Convert your LiteON LDW-401S to 411S

plextorman said:
Now,if only someone could come up with a way to make the impossible possible and convert my 411S to an 811S!!!! LOL---ROTFL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes, it WILL happen soon, once the 811 firmware is cracked (the 401 411 and 811 drives are internally identical).

lemmy999

I have a few of questions about the 401s@411s.

1) I have upgraded to ES0J, do you need to have ES0G firmware in the 401s to do this change? If so, where can I find ES0G? I have searched around and can't find it. The link to it at LiteOn is no longer valid.

2) Why to you have to load 411s EEPROM, then 411s firmware, then hacked 401s (hacked w/ hexedit from 401S to 411S)? Why don't you just upload hacked 401S EEPROM then load the 411S firmware and be finished? If you must have the "real" 411S EEPROM data loaded to do a firmware load, will you have to reload the "real" 411S EEPROM everytime you want to upgrade the firmware?

3) I have read some places that you need to have the "Update Boot Code" checked when you load the firmware with LtnFlash but most people don't mention it.

Thanks.

Revolutn

Amber Flashing after "upgrade"

Ok, I've read the directions and followed them TO A T, however, even after a full shut down and all the drive will do after flashing 411S F/W is the Amber light blinks non stop.

To repair this all I did was restore my backups, and the drive instantly works even WITHOUT a reboot.

So my question is has anyone seen this behavior and or have a work around?

I've repeated the process several times, I've tried it both with and without checking the UPDATE BOOT CODE box.

The real reason I'm trying to update is that the CD-R / RW function of this drive is realllly lousy.

I can't even read perfectly good authored CD's on it that read fine in a dedicated CDRW drive....anyway I figured since the 401S update @ ES0J didn't help, maybe the 411S would have better CDR support, and of course adding -R -RW DVD support was attractive as well, since I seem to be unable to buy large spindles of + Media unlike - Media.

Any and all thoughts appreciated, and I'm not afraid to edit bins or flash eeprom's as this is really rather basic compared to some....uhm let's just say other devices I frequently edit and flash eeprom and f/w on. ;)

Thanks!

Later,
Rev.

Seems some have probs upgrading if the drive was manufactured after july 2003.
What version of ltn flash do you use?
Sorry i cant be of more help, have flashed both eeprom and firmware several times to and fro 401@411 with no similar symptoms. Also i have had no probs with cdr\rws. Might be your particular drive??
:)

Revolutn

bionic said:
Seems some have probs upgrading if the drive was manufactured after july 2003.
What version of ltn flash do you use?

I used Ltnflash 1.24 and this drive was puchased in early to Mid November so it is entirely possible that the Manufacture date is post July 2003, infact I'd say it's likely, I will look at the label when I next get a chance.

Meanwhile that begs the question of WHY what changed after 7/03....either a chip revision was changed or perhaps a checksum check was added or....a voltage based write protection was incorporated into the f/w chip perhaps like some other devices where a portion of the chip is unwritable usuall the first X number of Kb's where information is stored that causes a firmware mismatch etc etc if other code is written into the remaining unprotected sectors etc.

Who can shed light on the chips used on the controller board on these model drives?

Thanks,
Rev.

jhendrickx

Hi folks, I 'patched' my 401S to 411S (mine was manufactured 17-Jul-2003), and the whole process was made fine (thanks to all who helped ;) ). Now the Nero InfoTool and other utilities reports the 411S as a Dual DVD Writer, but I bought a 3 blanks DVD and still the drive keeps running? (with the activity [green] led flashing) ... just like it did before the patch.

I think can be the blank DVD, but I want to know what other thing can I do?

BTW: I have read in some parts to modify the 401S firmware with WinHex and write it back to the drive; in other sites they recommends to run the patcher2.exe program (does this program the replace trick)? Am I doing something wrong? How can I _efectively_ check if my drive now is -R/+R? This guy sells a lot of this blanks DVDs and I'm the only one with complaints.

