Real Audio RM to WAV converstion software

Makers of graphedit? Well that would be Microsoft however I am not sure who exactly is resposible for the readme.

As I said if you install the above inf then you can just right click and select register rather than running the bat.

What they mean is that if you run the bat and you get and error about regsvr32 not being recognised then change the bat so instead of just regsvr32 wavdest.ax /s you would change it to the actual path such as c:\windows\system\regsvr32 wavdest.ax /s if you were running 9x/ME on your C drive. d:\windows\system32\regsvr32 if you were running XP on d or e:\winnt\system32'regsvr32 for win2k on e.

As I said the location should be set in your path and therefor the above shouldn't matter.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks Jasmin.

When I mentioned 'the one that was sued', it was Streambox Ripper that I was referring to. I didn't want to use that incase it was illegal. Is it really illegal or is it just a case of the makers agreeing not featuring a Real Audio conversion anymore?

Anyway, CD, there is already a GraphEdit icon in my downloaded zipfile, as you know already, so why does the GraphEdit readme then instruct me to click on the stupid bat file to install???? If the GraphEdit icon is already there, doesn't that mean that the program is already installed?!

I tried rendering an mp3 files instead of an rm file and the filters appeared fine! This means that the problem may be with rendering a rm file and not an installation issue.

I've downloaded the RealMediaSplitter you suggested, but how do I install it?

Graphedit requires no install it is just an EXE file. The install bat is for installing some additional filters of which wavdest is the only one that you actually need.

To install wavdest and the realmediasplitter filters after you have installed the above inf you can just right click and select register.

You will also as I think I already said need to have real player or at least its codecs installed.

Just occured to me that you can probably use mplayer/mencoder to convert, although that is probably even more of a challange. Then again mplayer whatever.rm -ao pcm it then outputs it to audiodump.wav or use -aofile to specify a filename also -vo null if you want the audio from an av file. Just did an mp3 and it converted pretty quick. I would assume that same is true for rm files. You may need some extra codecs, which you just place in a codecs subfolder, no install required.

If you like I could do a package containing an mplayer build with real codecs enabled, the real codecs and the mplayer config edited to enable pcm output. You could then just drop any rm file onto the mplayer.exe and it would convert.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks CD.

"To install wavdest and the realmediasplitter filters after you have installed the above inf you can just right click and select register."

After I have installed what? The bat file? The bat file won't install. All I keep getting is an MSDOS window with all the files listed with bad command under each one.

I already have Real One Player on my pc.

"If you like I could do a package containing an mplayer build with real codecs enabled, the real codecs and the mplayer config edited to enable pcm output. You could then just drop any rm file onto the mplayer.exe and it would convert."

Could you test it first with an rm file and also see how quickly it does the conversion?

Thanks.

UPDATE- I copied and pasted the regsvr32 file from Windows\System into the GraphEdit folder and then clicked the bat file and it worked! I then copied and pasted the RealMediaSplitter file into the GraphEdit folder, right-clicked the bat file, chose edit and entered the path for the RealMediaSplitter file. I then saved it and clicked on the bat file again and got a message telling me that the RealMediaSplitter was successfully regsitered.

So now that I managed to register the wavdest file (and the others that came with GraphEdit) AND managed to regsiter the RealMediaSplitter file, I thought I'd try rendering the rm file again, but the the idiot GraphEdit still gave me the same old stupid error message.

Last edited:

Mr. Muddle

Hi CD.

The problem is with ANY and ALL Real files. It doesn't matter whether they're 12 seconds or 1 hour long, or where they are obtained from. I just searched the web to find a .rm file I could test and found this one

http://www.eisen.co.uk/ella/longmew.rm

It is only 9 seconds of a cat meowing and I still get the same error message. I don't get any error messages for mp3 files.

Thanks.

Renders just fine for me. Also decoded fine with mplayer, both were so quick that I couldn't really give a time. Under 1sec anyway.

Attachments

No mplayer as in mplayer the linux media player, mplayer. Talking about a windows build in my case. Should work fine under linux to.

As to how, I covered that in a previous post. "mplayer.exe -ao pcm input.rm -aofile output.wav"

However if you have the realmedia splitter installed as well as real player then there is no reason why you couldn't render the file same as I did. Then with wav dest installed there is no reason why you could not create the second graph.

Mr. Muddle

Is this the latest one?

ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/mplayer-cvs-2003-03-24.zip

Also, do I need to download anything else from here?

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design4/projects.html

"However if you have the realmedia splitter installed as well as real player then there is no reason why you couldn't render the file same as I did. Then with wav dest installed there is no reason why you could not create the second graph."

There must be SOME reason why it won't work because I've managed to carry out all the above.

Maybe it's something to do with the following part in the error message-

"Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. (Return code: 0x80040265)"

But don't ask me what this means!
The following already appear in the filter list (in the DirectShow Filter section)-

RealAudio Decoder
RealMedia Source
RealMedia Splitter
RealPlayer Audio Filter
RealVideo Decoder

What do they mean 'The format is not supported' ????!!!! What else could I possible need?!

Mr. Muddle

I've downloaded the version you mentioned and also the GUI for it.

What do I do now? The GUI just has button without any text to know what the buttons are for! It's also crashing every few seconds.

