Nero 6.0 Ultra..is it worth it?

I`ve recently purchased Nero 6.0 Ultra,but it hasn`t arrived yet.I decided to buy it blindly on the strength that the 5 series has served me so well for some time.Judging by some of the posts,I`m starting to think again..What do you really think? Have I wasted my money?

It depends, if U use it & it works ok then no, if U have probs & chances are U will then yep, version 5 was better:)

BaNzI:D

Ver 6 still has a few bugs, but it basically seems to work very well for me. I know there are a lot of critics of Nero and V6 in particular, but I really like it. Now if they will just plug a couple of nagging problems.

A guy moved there from ROXIO - and carried the disease of releasing unfinished betas on the public with him!

Unless eligible for a free or discounted upgrade - I wouldn't bother if you want a CD-Burning program - as it really doesnt offer much more (other than new and interesting bugs) than 5.5.10.42

If you want the extras, improvements for video particularly, then it may be worth it.

I've always said, for just burning files to a damn CD, you might as well use what came with the burner.

I've never had a problem with nero 5. But with 6 the two times I tryed to burn an audio cd I got an error message. " Nero.exe performed abnormal function, now shutting down". One disc was at 34% and the other at 86%. I've had no other problems burning video or data discs.

Well,it`s arrived...late.Seems as if they sent it to the wrong address,without even checking the postcode,or phoning me to double check.AND THEY SENT THE WRONG PRODUCT!!! They sent the old Nero 5 (Nice product,but it`s not what I ordered,and I`ve had that for some time-5.5)But it seems you do get a lot of extra goodies in the retail box,judging by the outside of the box.(I haven`t opened the retail box-seems quite heavy).Hoping to return it.I`d keep it, but I don`t want to pay over the odds for old products.I`d be paying again to upgrade.This might sound stupid,but you don`t think they`d be wacky enough to ship V6 software in a V5 box do you? (lol) :)
It was from http://www.softwareparadise.co.uk The price (inc VAT and next working day courier carriage) £61.63-much cheaper than normal retail-but expensive for old software you can also get on OEM:) :)
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
plextorman said:
Well,it`s arrived...late.Seems as if they sent it to the wrong address,without even checking the postcode,or phoning me to double check.AND THEY SENT THE WRONG PRODUCT!!! They sent the old Nero 5 (Nice product,but it`s not what I ordered,and I`ve had that for some time-5.5)But it seems you do get a lot of extra goodies in the retail box,judging by the outside of the box.(I haven`t opened the retail box-seems quite heavy).Hoping to return it.I`d keep it, but I don`t want to pay over the odds for old products.I`d be paying again to upgrade.This might sound stupid,but you don`t think they`d be wacky enough to ship V6 software in a V5 box do you? (lol) :)
It was from http://www.softwareparadise.co.uk The price (inc VAT and next working day courier carriage) £61.63-much cheaper than normal retail-but expensive for old software you can also get on OEM:) :)
What do you guys think?
ON THE RETAIL BOX (Nero 5)
"Now including:"
"Packet Writing Sotware for CD-RW!"
"Simultaneous recording support!"
"MP3-support!"
"CD-Database!"
"Nero Media Player!"
"INCLUDING 2 BRAND NEW PRODUCTS!"
"nero vision express video authoring"
"nero express-the fastest way to record CD/DVD`s"
Now I know that there`s some stuff in here you get with 5.5 anyway,and some stuff you don`t-e.g. Packet Writing (can this be InCD?,a stand alone product?),MP3-support ? Should I keep it? Not without a partial refund,methinks...Reliable?-yes...Worth £61.63? No way! What do you guys think?

Last edited:
plextorman said:
ON THE RETAIL BOX (Nero 5)
"Now including:"
"Packet Writing Sotware for CD-RW!"
"Simultaneous recording support!"
"MP3-support!"
"CD-Database!"
"Nero Media Player!"
"INCLUDING 2 BRAND NEW PRODUCTS!"
"nero vision express video authoring"
"nero express-the fastest way to record CD/DVD`s"
Now I know that there`s some stuff in here you get with 5.5 anyway,and some stuff you don`t-e.g. Packet Writing (can this be InCD?,a stand alone product?),MP3-support ? Should I keep it? Not without a partial refund,methinks...Reliable?-yes...Worth £61.63? No way! What do you guys think?
Just emailed `em over the mistake.Must be 5.5 I`ve received by mistake-and it`s only £5.87 cheaper (!)6 Ultra is also in stock..:(

plextorman said:
Just emailed `em over the mistake.Must be 5.5 I`ve received by mistake-and it`s only £5.87 cheaper (!)6 Ultra is also in stock..:(
Nero 5.5 goes now for 5 euros at the Karlsruhe flea market!

