The Hangout!

Finally, finally and finally again I got all the music ready, and all the sound overlays done on 2 cd's for the 5/7 cav. I am tired of looking at the stuff on the computer, even though it was a labor of love. So...I pull out the giant half ton industrial size drum full of Memorex cd's that worked just fine on my old computer, and they don't work on this burner. AAAAAaaaaaaaaargh! Damn tempramental equipment!
So, (she says oh so sweetly) how was your day?

The new writer is probably a lot faster than the old one - and while there is often some form of auto-speed (eg. Smart-burn) - it's often notoriously optimistic.

Select a lower speed burn, maybe the maximum speed that was available on the old system, and they may be happier.

Not sure about Memorex CD-R, but I've never had a single satisfactory CD-RW from them.

LTR12101B said:
The new writer is probably a lot faster than the old one - and while there is often some form of auto-speed (eg. Smart-burn) - it's often notoriously optimistic.

Select a lower speed burn, maybe the maximum speed that was available on the old system, and they may be happier.

Not sure about Memorex CD-R, but I've never had a single satisfactory CD-RW from them.
Guess I'll save them for data burning, which seems to work ok.
I burned the first cd onto a Kodak CD-RW, and that worked. So maybe I'll try Kodak CD-R. The CD-RW took about 20 minutes to burn, and the CD-R estimated about 2 minutes and then failed.
The software is Sonic.

"...CD-R estimated about 2 minutes and then failed." because your burning them 2 fast, slow the burn speed down, even to 16x or 20x, sh!t at those speeds it still only takes 4-5 min to burn a CD. Life is not that short :D

Woo-Hoooooooo! I did it!!
I slowed down the burner speed on the PC, but I'm not sure if that did it. The Sonic program automatically detects the speed on the CD-R. Anyway, I made sure the DMA was enabled, did a Disk Cleanup, a Disk Defrag. and made sure EVERYTHING else was shut off. I just got 20 cd's burned in no time, and they're playing really well. Now I can get busy printing the labels, puting the cases together and getting them mailed out. :D :D :D

Cool Janie, glad U got it working :)

I never use Memorex cdr's after buying a 20 pack of them & every single one of them screwin up, but i guess thats what i get for gettin the cheapest ones lol :p

What i do when burning cd's is to defrag then to stop all traffic in firewall & disable my anti-virus, burn, then re-enable them when finished :)

BaNzI :D

careful with labels if they are going to be used on the disks JANIE as more often than not they can cause more hassle than its worth with peeling off when warm after prolonged use :(

And NEVER use a rectangular label on a CD - in the days of slower drives, you might have got away with it, but an off-centre label will unbalance the CD and cause vibration.

The best thing, for a small production run, is printables and an Inkjet printer which can do them.

The round labels, applied with a suitable applicator, are not too bad, but the basic problems with them are:
1. Mis-application - bubbled or trapped grit (those labels act like flypaper!)
2. Peeling in use, especially NOT recommended for use in car CD players, as the warm conditions tend to cause peeling, and slot loaders can be a real problem, turning a slight peel or lift into an instant jam.
3. Adhesive harming the top layer - maybe less of a problem with extra coatings, but not recommended for archival storage (actually, despite some extravagant lifetime claims, CD-R media is not a great archival medium anyway)

LTR12101B said:
2. Peeling in use, especially NOT recommended for use in car CD players, as the warm conditions tend to cause peeling, and slot loaders can be a real problem, turning a slight peel or lift into an instant jam.

my problems i had to deal with EXACTLY a KENWOOD car 10 disk changer and about 5-6 hrs to take it apart and put it back together again as the loader caddy would not let go and release and it was with a disk i labelled ......and the changer wasent even MINE :eek: :eek: :eek: :(:(:(

hence from that day forth i vowed never to use them again but label with a CD marker pen :)

SURE NOT AS NICE but safer by far lol :)

Good Morning Sunshines. :D
I threw my back out yesterday and am in excruciating pain today. First one to put a humane bullet through my head wins!!!!! :(