how to stop a CD burner

sometimes, just some few times, I can't figure out why, with CD burning programs, RecordNow Max, CDArchitect, NERO 5.5.10.56, while burning music CDs, the burner will not stop after a burn, it will keep running forever with the burning LED flashing!! It won't stop even if I cancel the burn and stop the burning application. I have to restart my system in order to stop the damm burner!!

and... afterwards the CD's play fine anyway

Anyone knows what's happening ? Is there a solution ?

Is there some command line or something that I can use to force the freaking burning drive to stop? :confused:

Last edited:
A BIG HAMMER!!!:D Do you ever delete your temp files and if its XP you have to go looking for them? Also do you have the newest up dates for your programs? Newest firmware for your burner? And last but not lest do you run scan disc and defrag once in a while?:confused: Other than that give us some more info and maybe we can figure it out. Some burners just have problems with some chipsets and we need more info to know if thats your problem.

yes mr pc-man, I do all my homeworks, I'm with win2K, an LG GCC-4320B burner, ASUS A7V-M mainboard (AMD processor)

so, is there a command line to force the burner drive to stop burning while we get this straight?

ponzan said:
the burner will not stop after a burn, it will keep running forever with the burning LED flashing!! It won't stop even if I cancel the burn and stop the burning application. I have to restart my system in order to stop the damm burner!! and... afterwards the CD's play fine anyway
i had the same symptoms when burning data CDs in DAO/96 mode by using my old RICOH drive; with DAO in non-RAW mode it worked flawlessly;
now with my Yamaha F1 it never occurs;

Greetings from
Duracell

PC-GUY said:
Can you post your log file from Nero with out your serial? :)
done

What I see happening is that the burn is done OK, but after the leadout is finished the burner doesn't receive the order to stop, and the CPU gets stuck at 100%. Then if I kill CDArchitect, the CPU is liberated but the burner keeps spinning, burning LED flashing and the CD tray locked, so I have toEdited reason:- yes they can be fustrating 'computers' but theres no need to be obscene about it ponzan regardless of you editing thanks! >>>VIPER_1069 <<<<

restart the putter :eek: :( :confused:

Last edited:
Well I asked for for some info and you gave like have of it so I thought instead of asking for it again I may see what I need in the log file. :)

As PC-GUY requested PONZAN please provide as MUCH information as you can gather the LOG file that NERO kicks out is full of useful information to help determine your problem :)

my guess here would be that its CDArchitect thats perhaps causing the problems here ?!

maby as a test uninstall both CDArchitect and NERO then just reinstall NERO and try again see if that works ?!

If it does then reinstall CDArchitect if it does the same thing then you have figured the problem out!?

Also as said many times on this forum make sure you are using the force aspi to add the aspi drivers and make sure that you have disabled the native cd burning if you are using windows xp :)

just remember if you can provide logfiles then do so even if they look fine to you ...our technical experts here may spot something you overlooked :)

I've read here and elsewhere where people have these problems, but it never happens to my LiteOn 52x burner or Pioneer dvd burner (105 or 107). I use same Nero 5.5.10.56, RN Dx 4.61 and DiscJuggler 4.1 for 99.9% of all my burning. If a CD gets "stuck", I find pressing the drives button in DiscJuggler tends to unlock them many times.

Same problem at my side!!! Plextor 161040 & Nero (any version, I always update guickly :D) but only when overburning!!! (audio CD, data CD too)

And, I have this problem only on WinXP Pro SP1, not on WinMe :confused:

Burner's firmware is up to date (v1.05).

OOPS, forgot to add, also happens when burning 800MB CDs (90 mins)!!!

Last edited:
I had it a long time ago....@ my end,it was caused by unsupported (crappy?) Lead Data media that was burned @ a higher speed than recommended by the label.... :D

OK guys, thanks you all for being here, and sorry about the profanity mr viper :eek: :rolleyes:

here I enclose my last NERO work log (I suppose that’s what pc-guy asks for), with all kind of info about my system, as you will see I do have recommended ASPI 4.60 as I follow most of the currents recommendations that I've learn in the couple of years I been around this forum

I'm using 80 min CDRs, no overburning, at 16X (while the burner max is 32X and CDR 48X) while having this problem

and again, I'd love to clear out this issue, but is there some type of command line, script or something that you can use in this kind of situations to force the burner to stop ?? I guess it should be something

Attachments

Last edited:
Seems like a Nero buffering issue. Try increasing the application buffer level to 40% of your physical RAM- that is to 205 MB.

scarecrow said:
Seems like a Nero buffering issue. Try increasing the application buffer level to 40% of your physical RAM- that is to 205 MB.
I had it in auto as NERO recommends, an that was 71 MB in my case, they also recommend, right there, not going over 80MB

but i'll try that if you say so

Last edited:
While burning with CDArchitect (and before with RNM) what was your burning mode? DAO, Raw-Data, with or without CD-Text?
Does it happens when burning in plain DAO without CD-Text? Does it happens while simulating too?

You have 512M of physical RAM, and the default recommendation is using 40% of it (~205MB) as default buffer value for your burning apps. Of course you can toy with this value.

Duracell said:
While burning with CDArchitect (and before with RNM) what was your burning mode? DAO, Raw-Data, with or without CD-Text?
Does it happens when burning in plain DAO without CD-Text? Does it happens while simulating too?
I ussually burn in plain DAO without CD-Text, haven't try simulating

NOTE: I had to edit my previous posts on this tread, because yesterday sadly I had the same problem with NERO (before I was reporting this situation just with CDArch and RNM). Maybe is something with RNM previous install, cause in the NERO log I saw PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.02.62a, size=20016 bytes, created 11/11/2003 21:31:13 (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K). I'll try deleting that. So everyone that insisted on checking NERO too were right :eek:

as you see I haven't got a solution yet, so pleeease keep trying to help me here :)

Last edited:
ponzan said:
sadly I had the same problem with NERO
Can you attach a Nero log file from such a failed burn please? you can try simulating so you don't waste media;

Maybe is something with RNM previous install, cause in the NERO log I saw PXHELP20.SYS I'll try deleting that.
first look for something like "PX Engine Update" in Add/Remove Software and uninstall it as usual;

second way is:
- setting the reg entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PXHelp] Start = 0 to Start = 4
- reboot
- delete the file PXHELP20.SYS also delete the whole [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\PXHelp] key
- reboot
- download and apply these tools: http://www.nero.com/nero6/eng/Driver_CleanTool_and_RegistryChecker.html
- reboot

tnx duracell working on your suggestions right now (I was just wondering how to do this, cause it doesn't appear on the Add/Remove Software list) :)

sadly I don't find the log of the failed job, maybe cause it failed to log when I had to kill NERO with the task manager in order to stop it

Last edited:
Duracell said:
Can you attach a Nero log file from such a failed burn please? you can try simulating so you don't waste media;
or dig out that old and dusty CDRW or DVDRW :)

ponzan said:
So everyone that insisted on checking NERO too were right
most of us here use NERO despite its problems so we are ALL WELL AWARE of how useful the logfiles can be when a problem arises :)

note if you have to KILL NERO to stop it then try a different build of NERO a slightly earlier build or a slightly later build see if the same problem crops up ?! :)