. There are millions (well almost :D) of batch numbers, a few drom each run. CMC make CDR's for TDK and maybe quite feasable they make them DVDR's as well. I sould have said earlier they are "reported to be TDK". They clearly are not as they would have TDK headers if they did.

Nadiboy, also dont assume the blanks are made and printed in the same country. Ritek use to make all their stuff in Taiwan and the Australian requiments were all printed here, although that stoped a year or so ago.

ChickenMan said:
Its only been Princo that used the TDK header for their crap 2x media, thats all I've ever heard of. I've have a couple myself to test out. Utter crap. The Sigma's have a genuine CMC Magnetics header, they are reprints, where the original printing was smugged and re-printed to Sigma. There are millions (well almost :D) of batch numbers, a few drom each run. CMC make CDR's for TDK and maybe quite feasable they make them DVDR's as well. I sould have said earlier they are "reported to be TDK". They clearly are not as they would have TDK headers if they did.

Nadiboy, also dont assume the blanks are made and printed in the same country. Ritek use to make all their stuff in Taiwan and the Australian requiments were all printed here, although that stoped a year or so ago.
"Reported to be TDK" lol, dude no one ever gets a free lunch. They arent TDK. Furthermore why would one put cheap ass printing on a high quality disc? That would only decrease the value. All the TDK dvd-rs I have come across have been made in Japan.

they are selling ritek siver top unprinted 4x
in 50 spindles for $120,,, Quality and a good price, ritek branded one are like $3.00 a pop

You can get the 4x Princo shit from the Melb Swap Meets for $85 to $95 / 100 spindle. They have had some really bad batches of late and dealers are selling them off cheap to get rid of them. They will also not take them back if you have any problems.

Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for". As Nadiboy said above, there are no free lunches.

The DataBank & PioData 4x at $2.00 each are great and work on everything.

ChickenMan said:
You can get the 4x Princo shit from the Melb Swap Meets for $85 to $95 / 100 spindle. They have had some really bad batches of late and dealers are selling them off cheap to get rid of them. They will also not take them back if you have any problems.

Remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for". As Nadiboy said above, there are no free lunches.

The DataBank & PioData 4x at $2.00 each are great and work on everything.

Any of these Swap meets in Brisbane ?

Or anyone know any cheap places in Brisbane besides Gamedude or the Disc shop ?

I've only bought 2 lots of DVD-R's so far :

I got a pack of 20 Laser 2x for $59.95
And a pack of 10 Shintaro 4x for $39

And these supposed to be the cheapest places around Brisbane I think :(

Saw some real (?) TDK 4x (DVD-R47EB) at JB HiFi - $7.95 each with a jewel case. No bulk packs.

They had Maxell (didn't say what speed) and Shintaro 1x, 2x and 4x as well.

The TDK certainly had a nicer finish than the Sigma's. The Sigma's appear to have been reprinted.
Both apear to be purple die.

What's the real issue between all the various media? Is it speed? Reliability? Robustness? Presentation?

I seem to recall lot's of arguments when CD-R first came out. Don't use the green ones. The blue ones are better. Then gold was the go then platinum. Some would allegedly last 10 years others 100 years. I've used Princo, Verbatim, TDK, Kodak, Mitsubishi, Mitsui, Mr Data, Datastream, EMtec, BASF etc. CD-R over the years for data and audio. Out of approx 1000 discs over 6 or so years, I've probably had a dozen or so faulty media (wouldn't burn at all) and made less than 10 coasters. I still even burn at a max of 8x.

So as a probably naive person I ask - what's the real issue with the different media types?

toyospares said:
The TDK certainly had a nicer finish than the Sigma's. The Sigma's appear to have been reprinted.
Both apear to be purple die.
The Sigmas are infact re-printed where the first printing went wrong or smudged, thats why they are cheap.

The difference between them all is how they are made and the quality program they have in place during manufacture. If you bought a Kodak CDR, you can be guarenteed every one was identical from batch to batch. Buy a Princo, and you could get anything. Also its not the actual burn process you go through that determines the quality, but the readability of the finished disk. If it cant be read back error free then it doesnt really matter how well the burn went. Then also try reading the same CDR in a year or 2, you will find most Princo have died while your Kodak will be as good as when it was burnt.

There is an old saying "You get what you pay for". Pay little, expect little in return. Keep a look out for the odd bargain however, Sigma's were such a bargain.