Micosoft Office XP SP2

2 days before the official release you can get it directly from the ms server:
sorry but i could only find the german version ... there is no EN-US subfolder instead of DE as usual ... :(
h**p://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/DE/oxpsp2.exe
FortiTude

-->
just found some other languages but not english:
italian:
h**p://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/it/oxpsp2.exe
french:
h**p://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/fr/oxpsp2.exe
spanish:
h**p://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/es/oxpsp2.exe

Last edited:
Fortitude, is it only for the standard version, or also for office pro?
anyway, I'll better wait till they bring out the german version of the administrative install packs so that I can update my cd. it always takes ages till they bring out the german versions. the admin versions of the June winword and excel update packs for the german version of office appeared only in July. guess sp2 german admin install will appear in Sept or even october. that's such discrimination... the english admin packs are available at the same time as the normal updates

gee, and i was just about to slipstream my SP1 (hxxp://wxw.viperlair.com/articles/guides/offxpsp1/offxpsp1.htm) :D

thanks for the heads-up FortiTude :)

kuratong said:
gee, and i was just about to slipstream my SP1 (hxxp://wxw.viperlair.com/articles/guides/offxpsp1/offxpsp1.htm) :D

thanks for the heads-up FortiTude :)
haha same here. I just finished installing Office XP SP1 and now there is SP2....

English version is now online:

hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/oxpsp2.exe

hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/oxpsp2a.exe (admin)

man, I must say Microsoft is pretty stupid. just went to the office update page, MS says office sp2 has to be installed. I say ok, it downloads, then I get the message that it cannot be applied, since it had been applied before. that's true, since I already executed all updates which are part of the sp2 prior to sp2 release, sp2 is not needed any longer. but what do I see next? the next time I use the MS update scan, I get the same message, "sp2 available". what the hell? just 2 min. ago it said that it cannot be applied. tried for three times, always the same bullshit, even though MS says that the sp2 update can be applied even if all updates which comprise the sp2 had been applied before. So I went to the admin install page, and indeed the german admin pack is already there. positive surprise, i must say. made an admin install, applied sp1 and sp2, updated my office installation from the updated admin install, went back to the office update page, scanned again, this time MS finally recognised that my installation is up to date.
For all those, who are interested in admin install, here are the instructions:

first admin install itself:

x:\setup.exe /a

then updating with admin pack sp1:

msiexec /p c:\office\MAINSP1_Admin.msp /a c:\office\proplus.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\sp1Log.log

msiexec /p c:\office\OWC10SP1_Admin.msp /a c:\office\owc10.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\owc10.log

now updating with admin pack sp2:

msiexec /p c:\copy\MAINSP2ff.msp /a c:\office\proplus.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\sp2Log.log

msiexec /p c:\copy\Owc10SP2ff.msp /a c:\office\owc10.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\owc10sp2.log

now updating your office install. if you haven't installed yet at all, well, then simply install by executing setup.exe. otherwise, to update an existing client installation:

msiexec /i c:\office\proplus.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomu /qb

msiexec /i c:\office\owc10.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomu /qb

restart the pc afterwards.

here are some useful urls:

sp2 (and basically also sp1, it's the same procedure, just different file names):

/http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/journ/Oxpsp2a.htm

english admin packs:

/http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appc00.htm

international admin packs:

/http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/appndx/appb00.htm

be careful, download the appropriate language pack. if it's not there yet for your language, wait a couple of days. the german and english ones are there

I'm not sure if this concerns all that read this thread but when applying SP2 I changed the following 2 lines....

msiexec /p c:\copy\MAINSP2ff.msp /a c:\office\proplus.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\sp2Log.log

msiexec /p c:\copy\Owc10SP2ff.msp /a c:\office\owc10.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\owc10sp2.log

to the following as I kept getting error messages. That seemed to do the trick.

msiexec /p c:\office\MAINSP2ff.msp /a c:\office\proplus.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\sp2Log.log

msiexec /p c:\office\Owc10SP2ff.msp /a c:\office\owc10.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb /L* c:\office\owc10sp2.log

Anyway thanks for the info.....it's just what I needed!

no, I think you have to apply both sp1 and sp2, because MS says that sp2 contains all updates which appeared since sp1, meaning the sp1 updates are not included. anyway, it doesn't matter, if you apply sp1 before applying sp2, it just takes a couple of minutes more

php you are in wrong...

FROM MS:

IMPORTANT: Before you install the Office XP SP-2 Client Update, install Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP-1). For additional information about how to install Office XP SP-1, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q307843 OFFXP: Overview of the Office XP Service Pack 1
NOTE: You do not have to install Office XP SP-1 before you install the Office XP SP-2 Administrative Update.

SP2amministrative is cumulative ;)

@alex_voyager:
ok, maybe I am wrong, but the point is simply you can't do anything wrong if you install sp1 before, you just lose 3 minutes you have to wait till the admin install is updated; if you are sure sp1 is not needed, then don't apply it, but I wasn't sure, so I applied both service packs
@ §uiCide§ºLutiºN:
one doesn't get any problems with corp keys if you use admin update. on the contrary, you might have problems updating, if you try normal update instead of admin update. I use the usual FM9FY-... serial everyone else is using and I had problems with normal sp1 update, e.g., but not with the admin update. so if you office copy is illegal, the admin update is the best thing you can do, unless you don't have enough hard disc space for the admin install

slipstreamed

Ive slipstreamed sp2 and had no problems but first u have to slipstreamed sp1 before putting sp2.Worked fine with corp keys