Maxtor Hard Drives Suck

L

Lakeside

IBM 20 gig hd smoking, if not, why?

ohhenry59 said:
Thanks for info you all. Maxtor wasn't problem at all so i have to recant what i said about maxtor. The installation instructions does mention proper ventilation. So, those of you adding adding hard drive make sure you have a fan blowing on it. Still wondering why Lakeside said Maxtor sucks without giving info on his experience.
If proper venilation isn't the issue here (which by the way it is), then why isn't the IMB 20 gig hd I sold you over a year ago and is older than your Maxtor hd not smoking?

Lakeside

i'm using a maxtor 20GB for more than 2 years and since about half a year i use win2k and i never had any hardware problems ! (only some default windows errors ...)
i don't use any special cooling , just one 3.5" on the top if it is free
FortiTude

ps: just to add some good infos about a maxtor disk.
you always read complains but very few the good infos are just thought to be not important and left away
so you can't get a real comparison, if 5 out of several thousands of maxtor drives are bad, you only hear of the bad and not of the good, your conclusion could be wrong

Last edited:
I was kidding Lakeside, I knew by saying that it would make you respond...lol
The HD you sold me to was getting hot. I am definately going to buy a fan. How many HD do you have? Have you opened up your case a felt your hard drives? Who knows why someone with same OS has problems while the other one don't?

Last edited:
L

Lakeside

ohhenry,
I figured you was kidding me. I bought a slot fan when I purchased my barebone case and at present I'm running just 1 hd. ;)

Lakeside

I have the worst luck when it comes to computers in general :rolleyes: but I haven't had an issue w/ my Maxtor 17gb I bought 2yrs ago I believe..

I have (2) drives.. one Maxtor 17gb and one WD 6gb.. I know, I really need to upgrade..

I was using a friend's Maxtor 80gb Firewire drive and it kept powering up/down/up/down and data would be corrupt on it, so we took it out of the firewire case and threw it in my machine.. big mistake.. that started causing all sorts of problems..

I think I'm rambling, so I'll say what I was gonna say in the first place..

I go for WARRANTIES on products.. I buy extended warranties on products to be sure I can take them back for repairs/replacement if need be.. I was looking at Western Digital's site and noticed this:

If you buy anything below a Caviar after Oct 1st, then you will have a 1yr warranty, whereas if you buy before Oct 1st, then you will get a 3yr warranty on any of their drives.. Now that I like.. Now I just need to find the money.. :eek:

Vantec HDC-502a HDD Cooler

Hello Folks,

Been reading this thread and agree with pokopiko’s statement that the newer hi-speed ATA100/133 drives need proper ventilation and cooling.

Suggest looking at the Vantec HDC-502a HDD cooler. This HHD cooler is an aluminum heat sink that contains two cooling fans. This cooler/heat sink mounts under your HDD and is easy to install. Information can be obtained by visiting the manufactures site.

h**p://vantecusa.com/hdc502a.html

A product review of this item can viewed by visiting this link.

h**p://www.overclockersclub.com/vantecharddrivecooler.shtml

You can obtain purchasing information by visiting the below link and searching for Vantec HDC-502a

h**p://www.pricewatch.com

I personally have been using the Vantec HDC-502a HDD cooler on my Maxtor 80GB 7200 HHD for some time now and haven’t had any problems.

Regards,
Coaster

Saying something sucks is a bit harsh
Every company will make a few lemons now and again, ive had 5 maxtor drives only had one die on me
IBM ive had problems
Segate none
Western digital none

i think the best IDE H.D is Weatern Digital 7200RPM with 8MB Buffer.

this drive will perform close to SCSI drives.

i'm buying a new one soon, i'd like the maxtor diamondmax plus 9 6Y080P0
this would be the version with 8 MB buffer but i can't find it in any shop, perhaps you can help me, i prefer a shop in germany or europe, and it should be below 150 Euros
if i can't get it i buy the same hd with 2 MB buffer
6Y080L0
FortiTude

ps: i don't think maxtor hd suck, i'm very happy with mine

h**p://w*w.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=27601&t=715&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=9&GrpID=1&s=pl

Maxtor IDE ATA-133 80GB 7200RPM
DiamondMax Plus 9
Size= 80 GB
Speed: 7200 RPM
Connection: ATA-133
Cache: 2MB
Seektime: 8,5 ms
Shock Protection system

GBP 87.50 inc. VAT

i hoped someone finds the version with:
Cache: 8MB
doesn't seem so, i've bought the 2MB version now for less money @ _http://www.e-bug.de/
FortiTude

Been running maxtor 40 gig el cheapo for about a year.No complaints yet.The fastest drive i've owned was 13.6 Western Digital 7200 rpm with 2mb cache.It wasnt the most stable,but it was fast for sure.

Drives

I have 2 60 gig quantom fireballs ata 100
1 40 gig segate ata 100
1 40 gig maxtor ata 100

and they all work fine the only thing i have ever had a problem with was a western digital.
btw my maxtor works perfect in win2k

:D

any new maxtor hard-drive bought before 1 october 2002 should have a 3 year warranty.

i've sent a few drives back directly to maxtor WITHOUT an invoice.

Don't be fooled if the supplier offers 1 year. the bad news is that you're going to have to have to pay custom duties etc. which is a real bitch.

I work for a computer company and we've stopped buying maxtor hard-drives completely, unless there is a specific request. I've had endless problems with them, and maxtor's support is absolutely useless!

We've switched to Seagate, which offers great support and i have yet to have any probs with them !

(interestingly enough though, i've got a 40gb maxtor 7200 in my pc and it's still going well...)

Laz

He, he . :D

Missed this thread somehow.

Well at least (those with brains anyway) we have worked out that Maxtor HD's are pretty much the best by far, and yes WD are also very good. Trust me as a system builder I had used IBM's for years.......until the piece of crap that is the 120GXP reared it's ugly head!

Just put "120GXP" in Google and you will read horror stories all over the net! I've had more systems returned in the last year with failed HD's than the last 6 years put together! And yes, all the same IBM's! I've now changed to Maxtor's and not had one single problem, as poko said if ya don't have good cooling though you are asking for trouble with the 7,200 drives. I mean, it's only about £18 in the UK for say a Thermaltake alu HD cooler.

dx

Yeah, I was one of those suckers who bought a IBM 75GXP. In the past IBM was known for quality hard drives esp their SCSI line of drives. I sold 100's of IBMs when I was in computer sales in my past. I don't recall ever seing one come back.

However since the GXP series, IBM's just plain suck! My 75GXP had been RMA'd twice and my third drive is now showing early signs of failure. And before you ask...yes, I'm using HD coolers and good ventilation. As Laz pointed out IBM has still not fixed this problem with the 120GXP line of drives a full 3 years after the 75GXPs began to be sold.

Moral of the story...don't buy IBM! :mad:

dx

joripe said:
dxkim said

& then dxkim said

dxkim U a prohet or what tell me the winner of the sixth race at Belmont :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Ummm...was I confusing? As I said...my third (3rd) IBM was showing early signs of drive failure and now that third drive has now failed.

I give up...no IBM anymore. I just can't trust their drives with important data.

Nevertheless...I am still a Prophet! I forsee that you will return to this Forum again and again and again! ;)