Thanks again for your kindly help,
Jean H//

@Revolutn
You can find the manufacture date in the eeprom, (read eeprom in ltnflash) the date should be shown somewhere in the right side collumn, something like ...0.....20030715.... just with different numbers :)

@jhendrickx
The winhex(or any other hex editor) hack does the same as the eeprom patcher. I used the patcher, with no probs.

Its muy importante to update with the latest firmware as this drive had some troubles with earlier frimwares. Also this drive can be a little picky on the media. So the best way to check is probably to buy some dvd-r(rws)(perhaps ritek or other high quality media) and burn :)

but I bought a 3 blanks DVD and still the drive keeps running? (with the activity [green] led flashing) ... just like it did before the patch.
Could you elaborate a little on this(what media brand, + or -).
What is the problem exactly? :)

jhendrickx

Hi Bionic, thanks for your fast answer. Below is my explanation ...

but I bought a 3 blanks DVD and still the drive keeps running? (with the activity [green] led flashing) ... just like it did before the patch.
I bought 3 DVD-R blanks disks to test the 'new feature' (-R ability). But when I inserts a blank disk the drive's led starts to blink just like reading the media. It lasts about a minute or so ... then I start Nero and try to burn a DVD, but Nero gives a message to insert a disk ... exactly the same behaviour it had before the patch; so I think the DVD driver isn't recognizing this media (Blank DVD).

I'm downloading the last firmware (411s), and I'll give it a try ...

Thanks again ...
Jean H//

Last edited:

jhendrickx

I download the last firmware version of 411s (FS0F) and now everything works fine!!. I want to thanks to all of you who helped me to solve this situation, specially Bionic.

Thanks again,
Jean H//

geishaslave

401S 70 411s, 811S with drive manuf Sep 2003.

Bought a Liteon LDW-401S.

Flashed to ESOJ.

Found out about 401S@411S.

Went here:

http://liteon401s.front.ru/index_eng.htm

and tried the procedure.

Result: Flashing/blinking yellow LED. It failed to work :(

Flashed back to ESOJ, no problem :)

Did some more research, found solution to go to 411S and learned about effort to go to 811S.

Tweak for successful 401S@411S:

Make sure to first back up the eeprom section of your LDW-401S. My understanding is that the eeprom portion is calibrated for the drive laser at the factory so is necessary for optimal performance. Before you try to do it, ensure that the 401S is at firmware level ESOG. I saw a post from a guy who figured this out. From what I understand, LiteOn put in a hotfix with their flash utils released after September that disables the use of LTNFlash. So I flashed my 401S back to ESOG (there is a util called fixflash that removes the LiteOn lockout on reverse flashing) then tried again and was successful :D

Next tried to flash to an 811S, but no go from various start points. I learned that the 811S has the same chipset, but a different drive motor to enable 8X DVD burns, so 401S/411S@811S looks doubtful folks.

Flashed the converted 411S up to FSOG then learned that the 'G' firmware (as well as the latest for some others) had been removed. The posts I saw said something about a bug in the DVD writing module. Saw some other posts from those using FSOG and having no problems. Think I am going to not worry about it and install the next fw update that comes out for the LDW-411S.

You need links?

Try these:

http://www.liteon.ab.pl/index.php?ac=downl&p=1

http://liteon401s.fm.interia.pl

http://liteon401s.front.ru/

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/

---

Revolutn

bionic said:
@Revolutn
You can find the manufacture date in the eeprom, (read eeprom in ltnflash) the date should be shown somewhere in the right side collumn, something like ...0.....20030715.... just with different numbers :)
Ok, thanks I didn't scroll that far down before to see the date encoded backwards.

Alas my Manufacture date is 20030811, which I assume is August 11th, 2003....well beyond the potential manufacturer date threshold.

This drive is starting to irritate me.....what good is CDR support if none of my discs work in it! Next stop might be a call to customer service to raise heck.

Still curious about the manufacturing changes....anyone with insight?

Thanks.

Later,
Rev.