Before I downloaded the GUI, I clicked on the mplayer icon and a black screen flashed on the screen for about 1 second and disappeared.

What do you mean by having 'real media enabled'?

I mean enabling it at compile (it is set to autodetect) with either --with-codecsdir=DIR or --with-reallibdir=DIR.

Don't recall mentioning or suggesting a GUI.

I clicked on the mplayer icon and a black screen flashed on the screen for about 1 second and disappeared.
This is what happens when you try and run a commandline app by double clicking. You need to run it from the commandline with the commandline that I already gave you (twice).

mplayer.exe -ao pcm input.ra -aofile output.wav

where input.ra is the input ra file including path unless in the same directory as mplayer and in "" if the patch contains spaces. Same goes for mplayer.exe and the output file. If no output file is specified then it will be automatically saved as audiodump.wav.

For instance if you were to save "p:\ath\to\ mplayer\mplayer.exe" -ao pcm %1
as a bat file and drop a ra file onto it it should decode it to audiodump.wav.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks....BUT....

as I've also said a hundred times, you need to give me the instructions step by step. I don't understand things like "You need to run it from the commandline", etc.

Can't you just put it like this-

1. Go to Windows Explorer

2. Click on the MPlayer folder

3. etc, etc.

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but anytime you suggest anything, I always have to reply to ask you "and how do I do that".

Are ordinary folk like me really supposed to understand the following?!

"Basically just render the file, delete the sound renderer and replace it with a wav dest and filewriter filter"

"Then again mplayer whatever.rm -ao pcm it then outputs it to audiodump.wav or use -aofile to specify a filename also -vo null if you want the audio from an av file"

"I mean enabling it at compile (it is set to autodetect) with either --with-codecsdir=DIR or --with-reallibdir=DIR"

"For instance if you were to save "p:\ath\to\ mplayer\mplayer.exe" -ao pcm %1
as a bat file and drop a ra file onto it it should decode it to audiodump.wav"

I would have hoped some of it.

You can forget windows explorer. You run commandline apps from the command prompt that is assuming win2k or XP. Not sure what it is called in other versions of windows.

So, step 1 open a command prompt.
2. Use the commandline that I posted.
3. If all goes well enjoy your decoded ra file.

Small tip. You can drag files onto the command prompt. So instead of typing the path to mplayer.exe you can just drag it which would give you something like "C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe". You can then manually type in " -ao pcm " and then drop the ra file which would give you "C:\mplayer\mplayer.exe" -ao pcm "c:\stuff\audio.ra". Then if you wish you could add the -aofile output.wav.

I guess you did not grow up using DOS?

About the --with-codecsdir stuff. You did ask and the Then again mplayer whatever.rm -ao pcm it then outputs... stuff I was basically thinking out aloud. It only occured to me that using mplayer would work after I started typing that post.

Also to extract just the audio from an AV file I should point out that you also need -vc dummy if you want to do it faster than realtime.

Personally I like commandline apps, but it seems that I am a minority.

Mr. Muddle

Well I tried the steps but this is the error message I got (for the longmew.rm file).

"MMSYSTEM 296 The file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The file may be corrupt, or not in the correct format."

I tried it again using the drag and drop method but got the following-

opening win32 dll 'sipr.so.6.0'
Error loading dll
ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec sipr.so.6.0.
Read the RealAudio section of the DOCS!
ADecoder preinit failed
ADecoder init failed
Opening audio decoder: [realaud] RealAudio decoder
opening win32 dll 'sipr3260.dll'
Error loading dll
ERROR: Could not open required DirectShow codec sipr3260.dll.
Read the RealAudio section of the DOCS!
ADecoder preinit failed
ADecoder init failed
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x72706973.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
========================================================================
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

C:\>C:\>mplayer.exe -ao pcm C:\CD TEST\longmew.rm -aofile output.wav

Mr. Muddle

Thanks.

What about the vc dummy thing? I forgot all about that. What do I do for this?

(Remember, STEPS!)

Which one is the "windows DLL package"?

"Unpacking it into a codecs subdir should do the trick"

STEPS STEPS STEPS!!

Where do I find the codecs directory in which to create a sub-directory?

Thanks.

vc dummy stuff is only if you want to decode the audio from a AV file as in audio/video. For pure audio streams it is not needed.

The ones marked win32. Remember you are looking for sipr3260.dll.

I mean a codecs directory as a subdir to where mplayer.exe is. Could also just dump them all with mplayer.

Mr. Muddle

I downloaded the following

RealPlayer9 Win32 codecs (including RV40)

and

Latest Win32 codecpack

but got the same error message.

The downloads only contained one file each-

rp9win32codecs.tar.bz2

and

win32codecs.tar.bz2

Isn't it supposed to be a 'pack'of codecs??!!

By the way, my version of RealPlayer is version 6. I need the following two codecs-

RealAudio Sipro (sipr.so.6.0)

and

Win32 RealAudio Sipro (sipr3260.dll)

Do they have to be for RealPlayer ver 6 or will the ones for ver 8/9 work?

Also, the 'codecs' folder that came with the mplayer download has always been empty. Isn't there supposed to be some codecs in it?

Last edited: