Maxtor Hard Drives Suck

I have my Maxtor 30 gig for about 1 1/2 years. It now overheats, then starts making noises. It has only 1 year warranty. Has anyone had similiar experience or has gotten good life out of one?
Should I look for different brand like Western Digital?

L

Lakeside

Is that you (James "Henry"). Yes, Maxtor sucks, lol If that is you James Henry email me asap

Lakeside (Don)Lakeside

i've always gotten pretty good service from maxtor drives. i've probably had more western digitals die on me but then i've probably used a lot more of them. i avoid fujitsu, conner and quantum. and i'm pretty sure that maxtor and quantum have now merged so we will see how the new ones go.

L

Lakeside

I had the exact opposite. WD drives never failed me, but Maxtor has. I had serious issues with Maxtor/Win2k :mad:

Lakeside

L

Lakeside

@poko Right back at cha' :p

Lakeside
Maxtor sucks...........

pokopiko said:
@ Lakeside: thanks for the heads up on the Maxtor incompatibility with Win2K! :p
yeah, wish i had known that before i started installing them in all my win2k servers a couple of years ago. :cool: :cool:

WESTERN DIGITAL. without doubt the best. Superb after sales service. Seagate - without doubt, SHITE after sales service.
Maxtor ? To be honest, the one I had was fine.

i've had quantum,maxtor,ibm,western digital and seagate drives.
out of them all i've had no probs with maxtor(now merged with quantum as netman said) and the ibm drives..in fact i've got a 40g Maxtor DiamondMax+ D740X ata133 7200rpm and an 80g IBM Deskstar 120GXP ata100 7200rpm at the mo..
as for the quantum fireball drives i had, they all suffered from overheating...the warranty replacements are in my 2nd pc...at the end of the day you take your chances with any hard drive..

You can always find someone who has had a bad anything.
Never trust any HDD to be perfect. Back up your data often.

Maybe thats it pokopiko, It is suffering from overheating cause of lake of ventilation. There is no air movement where it is located which is right on top of another hard drive 3/16 inch clearance. I will try installing another fan.

I have recently purchased Western Ddigital and Maxtor drives. All have worked well. Also I have used IBM, Quantum, and Seagate HDD's. No problems with any of them. Personally my favorite are the IBM drives, even knowing that reports of some problems are out there.

Maxtor works fine and is compatible with Win2K. Have several systems at work with it and no hassels. Current main system at home has it and no problems either (on winXP).
As mentioned before, there are always people who dislike something or can find fault (even when none really) with everything. I know many of the board mods/admins and other people are using Maxtor with no difficulties.
Guess it all depends how well you build your system and how you treat it. Proper airflow and cooling is always needed (especially the larger the HDD capacity gets and speed).
Anyhow, my 4 cents.

Again, thanks pokopiko! I temporarely put a small 4 inch fan inside tower blowing on hard drives to test. It worked. Good thing I unplugged HD when I heard funny noise. It would of fried.I will look for HD rack with blower.

Fugitsu drives suck

I work out of my house selling computers and doing repair work
Ive had 4 30 gig fujitus returned in the last 3 months my suppler
replaced them all with 40 gig maxtors

Thanks for info you all. Maxtor wasn't problem at all so i have to recant what i said about maxtor. The installation instructions does mention proper ventilation. So, those of you adding adding hard drive make sure you have a fan blowing on it. Still wondering why Lakeside said Maxtor sucks without giving info on his experience.

My new system has 2 x 80gb Maxtor 7200 drives, only been running for a few days, but no problems so far, thank goodness.

I agree with moggy, If you want to complain about a hard drive then look no futher than Fujitsu... they have all the reliabilty of a bent floppy disk! Maxtor is O.K. but I perfer Western Digital or IBM drives if the cash is coming out of my pocket.:cool:

L

Lakeside

ohhenry59
Ask my friend Gary Scott and Jan who work on pc's on a daily basis. Both have had their fair share of bad luck with Maxtor hd's and have reported to me serious issues with Win2k/Maxtor. Both
have returned numerous Maxtor hd's back to vender. Both of these gentlemen have been in the pc repair business for over 5 years. I just don't trust buying a Maxtor based on these facts reported to me :D

Lakeside