For people who need good bt client

After tryuing it for 3 weeks i can say that utorrent is the best client i ever had.
I was using azerous for a long time,2202 version as the latest one was not running goodeverything was ok apart from using a tons of resources-still i had to live with that as azerous is the top,but i found a good audio tracker and couldnt download-i was getting a message that my client is outdated and to update to newest version so i checked for new clients and utorrent is the best client easily with tons of options and ram consuming of huge 5mb and 0 % cpu??????
I download 7 torrents at a time and seed more then 10 and its nothing happening-cpu is so low??Its just one exe and its 100kb?????
Check it out and you will drop your azerous,bittornado..whatever client you got-guaranteed!!!!
i still cant belive how good is this bt client:) :) :)

http://www.utorrent.com/
And this is link with the lates beta-dont worry its stable as software can be
http://www.utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.2.1-beta3.exe

Last edited:
itys a killer app bud-i love the dmn thing couse bitorrent is important part of my family-and its working now like a swiss clock:) :) :) :)
I uninstalled azerous and my cpu is so low that i feel so weird now bud as everything is fast!!:D :D :D

Your "swiss clock" does not remember torrents dropped in the autoload folder after each program restart (you have to change by hand the extension back to .torrent and force a recheck to get the files back intact).
It does not remember as well any torrent opened for seeding (same remedy as above).
DHT seems working, but it isn't (just try grabbing anything from an offline tracker- you will get nothing, while at the same time Azureus will grab several MB of data).
Leeching or seeding with one (or very few) peers works at best problematically- but Azureus has the same problem, to a lesser extent, so I won't complain much about it.
In general, and while it does seem a promising app in the long run:
Currently there are in such a tiny sourcecode more bugs than grains of sand in Sahara... :D
Best low overhead BT clients out there are still XBT and Arctic. This one still needs a lot of work to be considered reliable.

scarecrow said:
Your "swiss clock" does not remember torrents dropped in the autoload folder after each program restart (you have to change by hand the extension back to .torrent and force a recheck to get the files back intact).
It does not remember as well any torrent opened for seeding (same remedy as above).
DHT seems working, but it isn't (just try grabbing anything from an offline tracker- you will get nothing, while at the same time Azureus will grab several MB of data).
Leeching or seeding with one (or very few) peers works at best problematically- but Azureus has the same problem, to a lesser extent, so I won't complain much about it.
In general, and while it does seem a promising app in the long run:
Currently there are in such a tiny sourcecode more bugs than grains of sand in Sahara... :D
Best low overhead BT clients out there are still XBT and Arctic. This one still needs a lot of work to be considered reliable.

on that note and speakin to a few other testers im gunna stick with azureus for now :)

xSlyPandax

UTorrent

Well i havnt had any problems with UTorrent, but what do i know lol :( But it seems good to me, fast and easy to use and everything, and the layout is pretty similiar to Azureus which i had only just got used to, so i'm fine with it!

The last beta has resolved the problem with "vanishing" torrents, provided that you will use a different autoload directory from the default storage one. Else...

But still it's buggy, buggy, buggy (and very funny when it announces dozens of DHT peers and cannot get sh$t from them!).
Surely enough it uses 20x less RAM than a usual Azureus session, but feature and performance-wise, it is still way lacking. Since I don't have any old machine right now which can't afford the system stress Azureus demands, I have absolutely no reason to prefer that one (and fall victim to one of its unresolved bugs).
And anyway, if Azureus is very heavy for your machine, checkout this one- it's mighty good (and ugly):
http://xbtt.sourceforge.net/client/

Last edited:
Yesterday i tried xbtt client, to my great surpise the silly installer associates the .torrents with xbt (without asking to). I had a look at the forum:
User: Pls,Ask before associating torrent files with XBT
Developer:Blame Windows. :)
User: Windows loves XBT and associates torrent files immediately after seeing the program?
Developer: Yes. No, seriously, Windows should support multiple applications registering for an extension instead of only one. That'd prevent this entire situation and allow the user the choice what to do
Are you sure he is a serious guy/coder/developer? I, mostly, hate crap people than buggy progs, so, back to buggy utorrent :)
BTW, why don't you report all these bugs to utorrents's admin? think a new beta is ready, not public announced though.
Have a nice day from a rainy and cold Thessaloniki!

