Maxtor Hard Drives Suck

N.B.

Staff member
I didn´t read throught the whole thread, but here my experience:
Maxtor drives work very well here :)
I personally had about 3 of them in the past, and no troubles at all !
The real trouble makers are the IBM HDDs ! :O
Had a lot of troubles with them !

I would recommend Maxtor or Seagate if you wanna buy a fast/reliable IDE hard disc ...

N.B.

Staff member
Yeah poko, you are right ...
They sold the HDD bizz to Hitachi ..
Better this way ! Trust me :)

Laz

pokopiko said:
AFAIK IBM has sold its HD business to Hitachi, after the GXP fiascos which cost the company a lot of money.
Yep, it has all been agreed in principle and now waiting for red tape before the deal is sorted.

Trouble was in the end, you pick up an IBM dive and look at the packaging and they were made all over the place. It was a quality control issue so they say, but hey let's hope Hitachi sort it out.

dx

Yep, I remember reading this some time ago. However, IBM is still marketing IBM drives. They just announced the Deskstar 180GXP for sale this month. Guess the "deal" is taking far more time than expected.

Strange though...AVID uses IBM 120GXPs in their Avid Unity LAN systems. Never heard of any problems and these drives are hard workers that demand reliability and quality! But then again these LANshare systems have excellent cooling solutions. And that seems to be the main issue with these drives...heat. Cooling is a must with the GXP series of drives.

Cooling drives???...now where did I read about that?! ;)

Why not go de full hog wit de Western Digital WD2000JB with 200 GB. $399 Dam
Deah details on tomshardware:> h..p://www.tomshardware.com/storage/02q4/021011/index.html
Still Seagate HDD's ide never let mi down as yet.;)

I have always sworn by Western Digital. After Sales is excellent. Seagate, good HD's CRAP after-sales (I had bother with them, will never buy Seagate again) Maxtor, excellent HD's never needed to test their after-sales. They are the only ones I have tried. Oh wait - a Samsung one I bought for a friend was pretty reasonable I understand.

my new maxtor 6Y080L0 (80GB, 7200rpm, fluid bearing) is much more quiet than my old maxtor (20GB, 5400rpm) and it's working fine even under heavy load
FortiTude

I think that for reliability, apart from bad batches, most brands are similar.. The biggest cause of failure would have to be heat.
The normal position for hdds in a case is right where the hot spot is situated and there is no air movement.

A tip: if you hear a short funny noise happen during operation, its normally the drives thermal calibration kicking in.. so think about positioning your drive somewhere else in your case.

re: Maxtor Sucks

I'm still running the first Maxtor i've ever owned. It's about 6 yrs old now in a PII 233. I've stayed with maxtor because of that. Its reliable!

I've been particularly interested in hard drives since my Priam 60MB RLL that I bought with my first PC which was an AT 286-10...

I used to read the Fidonet hd conference on a daily basis when Randy van de Loo was the moderator and was a hd tech involved in repairing and data retrieval. Over the past three years or so I go to "storagereview.com" for my information on hds. The have around 150 hds tested with a pretty good database allowing one to compare different drives under different benchmarks. What is nice about it is that they are all tested under the same conditions which makes the test results pretty representative. It also has pretty good forums for hd related topics. Too bad they suffered a crash some time ago as they had very valuable info, from the forums, lost at that time.

Each manufacturer has known a bad run of drives at one time or another. IBM really blew it with its GXP series starting with the 75 and it is unfortunate as their reputation was better than the other manufacturers. What I did not appreciate, as well as others, is that IBM has not publicly recognized the fact there was something seriously wrong with those drives. WD was pretty open about a similar incident that happened to them a few years ago and consider it is a better attitude. Of course, IBM has never been used to deal with home users and only knows how to communicate with a Fortune 500 customer. I am afraid this will always be true for them.

--
Gilbert

Last edited:
Maxtor

I had two old 40 Gig 5400RPM Maxtor drives (they were over two and a half years old) and I was about to toss them when I had decided to call Maxtor to see if they would send me two new ones instead.

So I called them, explained the problem "high pitch whines", sometimes even a hammering sound (the computer actually shook, no kidding!). To my surprise by providing them with the serial they were able to tell me that the drives were still under warranty (3 years).

So I sent the old beasts back to them and to my surprise, they sent me two 40 Gig 7200 RPM drives as a replacement (albiet these were reconditioned ones). So now I have two 40's as a spare. Cool!

