MenuModder now released for DS owners

Here it is :D and sorry for the wait :(

it will only work with DVDStripper and it's completely free :D. It will however play complete VTS VOB's (not CSS encrypted) if you use the open video option. The player may be a bit slow responsively at times but the playback code is going to be completely changed anyway but hopefully most will manage. Playback performance will also depend on how the codecs are setup on your system. Some systems may need codecs setting up properly but I will help people to do that if they need it

If anyone is a VOB/DVD playing expert with C++ then get in touch if you want to help with development of this tool as I'm looking to make it work without the need for DVDStripper

there is a donation option if you feel it's worthy and there is also a hall of fame for the donators so you can see your name up in lights if you want

all you need to do is associate your player with the MenuModder.exe as you would any other player. Also select the Auto close option for the player or you will end up with multiple MenuModders open :). It's best used with the mininav also as it defaults to the DVD video size so may take up a part of your desktop (this will again be changed in later version)

I will get a basic guide up as soon as I can as the buttons may take some working out for people. If you hover over the icons then you can see what they do and get a better idea of how it works

some basic and early user hints are HERE in this thread

I suggest you only use this AFTER processing the files on a test DVD so you get used to how it works. Don't attempt to use it with a DVD you actually want to backup at the moment until you are more experienced and a guide is available ;)

I know it has a few issues but feel free to list them as I may have missed some. I'm now looking at you guys to help develop this tool in public as it's a community thing so bugs/ideas/comments are welcome ;)

One thing I do not want are people complaining about anything as this is a 'free' tool and all I want is feedback that will help it's development and not someone just saying it 'sucks'. You have been warned as I will just edit/delete the post without warning. Be constructive guys and do it in a way you would like it to be presented to yourself ;)

if it doesn't work at all then don't panic as it's a 1st public Beta release and not the fully working version and will get better in time

so please try to ENJOY :)

main issues of concern:
  • stills with audio (plays audio 1st then picture comes afterwards!)
  • slider doesn't work well at all now (going to completely renew playback code)
  • whatever you find

if you right click a button it will toggle between deleting it and restoring it. It currently does not jump to another active button but just disables the button from doing anything if selected during playback. If a button is highlighted then pressing the Space Bar will also toggle between delete and restore

you can use the direction keys to also navigate through the buttons

when you are finished click the Save icon but don't make a backup as you don't need it. If you ever want to restore a button just highlight the button and then click the multicoloured arrows icon (Restore) and it will restore it to it's original state

to move a button or resize it just press ALT and then you can move/resize a button. It won't help much as the subpicture will not be adjusted so highlights will no linger work if you move buttons so it's a useless feature really

you can edit groups of buttons in one go if it contains wide/full screen versions by using the link buttons option

switch between groups by clicking the group icons

if you click the Editor icon it will open the list so you can modify the values manually by double clicking the value. If you right click the list then you can enable/disable the figures you want showing for each button

the preferences options should be self explanatory (if it doesn't show, click the Menumodder in the taskbar a few times)

zarish

Looks good, from what I can see.

Just an FYI, doesn't seem to work for me though, get one error followed by another when working with a menu containing video:

Initialization failure in InitRenderToSurface
Call to InitRenderToSurface failed

It then comes up with the buttons positions outlined but no video.

-=-

When I tried a static portion of the menu I got the following errors:

File format not supported.
Call to RenderFileToMMStream failed

Again, it then comes up with the buttons positions outlined but no still image.

Figured I would let you know. XP Pro SP1, all current patches. Latest official nVidia Drivers.

Last edited:

Rille

Got the exact same problem here. Using WinXP with an Nvidia card. Using PowerDVD 5 for dvd play if it should matter.

it looks like the codecs problem :(, probably the demultiplexer

get hold of a program called Gspot HERE and then open a VOB file with it. It will tell you which codecs Windows is using to open the VOB

this is mine attached below. You can copy the text it shows in the Directshow section at the bottom and paste it here. You can change the merit values and basically get Windows to use the codecs you want and not the ones that it's current using. There are a few methods to do this if people want to know how

VIDEO=(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
AUDIO=(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> AC3Filter --> (R)

Attachments

Rille

Video: (S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
Audio: (S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> AC3Filter --> (R)

stonecutter

Mine is not working either.

Video) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> Nero Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> Nero Digital Audio Decoder --> (R)

pak2

I’ve just starting using DVDStripper and thought I’d try MenuModder. I’m getting the same “…RenderFile…” error as others above using WinXP. It’s not clear to me I’ve got the program associations set properly. In DS, I set the “Menu Items” viewer to “alt. Player” and define the alternate player location as the MenuModder.exe file (is that right?). When I double-click a menu item in DS, MenuModder opens and I get the render error. What I DIDN’T do was associate MenuModder with a player, as MackemX instructed in his post starting this thread. WinXP does not offer the “Open With..” option for individual “exe” files. Is an association to a player needed for the MenuModder executable to function properly?

Paul

pak2

Oops, I should read my own error messages! I’m not getting the same render error as others. Mine is: “Initialization failure in InitRender ToSurface”. Sorry for that, but my question about associating to a player is the same.

Paul

pak2 said:
I’ve just starting using DVDStripper and thought I’d try MenuModder. I’m getting the same “…RenderFile…” error as others above using WinXP. It’s not clear to me I’ve got the program associations set properly. In DS, I set the “Menu Items” viewer to “alt. Player” and define the alternate player location as the MenuModder.exe file (is that right?). When I double-click a menu item in DS, MenuModder opens and I get the render error. What I DIDN’T do was associate MenuModder with a player, as MackemX instructed in his post starting this thread. WinXP does not offer the “Open With..” option for individual “exe” files. Is an association to a player needed for the MenuModder executable to function properly?

Paul
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

you don't have to right click and associate anything :). You just tell DVDStripper the location of the MenuModder.exe and it will do the rest

you also have the same codec issue as others regarding playback and maybe someone else will come up with a simple guide to fix it as mine works so I can't write a guide :(

@ anyone who wants to try to get it to work

it's sad that I couldn't find anyone to help with the playback on this player as there are plenty out there that could do it :(, but in time it will get better even if I do it the hard way

I had this issue on another PC and downloaded the Elecard codecs from here and managed to get it to work with a little user input

http://www.elecard.com/products/mpeg2decoder.shtml

I also used Filter Manager to change a couple of DirectShow merits so it used my Intervideo Video Playback codec for playback instead of the Elecard one (see pic below)

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/7/11-2-7-23.shtml

another program with some helpful codecs was the Boligego collection
http://home.no.net/boligego/download/index.htm

I strongly suggest you make a system restore point before making any changes and make sure you can restore any changes made before proceeding. You can easily mess up playback on your system by changing codecs, though you can also fix it again with a little effort

if you are not 100% certain on what to do then don't do it as I cannot be responsible if you break your PC :(, so make sure you know what you are doing before doing it!

Attachments

pak2

...change a couple of DirectShow merits so it used my Intervideo Video Playback codec....
MackemX,
If we both had web-cams, you would have seen me read this with the same expression dogs get when you try to explain quantum mechanics to them.

..if you are not 100% certain on what to do then don't do it...
This, I understand.

Thanks anyway,
Brown Dog

Rille

Switched to the MPEG-2 Demultiplexer but that caused playback problems for all streams. So i downloaded the Elcard MPEG2 Demultiplexer and tried to run that with the CyberLink Video/SP Decoder but that wouldn't work either. Had to use both demultiplexer and video decoder from Elcard :(