Maxtor Hard Drives Suck

hard drives

I have had problems with 3 maxtor hard drives.Will not buy another until the
reviews are better.
Now use Ibm desk star which are now under the Hitachi banner.
The 4 drives work just great.

As with everything, heat is the enemy and maxtors, particularly the new ones, run hot. I have some type of cooling on all my hd's as a matter of course and have never had a problem with any of my maxtor hd's. Currently I prefer segate which seems to run the coolets and quietest of any hd I've seen.

C

Coolhandflex

On my 3rd Maxtor now. This one is an 80gb Sata drive. Very quick, quiet and robust. Maxtor for life.....

Was using Maxtor all the time, but currently I'm having problems with a Maxtor HD (160G SATA)- bad sectors on sight. Had another faulty Maxtor drive (80G ATA) some 4 months ago (the replacement works well), so I might give them a rest and switch to Seagates.

I am currently using a Maxtor 80 gig SATA drive: No probs
Seagate 40 gig barracuda no probs
and a 20 gig western digital no probs
I have also got various hds in 3 other pcs and have never had any bother in 20years.... APART from, an IBM Deskstar which died in 2 months. so no more IBM drives for me :D :D

can i'm forced 2 maxtor coz it's the only hdds currently common here after quantum hdds bite the dusts...however a friend of mine just bought a 120gb samsung hdd,he said it's performance was with par with a seagate barracuda i think....

I just had 2 hd go in the last 2 weeks. One was a IBM Deskstar. I purchased my Deskstar about 4 years ago, but 2 years in on a 3 year warranty it died. They replaced it and 2 years later the replacement died. I believe Hitachi owns the Deskstar line and I don't plan on buying one.

The 2nd drive to die was a 80Gb Maxtor. When I checked the warranty it was 20 days past. That bites :mad:

I have had good with Seagate and Western Digital so far. I bought a new WD 200Gb drive that will free up 2 smaller drives to replace the ones that just died.

I heard Seagate is going to a 5 year warranty. Has anyone else hear this?

Leiw

I have (had^^) 3 maxtor drives :

1 external : working ok but if I don't use th option : Lock archive (prevents it from damage) on rared archives it will eventually give me an error : The header ??? is corrupt

1 sata 200gb : working ok for some time but then gives me write-read errors every 2 seconds

1 IDE 7200 rpm : The only one working without any problem

conclusion : stick to the good ol' IDE hdds^^

It's like anything else. Some will have problems with Maxtor drives, some won't. I have had problems with Western Digital drives, but never with Maxtor. Go figure.

Leiw said:
1 sata 200gb : working ok for some time but then gives me write-read errors every 2 seconds
the failure could be related to the SATA controller driver too;

Greetings from
Duracell