Convert your LiteON LDW-401S to 411S

Requirements:
1. Program LtnFlash 1.2.4
2. EEPROM 411S and Patched EEPROM 401S,
3. 411S Firmware,
4. WinHex or other hex editor.
5. Lite-On LDW-401S DVD Recorder

How to do it:
1. Remove the CD from Recorder, if it is inside.
2. Start LtnFlash, choose LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S, and backup firmware and EEPROM !!!.
3. Flash the drive with EEPROM 411S.
4. After flash EEPROM, flash 411S firmware.
5. Open your drive's backup EEPROM in hex editor. I do it in WinHex.
6. Find string LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S and change it in LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S.
7. Write patched EEPROM in drive.

Don't change sequence of steps. Because it will not works.

And thats all! It's works!!!

Remember, you flash it for your own risk.

Dvd-r\rw support.

Note! this is reported to work by a few but not all.
At this point in time its not advisable to try this, even if one should get hold of the 411s files and 401s eeprom patcher.

Edit: This is from the cdfreaks forum
----
Right now we do NOT in any way allow the discussing of or linking to LTNFLASH or any guides/posts on how to convert the Lite-On LDW-401S to anything else than a LDW-401S!

Lite-On/mediatek have only paid + format licensing fees for this writer so it should not be upgraded to also support the - format. This is somewhat illegal and both Lite-On/mediatek and us(cdfreaks) may get in problems if we convert our drives or discuss the converting of these drives.

And so far, the few actual tries have been somewhat less successful anyways, some drives have got degraded write quality as well.
----

Nuff said :)

Last edited:
You shouldn't believe everything you read on cdfreaks!

The fact of the matter is that you CAN convert a LDW-401S to a LDW-411S using the published method.

cdfreaks don't condone the use of ltnflash, which they say should never have been made public.

I have converted my LDW-401S, and it works just like a LDW-411S drive in every way. (My Pioneer 106 is still my preferred DVD writer though, now that it can be made region free, and rip speed limiter removed)

As always _____your mileage may vary______

Oh I dont :)

And i know it works, cause im also the owner of a very well functioning 401s@411s.

Still i think that peeps need to be aware of the potential damage they might do to their drives(most flashing involves a risk) and i think they also should be aware of the fact that it is illegal, what they choose to do with that information is up to them :)

Last edited:
Why are so many other forums (CDFreaks, rpc1.org for example) so paranoid about this? They forbid all discussion of upgrading a 401 to 411. What exactly are the problems? They won't even explain what their problem is, it's all hidden in cloak and dagger doubletalk and obfuscation. They claim that someone would be harmed, but they won't say who or how.

The 401 is now an obsolete drive, probably no longer sold since they have the 411 and 811 out now. Who gives a hoot if an 401 owner decides to flash the thing with 411 firmware and eeprom? Is the -R media consortium going to come after individuals? I think not, it would cost them more than they could ever recover in damages.

And since LiteOn has not sold a 401 that would work stock with -r/rw media, and since they officially do not condone or support upgrading a 401 to 411, seems like they are immune as well.

The cat is out of the bag on this, even on the sites that do not allow the discussion, it is obvious that it's possible to do the upgrade, simply from the clampdown on all discussion that has happened. The LTNFlash utility is easily found with a Google search.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. Anyone???

Heres some ramblings on the subject :)
Some sites are somewhat dependent on liteon for troubleshooting, news, leaked files etc and this info gives these sites a lot of publicity and "cred".
In turn liteon is somewhat dependent on those sites for publicity and general info on drive\media troubles and errors.
Some of the publicity that liteon has gotten has to do with overclocking their drives, wich is not illegal, and therefore warned against but not directly fought.
I mean they do get to advertise (sell) a lot more this way, and they keep releasing overclockable drives\firmwares\tools. Just look at the hype surrounding the 401@411. If you havent heard of liteon before you probably have now.
Then again if too many people report that their drives got boinked during overclocking liteon in turn gets bad publicity.
So its important for them all to keep a surten balance to keep(increase) their customers, users and "cred". And to keep on feeding off eachother.
Theres also a point of legality when it comes to the 401@411. The dvd-r format has not been licensed for the 401 and that makes this upgrade illegal, and therefore liteon\mediatek has to do "all" they can to stop this, or they would appear unserious and loose "cred" in the manufacturer\corporate world. I guess thats why they "lean" on some sites to stop spreading info on the subject.
Last is the point of not wanting peeps to boink their drives. We all (hopefully) know flashing eeproms and firmwares always contains a risk. If those sites or liteon did not warn about this danger, they would come across as unserious and not caring for their users\customers, again this would lead to bad publicity etc.
Of course all serious manufacturers should discourage their costumers from voiding their warranty.

:)

Last edited:
There are also reports that it does not make a particularly GOOD DVD-R (+/-) drive - and quite possibly neither does the TRUE 411.

If you check any compatibilty chart, most "dual" writers favour the type of media (+R or -R) where their makers primary skill lies.

I over use this chart
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/site/images/new/notes/compat.htm
But it IS pretty Representative.

Pioneer started with DVD-R - and almost uniquely, with the 106, produced a really good all-rounder.
The Dual SONY, quite good all round, but clearly prefers +R.
Panasonic - -R only, and a clear split between good/bad media.
NEC - a prime example of +R going to dual, and VERY fussy on -R media - the Liteon is not listed, but this is probably the kind of result to expect.
*** You CANNOT reflash the NEC to DUAL - though it is reported that you CAN flash the 2x to 4x (ND1000 to ND1100)

I thought DUAL was the answer, but it looks more and more that +R has the edge in many ways, and looks to have a better path to higher speeds - at the moment, -R media can usually be found a little cheaper, but there seems to be more "junk" in -R media than in +R

guinhill

Ok call me stupid, but please help me

I Made A nice back up of the firmware of my 401S burner, just like I should. Now I made A mistake in converting it to the 411S status.
Ok no prob i just put the origional back in. Is the File Damaged, beond repair, Not a single thing I can do about it. I search the web for a origional 401s bin file, nowere to be found.
Can some one please send me their back up, please.
My email is Sir_Guinhill@Hotmail.com and Sir_Guinhill@wanadoo.nl .
You would realy help me out.

Please do not send me the .exe file from liteon web site, it wont work.

guinhill said:
I Made A nice back up of the firmware of my 401S burner, just like I should. Now I made A mistake in converting it to the 411S status.
Ok no prob i just put the origional back in. Is the File Damaged, beond repair, Not a single thing I can do about it. I search the web for a origional 401s bin file, nowere to be found.
Can some one please send me their back up, please.
My email is Sir_Guinhill@Hotmail.com and Sir_Guinhill@wanadoo.nl .
You would realy help me out.

Please do not send me the .exe file from liteon web site, it wont work.
You might like to try this site: http://liteon401s.front.ru/

You will find a few eeproms there.

You might also try a Google search for FLASHFIX - a little utility that allows you to flash any version of Liteon firmware to any drive - so be very careful with it.

Here's a link: http://digi.rpc1.org/flashfix.htm

Good luck

Last edited:

guinhill

Yes, that is it, Thank you.
If this screen wasn't in the way I would Kiss you eaven thinking you are a man so heapy I'm I

Thank's.

Last edited:
guinhill said:
No, i wish I only neaded the eeprom, but i nead the firmware from the drive is self ( you know the 1024 Kb one ).
Well, check out flashfix, it will allow you to patch the .exe file from Liteon site, so that it will flash / update your drive.

i.e. download DR4ES0G.EXE, patch it with flashfix, then run it, your drive will once again be an LDW-401S