Revolutn

geishaslave said:
Bought a Liteon LDW-401S.
Tweak for successful 401S@411S:

Make sure to first back up the eeprom section of your LDW-401S. My understanding is that the eeprom portion is calibrated for the drive laser at the factory so is necessary for optimal performance. Before you try to do it, ensure that the 401S is at firmware level ESOG. I saw a post from a guy who figured this out. From what I understand, LiteOn put in a hotfix with their flash utils released after September that disables the use of LTNFlash. So I flashed my 401S back to ESOG (there is a util called fixflash that removes the LiteOn lockout on reverse flashing) then tried again and was successful :D

You need links?

Try these:

http://www.liteon.ab.pl/index.php?ac=downl&p=1

http://liteon401s.fm.interia.pl

http://liteon401s.front.ru/

http://dhc014.rpc1.org/

---

Dude!

You ROCK!

BY regressing my drive back to ES0G I was able to spoon feed it 411S f/w @ FS0B and once that worked it updated using the latest FS0F exe from liteon.

Awesome!

Now to hope my CDR situation improves.....in the mean time....hello -R -RW DVD spindles!

Thanks a bunch.

Later,
Rev.

geishaslave

Update: LiteOn LDW-401S to 411s.

Thanks Revolutn.

Let's hear from others. Post and Share.

Here are the results of 2 successful burns I did with the 401S@411S (firmware FSOG).

Mastering software: Ahead Nero 551054.

CD-R blank: Imix CD-R 80MIN/700MB, 48x max.
Burn Speed: 40x.
Time: 2min 46sec to burn 606MB.
CD-R Indentifier v1.63 reported an ATIP of 97m 26s 66f and the CDR media code indentifier as CMC Magnetics, dye (short strategy, eg phthalocyanine). Nominal capacity of 20.83MB or 79m 59s 73f/LBA: 359848.

DVD+R blank: Unknown, came with drive.
Burn Speed: 4X.
Time:12min 38sec to burn 4.1GB.
DVD Identifier v3.2 reports--
Manufacturer= Ricoh.
Media Type ID= R01.
Recording speeds= 2.4x - 4x.
Max capacity was 4.7GB.

Happy New Year to all!

geishaslave

http://www.dawnsky.com/

---

Bond0075 said:
Yes, it WILL happen soon, once the 811 firmware is cracked (the 401 411 and 811 drives are internally identical).
Errr..Are you sure about this?? I was under the impression the 811 had a different updated internal drive motor to the other two.....Bound to cause problems..It would resemble trying to launch a space rocket fuelled by bog standard gasoline (petrol)-it wouldn`t even get off the ground..... :D
A silly example,maybe-but you get the picture....

The drives are identical :)
Theres been a few sucsessfull upgrades and the 411@811 will burn dvd+r at 8x, problems arise however with sertant dvd-r media brands. Its just a matter of time before a eeprom\firmware patcher is released (if its not out already) allowing "safe" upgrading.

pmpmr

help me!!

hello,
i have read all the steps e done it, but the writer lights went orange and he doesn't read anything. i made all the steps in the right order, i have also backup up the 401s stuff.
i have done:
1. Remove the CD from Recorder, if it is inside. -> ok
2. Start LtnFlash, choose LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S, and backup firmware and EEPROM !!! -> ok
3. Flash the drive with EEPROM 411S.(section eeprom load file 441s?) -> ok
4. After flash EEPROM, flash 411S firmware. (update in flash section) -> ok
5. Open your drive's backup EEPROM in hex editor. I do it in WinHex.
6. Find string LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S and change it in LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S. (here 'i have doubt, i can't change dvd+rw to dvdrw, i tried several things)
7. Write patched EEPROM in drive (section eeprom write the backup 401s??)

ps- after step7, if the lights on dvd rw are orange it means that i haven't converted, rigth? and do i need to restart de pc

thank you

sorry for my english, i'm portuguese!

pmpmr said:
i forgot to tell that i don't have the 411S - FSOG, i can't find it, can i use the FSOH?? Thx
Make sure the string "LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S" has 2 space (hex 20) characters at the end.