@plextorman if you've paid you korn (money)for one product and you get something different to which you have ordered, hold you ground and ask for what you have ordered...
Yes nero 5.5 you can pick up for a few bucks at fairs(computer)..i

plextorman said:
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL :) :)
No,but seriously-Just been to the Ahead site-it says that any 5.x BOXED version purchased after 1st May 2003 (NOT OEM as supplied with machines,burners etc.) are entitled to a FREE upgrade to Nero 6 Ultra!
Special registration is required at http://upgrade.nero6.com/en/index.php
Hmmm...interesting...words like `best of both worlds` spring to mind....
I`d rather have had the product I paid for though....

PRICE CHECK(Retail Package) Nero 6 Ultra
Nero Site Price=69.99 euros+9.00 euros (postage and despatch) =78.99 euros=*£55.48 GBP* (assuming there is no more tax to pay..)
Software Paradise=£44.95GBP +£7.50GBP (postage and despatch)+Value Added Tax @17.5% £9.18=*£61.63 GBP!*
Hmmm...maybe I should`ve just gone to the source-Ahead..I might even have got the correct product! :(

RASTABT said:
@plextorman if you've paid you korn (money)for one product and you get something different to which you have ordered, hold you ground and ask for what you have ordered...
Thanx RASTABT-I think I will.I might demand a refund and buy direct from Ahead,as you can see from my last post-the makers are even cheaper...

Cheaper at "Special Reserve" - and if you'd got the timing right, PC WORLD were knocking out 5.5 at £19.99 - one time in an advert voucher offer, later as a general one.

I DID, and upgraded - but I'm still waiting for a 6.0.x.x that I'd consider uninstalling a VERY stable 5.5.10.42 for - I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered!

PS. If you want to deal with Special Reserve, I'd suggest going to your nearest one, and looking at joining for a year (£7.50) - which gives you a discount, but only if you can also find one of the joining gifts that you want, and is probably worth the fee in itself!

Need an Office Suite? - If you're a Smartsuite junkie like me, Smartsuite Millenium is usually on as a joining gift, Or fancy boyz toyz - radio controlled desktop racer. There's usually a good selection of PC, Console or other items!

Last edited:
LTR12101B said:
Cheaper at "Special Reserve" - and if you'd got the timing right, PC WORLD were knocking out 5.5 at £19.99 - one time in an advert voucher offer, later as a general one.

I DID, and upgraded - but I'm still waiting for a 6.0.x.x that I'd consider uninstalling a VERY stable 5.5.10.42 for - I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered!

PS. If you want to deal with Special Reserve, I'd suggest going to your nearest one, and looking at joining for a year (£7.50) - which gives you a discount, but only if you can also find one of the joining gifts that you want, and is probably worth the fee in itself!

Need an Office Suite? - If you're a Smartsuite junkie like me, Smartsuite Millenium is usually on as a joining gift, Or fancy boyz toyz - radio controlled desktop racer. There's usually a good selection of PC, Console or other items!
@LTR12101B Thanks for that..I`ve bought from Special Reserve before,but I`ve never joined.I just might join this time..Thanks again...

RASTABT said:
Just got mail back from Software Paradise:
"Please return the Nero 5.5 to us and we`ll refund your postage costs and send you a replacement 6.0 when the next stock arrives.
Cheers and so sorry about the incorrect item being delivered"
Seems fair enough to me but it would have been better to have got it right first time..:( What do you think?

Last edited:
OMG! - PC World have Nero 6 at £39.99 (online - not sure if the store price is the same)

That beats Special Reserve's £47.99

Software Warehouse has theirs as "Ultra" - not sure if that makes a difference. are all retail boxed versions "Ultra", or is that an extra?