Back to version 0.52 or so XBT was buggy as well.
Currently its very stable and having many working features. It can be even run as a service without UI, and be controlled via your webserver (provided of course that you do run a webserver, else the standalone client is the preferrable option).

utorrent 1.2.1 final

Earlier than expected :)

µTorrent 1.2.1 has been released. It's mostly a bugfix release, but several feature requests requsted by users have been implemented too.
Grab it from the download page: http://utorrent.com/download.php

--- 2005-11-23: Version 1.2.1 (build 341)
- Feature: Feature to select if DHT should be on/off by default for torrents.
- Feature: Support compact file allocation method.
- Change: Swapped order of Upload/Download in the status bar.
- Change: Fixed problem when seeding from a CD.
- Change: Tweaked peer upload queue size.
- Change: Do not support private=1 in tracker replies.
- Change: Don't scrape stopped torrents.
- Change: Added 10000ms as a refresh interval
- Fix: Refresh window when restoring from minimize
- Fix: Fix problem with Alt-F/O etc not working.
- Fix: bind_ip should affect UPnP too.
- Fix: Don't give read-only errors when seeding a torrent.
- Fix: Color in generals tab didn't work well on dark color schemes.
- Fix: Don't allow adding the same torrent twice (even if the select directory window is open).
- Fix: 255.255.255.255 didn't work in ipblocking.
- Fix: Don't show "do you want to remove..." unless something is selected.
- Fix: Disconnect ALL seeds when becoming a seed.
- Fix: Bug in Seed ETA computation.
- Fix: Don't make multiannounce torrents if only a single tracker is entered.
- Fix: Display bug if sending/receiving >2MB/s

µTorrent 1.2.2

--- 2005-11-25: Version 1.2.2 (build 345)
- Fix: Fixed lockup when deleting a torrent.
- Fix: Center torrent properties on the main window
- Fix: Fixed rare DHT crash bug.
- Change: Show a warning message if there were problems loading a user defined language file.

:)

tested µTorrent

my results were terrible comparing the same torrent with azureus my torrent of choice was a knoppix iso 700mb or thereabouts ..

with µTorrent the seeders were quite low less than 50 compared to a few hundred for azureus.

azureus started downloading faster too and speeds reached max speeds for me almost at 320k of my 3.5m downstream far greater than the feeble 30-40k i was getting with µTorrent :mad:

so for me i will stick with azureus for now fast and reliable :)

It's results shouldn't be that bad.
I guess you are behind a router, and that in some cases can be a problem: μTorrent does not have an UpNP option available...

So far its working quite well for me. Good speeds, plenty of seeds, no problems getting files from offline trackers. It did take some configuring though.
Somehow the fact that dht needs inbound udp(same port nr as inbound tcp) seems to have been left out of the faq.

Afaik azureus uses its own dht protocol and will always show more sources(active clients globally) while utorrent uses the mainline protocol and only shows the clients your connected to.
I have been able to get some data from offline trackers with azureus when utorrent got nothing.
And i have been able to complete files with utorrent that didnt complete in azureus. These files would propably finished with any mainline client though.

:)

wats ur pick on bitcomet0.60 btw?
i shifted from azureus to bitcomet,only prob was dat 1 torrent had dropped all as being rubbish & started over again
tried utorrent,small resource usage but got low speed,same for abc
did download g3torrent,but didn't test it well

scarecrow said:
I guess you are behind a router, and that in some cases can be a problem: μTorrent does not have an UpNP option available...
yeah i am behind a router maby thats why ? :)

azureus grumbles about nat but still downloads same as ever :)

maby a few builds down the road i will try again :)

scarecrow said:
I'm behind a hardware firewall which supports Upnp (smoothwall), my router is in bridged mode and utorrent does support Upnp, works fine so far.
Options-Preferences-Network Options and check Enable UPnP port mapping.

Edit: In case your modem/router is in bridge mode (transparent), the message "Network OK" in status bar is NOT visible!

Last edited:
serjer said:
wats ur pick on bitcomet0.60 btw?
BitComet is not an option at all.
It's a leecher client (using the mainstream leecher techniques), and several BT trackers (including my favorite one) have banned it.
BTW μTorrent is already at 1.2.2, which seems working pretty well- at first sight. Even DHT works now- for the very first time.
And yes, the classical BT DHT protocol (kademlia based) isn't compatible with the Azureus one.

Last edited: