Many PS2 backups, screen is flickering on 2 games... ?

fullboostorbust

I have backed up a bunch of my PS2 games and all of them work perfectly everytime, but 2 of them i have run into this instance. when backing up my Gungrave and Colin mcrae 2004 i had a flawless read and write process. but they both do the same thing after initial boot. the screen starts to shutter and flip like a slow film strip. cant see the game at all really. but i can hear it fine. Is this some kind of copy block from the manufactuer?

Gungrave is = Saga
Colin Mcrae 04 = Codemasters.

Anyone ever have this problem? what is the fix if so?

Last edited:

ps2king

does it give you the flickering game screen or a different screen with numbers like 50Mhz,60Mhz...?

fullboostorbust

ps2king said:
does it give you the flickering game screen or a different screen with numbers like 50Mhz,60Mhz...?

As soon as the game boots the screen starts to jump quickly. i can see the game as it jumps quickly. It does it non stop through the intro and the options screen and even when i start the game. It kinda looks like a strobing flipping of the screen. (no numbers "50Mhz,60Mhz" or anything that i can see.)

I tried Gungrave with alcohal and dycrypter and some others, and it did the same thing on all the backups. I thought maybe there was a copy block and then i tried my colin mcrae rally 04 and it did the same thing. Is this something new?

Thanks

ps2king

There could be 3 problems.

1. Your backup may be faulty or the selection of media.
2. It could be that your modchip isn't soldered in properly.
3. If it's only DVD games then it may be your laser. I think it may need adjusting.

@ps2king these could still be 60hz games trying hard to run on a 50hz tv set !?

if you tv is a new one try connecting your playstation via a SCART Connecter/PERITAL connection :)

this should force your tvs display mode to either PAL /NTSC 50hz pal or 60hz NTSC :)

fullboostorbust

Thanks, First i am using the slide card and swap magic disks. Second my TV is a sharp, about 3 years old. I donno any of this mhz you talk about. I use TDK media like the rest of my burns.

keep this in mind. I have backed up many games with no problems. This flickering only has happend on these 2 games. I have tried backing up these 2 games like 2-3 times each and every back up does the same thing. This is even after re-reading the disks over! hmmmmmmmmmmm..??

ok heres an explanation of PAL/NTSC

PAL - PAL (Phase Alternating Line) is a video standard used in many countries around the world. Countries such as the United Kingdom, The Netherlands and more use PAL as their video standard. When a GAME,VHS, DVD or laserdisc is released using the PAL format it can have a maximum resolution up to 625 lines with a vertical frequency of 50Hz. There are different types of PAL standards, one of which uses a vertical frequency of 60Hz instead of 50Hz.

NTSC - NTSC (National Television Ssystem Committee) is another video standard used in many countries around the world. While it's not technically superior, it's more widely used thanks to its use in the United States and a variety of other countries, such as Japan. When a GAME,VHS, DVD or laserdisc is released using the NTSC format it can have a maximum resolution up to 525 lines with a vertical frequency of 60hz.
some games run in either PAL or NTSC so depending on if your tv is switchable between the two modes using a scart/perital lead will determine this as it forces either mode via the AV line in the wiring :)

only way real to test with the playstation games is to use a SCART/PERITAL connector instead of the common R/F ARIAL lead that comes with most playstations as standard)

fortunate though that PLAYSTATION 1 or the original PLAYSTATION Cables that have SCART CONNECTORS that are MUCH cheaper than the PS2 versions and will still work fine with the PS2 :)

mine does ..i kept mine from my original playstation :)

You also get much higher quality graphics and sound using a scart/perital connector to the tv :)

Also it enables the use of any SURROUND sound system you may have attached to your tv system wherever a game says its in surround sound audio :)

see if you can borrow one or buy one to test and see if this stops the rolling/flickering :)

this is what you are looking for ...

fullboostorbust

VIPER_1069 said:
ok heres an explanation of PAL/NTSC

some games run in either PAL or NTSC so depending on if your tv is switchable between the two modes using a scart/perital lead will determine this as it forces either mode via the AV line in the wiring :)

only way real to test with the playstation games is to use a SCART/PERITAL connector instead of the common R/F ARIAL lead that comes with most playstations as standard)

fortunate though that PLAYSTATION 1 or the original PLAYSTATION Cables that have SCART CONNECTORS that are MUCH cheaper than the PS2 versions and will still work fine with the PS2 :)

mine does ..i kept mine from my original playstation :)

You also get much higher quality graphics and sound using a scart/perital connector to the tv :)

Also it enables the use of any SURROUND sound system you may have attached to your tv system wherever a game says its in surround sound audio :)

see if you can borrow one or buy one to test and see if this stops the rolling/flickering :)

this is what you are looking for ...

o.k. i got the jist of it. Thanks for your detailed reply but i am missing out on one thing. I still have my old PS1 chilling in my entertainment unit. I tried using the old plug with my PS2 hopping for the best. still flipping screen. Do i need more then just an old standered PS1 cable? do i need a special cable? where can i find this cable? Thanks for your help as allways~! :)

this could be a case of that you may have a NON STANDARD ps2 scart connector it may be composite only check the pins in the plug end that fits into the TV it should have 21 PINS in it if it hase not got 21pins and some missing then it does not have the AV force cable connected :(

if your cable looks like this

with one of these connectors attached

then this is NOT a proper fully wired PSX/PS2 scart connector and it WILL NOT force the AV video :(

fullboostorbust

Viper,

Hm, i live in the USA, my connectors look just like the top pic, a small black plug that go's in the PSX and 3 RCA plugs. I deffenatly dont have that huge 21 pin connector. My PS1 doesnt have that connector either on its plug, that too also has RCA connectors. Do you know where i can find one of these cables and adapters for sale?

Thanks!! :)

dareino

I too am having this exact problem :( ...I was pointed to a program that can convert ntsc to pal .I tried it but that did not work....I did find another prog I will try,,NTSCONV that converts both ways...I thought the DMS3 chip
I have installed took care of all this :confused:
dareino

fullboostorbust

K i found this software "NTSCONV" only problem is my 2 back up files are in .NRG format, but this NTSCONV program only converts .Bin and .ISO. Is there a way i can convert these .NRG files to .bin or .iso so that i can convert my import backup files? Thanks guys.

Regards.

@fullboostorbust & dareino

try googling these words "fully wired ps2 scart cable" with no quotes ..and look for a store/retailer near you :)

just make sure the information says its FULLY wired :)

then you will have the right cable with the av force connected :)

fullboostorbust

VIPER_1069 said:
@fullboostorbust & dareino

try googling these words "fully wired ps2 scart cable" with no quotes ..and look for a store/retailer near you :)

just make sure the information says its FULLY wired :)

then you will have the right cable with the av force connected :)

But sir, Where does that huge connector go? I am from the USA, our TVs only have coax and RCA connectors. So would i only use the small side that plugs into the PS2 and the RCA box? I dont know what to do with that huge connector.

Attachments

fullboostorbust

Can some one please sum this one up for me?? I would just like to know if this cable techniqe can be used on an american tv while trying to play my imports and import backups.

Again, do i just discard the big 21 pin connector and just use the RCA and ps2 connector for my american TV?

fullboostorbust

ps2king said:
Try getting an S-video cable. It'll improve the quality of ur game and it may solve your problem

PS2 king, thanks i will give that a shot just for the hell of it. I got my GunGrave to work by using NTSCONV, it killed the Pal hex and put in NTSC, burned it and it worked!! :)

BUuut, my colin mcrae 04 doesnt seem to want to load up in NTSCONV. when i browse, load it in the window then click Pal OR NTSC, then click "convert" the command prompt screen just flickers on for like a mili second and nothing happends. Strange, the game is in the same image file format as gungrave is (.iso).

fullboostorbust said:
K i found this software "NTSCONV" only problem is my 2 back up files are in .NRG format, but this NTSCONV program only converts .Bin and .ISO. Is there a way i can convert these .NRG files to .bin or .iso so that i can convert my import backup files? Thanks guys.

Regards.
I am not sure if there is a program to do that, but look for one at
they have a ton of programs for burning PS2, PSX, XBOX, Dreamcast, Etc.

Last edited: