Mandrake 10.0 CE

Isn"t it the final 10.0 edition? Running for 2-3 days on my dual-boot PC and i got a lot of issues, specially with kernel 2.6.x and nvidia drivers.
Guess that the Community Edition is not the final product, they just uploaded it to the servers for testing purposes... :(
May i try other distros? Fedora?

It is a final, and luckily enough works well here (260 MB of bugfixing patches already downloaded and installed!). Of course I do NOT use the Nvidia rubbish, but rather the xfree 4.3 NV ones, which simply work great.
There will be another, more stable 10.0 release, labelled as "Official" somewhere around May- you should consider the Community releases as a Cooker successor.
If you want stability instead, try Slackware 9.1, which is surely enough the cleanest distro out there, as well as the most difficult to install.

Personally, I toy a lot with software and so I can only use either Mandrake/urpmi or Debian/apt-get, else I would have to check for dependencies most of my time! :D

Finally, if kernel 2.6.X doesn't work well then you will find a copy of kernel 2.4.25 on CD2.

Last edited:
aaarrrggghhhhh bye suse !!. I,m a home user, ( movies, chat, msn, cdr, etc, mp3 ) what about fedora?, or other??
Tnx.
J.

Fedora needs work yet- MP3 stuff you must do-it-all-yourself, their automated Yum installer system doesn't work well, patented software does not exist at all, etc etc etc...
For the moment and for home workstation usage you can hardly find something better than Mandrake 9.2, or wait for version 10.0 being somewhat fixed. It even has software repositories for patented/licenced software which you can grab and install automatically via the graphical URPMI installer without any effort or dependencies problems...
SuSE is not bad, but it is definitely NOT free software, so not my piece of cake...
When I said that 10.0 works I didn't mention that ALSA (now part of the 2.6.X kernel) sounds like s&%t, SCSI emulation is broken (it's not a Mandrake, but a kernel bug- already fixed on 2.6.4), VMware doesn't work (you need a copy of the 2.4.X kernel and switching/rebooting before using it) and several other annoyances...
But I have seen worse, whatever buggy 10.0 is it includes a lot of great features and even a braindead could install it and use it (...when it does install and does work, that is...) :p
Another good idea is getting Knoppix and after getting familiar with it (LiveCD= no fuss, no pain etc...) installing it to harddisk and having a Debian ready to go. Knoppix 3.4 should be available within the next 5-6 days, and has an impressive set of features.

Last edited:
Valmont said:
yes, but i don`t know how install knoppix.
I did not know either, but it is rather easy. I even found the instructions in spanish...
ed2k://|file|instalacion del KNOPPIX en el disco duro HOWTO.txt|7533|341D552B9CAF9423B2800A57942F3AE5|/
Just put it on a cue and wait, it has few sources.
If english is OK too, this might be a bit more complete.

Last edited:
Another good idea is getting Knoppix and after getting familiar with it (LiveCD= no fuss, no pain etc...) installing it to harddisk and having a Debian ready to go. Knoppix 3.4 should be available within the next 5-6 days, and has an impressive set of features.
I"ll give it a try asap, btw, i got PClinuxOS on my harddisk and it works fine so far.
I got a strange experience with MD 10ce, i lost /dev/dsp when i tried to configure my TVcard from MCC. Now i have sound with media players and no sound in KDE(system notifications) :confused:

Check your system services under MCC, and see if the ALSA server is up and running.
If it's not, then via MCC go to hardware configuration and check/modify the driver used by your DSP. There should be there one driver for ALSA and one for ESS. Pick the one that works.

scarecrow said:
Check your system services under MCC, and see if the ALSA server is up and running.
If it's not, then via MCC go to hardware configuration and check/modify the driver used by your DSP. There should be there one driver for ALSA and one for ESS. Pick the one that works.
I"ve already checked all these, no cure though... :(
The situation today is getting worse, i rebooted my PC and i lost my network conifuration plus the sound, the error msg for sound is:
ound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
Think i"m gonna get rid of this crap called MD 10CE or is it a pre-alpha :D
Anyway, my /etc/modules.conf is:

probeall scsi_hostadapter imm ppa
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
options bttv radio=1 gbuffers=4
alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
Any help is highly appreciated.... :confused:

4 ur sound,set it as /dev/sound/dsp if u're running a kernel 2.6.x....if u go 2 /dev/ u will find that the devices are now arranged more orderly in folders,e.g ur optical drives will be found in cdroms,if i remember well ;)

Add a line to your modules.conf right after alias eth0 3c59x:
above i810_audio snd-pcm-oss
Reboot and see if you have sound now. And yes, with 2.6.X kernel the entry should be /dev/sound/dsp
As for the eth0 problem, the stupid thing reports that initialization failed during startup, but after logging in eth0 is connected to the net(!).
Their new networking wizard is not terribly clever, setup your connection via root console and "adsl-setup" (rp-pppoe module should be installed) or via the webmin networking module, which works just fine.

set it as /dev/sound/dsp if u're running a kernel 2.6.x.
Yes, MD10 is based on kernel 2.6.x, what do u mean set it as....?
I made 2 symlinks:
su
cd /dev
ln -s sound/dsp dsp
ln -s sound/mixer mixer
..but still got the same silly error :)

Add a line to your modules.conf right after alias eth0 3c59x:
I"ll try it as soon as i go back home tonight.
Thanks!

here u r villa21 4 ur sound:
control center->sound system->sound I/O ->use custom sound device
->/dev/sound/dsp
if xmms,preferences->output plugin->devices
->use alternate device =/dev/sound/dsp(audio device);
->use alternate device =/dev/sound/dsp(mixer device);

@ serjer: Something is wrong with the current ALSA driver of MDK 10- for me it works, but the CPU usage is ridiculous, and that on a P IV 2.8/800 machine with one gig of RAM... Switching to OSS everything goes just fine.

Last edited:
ok....i got bored with my kernel 2.6.1 on RH 9 & stopped messing with it since i have less time messing around..is it becoz of a particular snd card or same symptoms with the diff snd cards on the diff pcs u have?

serjer said:
ok....i got bored with my kernel 2.6.1 on RH 9 & stopped messing with it since i have less time messing around..is it becoz of a particular snd card or same symptoms with the diff snd cards on the diff pcs u have?
No... it only happens with onboard soundcards, PCI ones work fine.