Real Audio RM to WAV converstion software

I'm hunting for a simple program that will convert a Real Audio RM audio file to a wav file. I see many programs that want me to play the RM file in Real One and then "record" the sound as a wav. That's not what I'm looking for. I want a program that directly converts RM to WAV. If anyone knows of one, please advise me.

I got the job done, but had go about it in a round about fashion. I used Real One to burn the rm file to an audio CD then ripped the CD-DA track with EAC to get the wav on my hard drive.

There has to be a better way. Seems like I remember a program way back (1998) that used to do this and was free, but got shut down by Real. Ring a bell?

I checked out Wisecroft Ripper 2, but it did not recognize the rm format.

Thanks for your help.

dbPowerAMP can do it, although I think only in realtime. Graphedit should be able to do it much quicker I would think.

Simply render the file, delete the directsound/waveout filter and replace it with wav dest and file writer filters. Then simply hit play.

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

Does Tinra and Winamp limited to doing the conversion in real time only?

Are the above two free?

Are there any free ones available which are not limited to real time converting?

Thanks.

Mr. Muddle

Well like I said in the first reply; Graphedit. Definatly free and I just tested a ~1min sample and it took maybe 2secs to convert so also definatly much faster than realtime.

Mr. Muddle

RM to WAV Q for celtic_druid

Hi CD.

So what you are saying is that I can download Graphedit, put one of my Real audio files into its mixer bowl and out comes a wav file at the other end in a one-conversion process?

If so, then are there any instructions on how this can be done?

I know that dBPowerAmp only does it in real time, which is no use to me.

I have also just come across info that Tinra only converts to AVI, so I would first have to convert to AVI using Tinra and then from AVI to WAV using another program. Is this correct?

Wisecroft Ripper looks really good and simple but it's not free. Why is it that there aren't many free programs like this around? Why have Real sued another similar program maker but not this one?

Thanks.

Kinda, but it isn't exactly that simple. Basically just render the file, delete the sound renderer and replace it with a wav dest and filewriter filter. Hit play and instead of playing out of the speakers it will save it as a PCM wav. If I had a rm file lying around I would post a screenshot of the filter chain for you, but I don't.

Ok, attatched a screenshot of something similar, infact very similar if the your files happen to use aac.

Attachments

Mr. Muddle

Thanks CD.

And all this can be done from within the GraphEdit program?

Does this process cause any loss in quality of the sound?

What's aac?

Thanks.

No it shouldn't, just a direct PCM stream of what would otherwise have been coming out of your speakers.

Graph should look the same, except rm instead of mkv, real splitter instead of matroska one and probably a different decoder.

http://www.dolby.com/DolbyAAC/ Latest version of Real player/producer supports aac audio. Also don't be suprised if ac3dec pops up in your filter chain as older versions of real used AC3.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks CD.

Sounds wonderful!

I assume that it works with any newer versions of Real Player. (The other programs like Tinra and the one that was sued both only worked with G2 I've read.)

Hope to try it out very soon. Be expecting me back here asking why it won't work!

Mr. Muddle

Hi celtic_druid.

Well I did tell you I'd be back when it didn't work!

I downloaded GraphEdit from http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/graphedit.html

This IS the right one, right?

I unzipped the zip file and clicked on the 'GraphEdt' icon. There wasn't any installation process; the GraphEdit interface window simply popped up. I clicked 'File' from the menu bar and then 'Render Media File'. I then selected a .RM audio file from my harddisk but recieved the following error message:

'Could not construct a graph from this file

- Have you installed all necessary filters?
- Note that the 'Render File' menu option cannot render *.GRF files

Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. (Return code: 0x80040265)'

I read the 'read me' file which instructs-

'To install simply double click on register bat. If it comes up with some errors search for regsvr32.exe and put the full path of that file before every call to regsvr32 in the batch file and run it again.'

I DID get the bunch of errors it mentions but I don't understand what the above instructions are. What do I do? I've found the regsvr32.exe file in the Windows/System folder. How do I put the info in the batch file? I get a blacj screen with a bunch of bad commands but I cannot edit these at all.

There's also a file called 'SysEnum' in the GraphEdit zip folder. Do I need to click on this also?