I currently have:
1 brand new Maxtor Diamond Plus 40 Gig 7200 RPM 2MB Cache
1 brand new WD Special Ed 100 Gig 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

Id.

Re: Maxtor

indataform said:
I had two old 40 Gig 5400RPM Maxtor drives (they were over two and a half years old) and I was about to toss them when I had decided to call Maxtor to see if they would send me two new ones instead.

So I called them, explained the problem "high pitch whines", sometimes even a hammering sound (the computer actually shook, no kidding!). To my surprise by providing them with the serial they were able to tell me that the drives were still under warranty (3 years).

So I sent the old beasts back to them and to my surprise, they sent me two 40 Gig 7200 RPM drives as a replacement (albiet these were reconditioned ones). So now I have two 40's as a spare. Cool!

I currently have:
1 brand new Maxtor Diamond Plus 40 Gig 7200 RPM 2MB Cache
1 brand new WD Special Ed 100 Gig 7200 RPM 8MB Cache

Id.
I think Maxtor has the best no quibble warranty at the moment. If I'm right (could be different in other countries) you can cross ship your drive to them meaning they send you a new one and ask for your credit card info and when the drive is delivered, you simply hand them your old one and your cc is not billed...

Are you sure about the 100GB size of your WD with 8MB cache? I'm aware of the 80GB and 120GB models but had not yet heard of the 100GB one. These are about the fastest ATA drives one can find! Storagereview.com just tested their latest incarnation. The one expected drive I'm curious to see is the yet to be released Seagate SATA Barracuda V which has similar specs to WD in Serial ATA.

--
Gilbert

C

Coolhandflex

I have two Maxtor HDs' 2yrs and 18mnths respectively. One I installed in the kid's PC and it gets hammered on a regular basis, lots of hard reboots; you know what kids are like, and not a bad sector in sight. I've had a good run so far so I intend to stick with them for the foreseeable future...

Re: Re: Maxtor

Gilbert said:
I think Maxtor has the best no quibble warranty at the moment. If I'm right (could be different in other countries) you can cross ship your drive to them meaning they send you a new one and ask for your credit card info and when the drive is delivered, you simply hand them your old one and your cc is not billed...

Are you sure about the 100GB size of your WD with 8MB cache? I'm aware of the 80GB and 120GB models but had not yet heard of the 100GB one. These are about the fastest ATA drives one can find! Storagereview.com just tested their latest incarnation. The one expected drive I'm curious to see is the yet to be released Seagate SATA Barracuda V which has similar specs to WD in Serial ATA.

--
Gilbert

Yup, I'm sure about my WD. Here's the link to the actual drive that I had bought h**p://www.wdc.com/products/products.asp?DriveID=24. The "Special Edition" drives from WD still come with a three year warranty as opposed to one year which is now being offered on their standard lineup.

You're right about Maxtor and their straight swap with a credit card program. The credit card is only given just to make sure that you don't forget to send them the drives :). I think both Maxtor and WD are tops.

Id.

Well folks the business I am in I deal with Maxtor,Western Digital,Seagate,IBM and unfortunately Fujitsu.

Now to say one brand is beter then the other I can not do that after dealing with all of the above on a day to day basis they all have their downfalls. Now when I say I work with these I dont mean just a few of each I mean I work with thousands of each brand of them. Working with these I have noticed Fujitsu drives have the highest failure rate of all of the ones they own.

My personal favorite of them all is Seagate. To me they have the best RMA warranty returns you can deal with. So its to each their own I guess.

Have used Western Digital (BEST) exclusively last 2 yrs......Maxtor,Seagate, and Quantum in the past... all were great except the Seagates (I had 3 and all went bad within a year).
I Have a 5 yr old, 3 gig Quantum I still use for tranferring files from one pc to another....that thing's been dropped countless times, and passed around like a $2 whore....but still keeps kicking!

Doesnt matter what brand sucks.. it has life length of use. Some comes in short period.. some come in long period. Company just want $$ out of our pocket dont they! :) Just an opinion but dont go against me :) I have maxtor... 4 gig .. never die on me for 4 year now! lol. Im using 40 gig of maxtor. Hope it does the same!

I have a 120G maxtor diamond max 9 with 3 partitions but i find its not a patch on my 80G barracuda its much slower and noisy and halfway through writing a DVD Grunts and groans, works fine but I wish I'd bought another Barracuda costs a little more but well worth it