Thanks.

Mine came with the Direct-X SDK, something you really probably don't want to download though.

Sooooo, Have you installed all necessary filters?

GraphEdit renders directshow graphs and therefor requires directshow filters for any file that you want to render. So make sure that you have real player installed and Gabest's real media splitter.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=87719
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68399

About all that other stuff, just make sure that wavdest.ax is registered.

Mr. Muddle

celtic_druid said:
Mine came with the Direct-X SDK, something you really probably don't want to download though.
Why?

celtic_druid said:
Sooooo, Have you installed all necessary filters?
1. What on Earth are filters?
2. How do I know which ones I need?
3. How do I install them?

celtic_druid said:
GraphEdit renders directshow graphs and therefor requires directshow filters for any file that you want to render. So make sure that you have real player installed and Gabest's real media splitter.
I downloaded the latest Real Media Splitter from the link you provided, however, that has not made any difference. The zip file only contained two files (RealMediaSplitter.ax and RealMediaSplitter.ax). Looks like two of the same thing to me! They are 'no application' file icons.

celtic_druid said:
About all that other stuff, just make sure that wavdest.ax is registered.
How do I do that?

How do I do the following?-

''To install simply double click on register bat. If it comes up with some errors search for regsvr32.exe and put the full path of that file before every call to regsvr32 in the batch file and run it again.'

I don't know if you've realised it yet or not, but I really do not have a clue what the GraphEdit 'read me' file is talking about and I don't have a clue about anything else, so if you could explain these things in baby language, then I'd greatly appreciate it. 'make sure that wavdest.ax is registered' and 'put the full path of that file before every call to regsvr32 in the batch file and run it again' mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to me. A few instructions would be nice!!

What is the doom9 link for?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The doom9 link explains how to install real player without all the BS.

Because the DirectX SDK is a reasonably large download full of stuff which you don't need. I however did need it and that is why I downloaded it, not to get the latest version of graphedit.

1. Filters are used to render the file.
2. Already covered.
3. With Regsvr32.exe as in the bat.

You will find that one of them is a unicode version (release_unicode) and the other not. Install the unicode version if your OS supports unicode (win2k, XP).

regsvr32 should be in your system32 directory and therefor not require a full path.

Code:
; RegSvr32 Shell Extension
; Registriere DLL, OCX, EXE per Rechtsklick
; Win 9x, NT4 & 2k
; Release 1.0
;
; By Gej 03.03.2000
[Version]
signature="$chicago$"

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles=Files.inf
AddReg=Reg.Add,Reg.Uninstall

[DefaultInstall.ntx86]
CopyFiles=Files.inf
AddReg=Reg.Add,Reg.Uninstall.NT

[DefaultUninstall]
DelFiles=Files.inf
DelReg=Reg.Add,Reg.Uninstall,Reg.Uninstall.NT,Reg.Remove,

[SourceDisksNames]
1="%01%",,1

[Reg.Uninstall]
HKLM,%UnInstallPath%,DisplayName,,%UninstallDispName%
HKLM,%UnInstallPath%,UninstallString,,"%10%\rundll.exe setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %17%\%InfFile%"

[Reg.Uninstall.NT]
HKLM,%UnInstallPath%,DisplayName,,%UninstallDispName%
HKLM,%UnInstallPath%,UninstallString,,"%11%\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %17%\%InfFile%"

[Reg.Add]
HKCR,.ocx\shell\RegOCX,,,Register
HKCR,.ocx\shell\RegOCX\command,,,"regsvr32 %1"
HKCR,.ocx\shell\UnRegOCX,,,UnRegister
HKCR,.ocx\shell\UnRegOCX\command,,,"regsvr32 /u %1"
HKCR,.ax\shell\RegAX,,,"Register Filter"
HKCR,.ax\shell\RegAX\command,,,"regsvr32 %1"
HKCR,.ax\shell\UnRegAX,,,"UnRegister Filter"
HKCR,.ax\shell\UnRegAX\command,,,"regsvr32 /u %1"
HKCR,dllfile\shell\RegDLL,,,Register
HKCR,dllfile\shell\RegDLL\command,,,"regsvr32 %1"
HKCR,dllfile\shell\UnRegDLL,,,UnRegister
HKCR,dllfile\shell\UnRegDLL\command,,,"regsvr32 /u %1"
HKCR,exefile\shell\RegEXE,,,"Register Server"
HKCR,exefile\shell\RegEXE\command,,,"%1 /regserver"
HKCR,exefile\shell\UnRegEXE,,,"UnRegister Server"
HKCR,exefile\shell\UnRegEXE\command,,,"%1 /unregserver"

[Reg.Remove]
HKCR,.ocx\shell\RegOCX
HKCR,.ocx\shell\RegOCX\command
HKCR,.ocx\shell\UnRegOCX
HKCR,.ocx\shell\UnRegOCX\command
HKCR,.ax\shell\RegAX
HKCR,.ax\shell\RegAX\command
HKCR,.ax\shell\UnRegAX
HKCR,.ax\shell\UnRegAX\command
HKCR,dllfile\shell\RegDLL
HKCR,dllfile\shell\RegDLL\command
HKCR,dllfile\shell\UnRegDLL
HKCR,dllfile\shell\UnRegDLL\command
HKCR,exefile\shell\RegEXE
HKCR,exefile\shell\RegEXE\command
HKCR,exefile\shell\UnRegEXE
HKCR,exefile\shell\UnRegEXE\command

[Strings]
InfFile="RegShExt.inf"
SetupRegPath="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup"
UninstallDispName="RegSvr32 Shell Extension"
UnInstallPath="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RegSvr32ShellExtension"

[DestinationDirs]
Files.Inf=17

[Files.Inf]
RegShExt.inf
You can use the above to register/unregister the ax files if you like. Just save it as RegShExt.inf and Install it. You can then right click on the files and select register.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks for all the help CD.

I don't think I have the required knowledge to carry out any of the suggestions here. I just don't understand any of it.

Do you know who the makers of GraphEdit are? I think I should ask them what they mean by the following 'To install simply double click on register bat. If it comes up with some errors search for regsvr32.exe and put the full path of that file before every call to regsvr32 in the batch file and run it again.' because I think that this is the first logical step in trying to solve the problem.

....and also to let them know what I think of their stupid so-called instructions. What do they think? That everyone who uses their program is a genius?!

Mr. Muddle said:

I don't think I have the required knowledge to carry out any of the suggestions here. I just don't understand any of it.
....and also to let them know what I think of their stupid so-called instructions. What do they think? That everyone who uses their program is a genius?!
this has become a quite interesting post to follow. I have to congrat Mr. Muddle for his bluntness. To be honest I can't understand much myself about how to setup damm Graphedit. I'm sure Celtic Druid is making it's best in giving advice, but this has came down to some pretty murky terrains for most. Computers are not for geniouses, but to get a little under it's trivial surface is just for very obstinate people with lot's of time on their hands and a certain capacity for finding your way arround before getting frustrated. Having access to the right people willing to share their experience is also a great thing, but you have to do your share of searching, studying and lots, lots of trial and error.

You need StreamBox Ripper v2.0.0.9 Info is for v2.0.0.11

http://www.sonicspot.com/streamboxripper/

StreamBox Ripper converts audio files and CD tracks to MP3 and WMA files. The software can convert to and from any of the supported file formats (RealAudio MP3, WMA and WAV) from any originating format. It also includes a batch conversion mode, which converts all files in a specific directory.

Previous versions of StreamBox Ripper (also known as Ra2Wav) converted RealAudio (.ra and .rm) files into WAV files. However, due to legal issues, Streambox Ripper no longer converts RealAudio or any RealMedia files.

Features:

Converts MP3 files to WAV and Windows Media Audio (WMA)
Converts (rips) CD audio tracks to MP3, WAV and WMA
Support for MP3 tags
CDDB (online Compact Disc Database) support
CD track information window
Built-in 10 line equalizer and amplifier
Decodes WAV uncompressed, MP3, CD Digital Audio (built-in CD Ripper)
Encodes to MP3, WAV uncompressed, Windows Media Audio 4.0
Powerful "batch" mode for media producers. Ability to listen files in "real time" before encoding.

Last edited: