Votes: 8 23.5%
  • 5 hours

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • 24 hours

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • TOO F#@KING LONG

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
I use Cinemacraft encoder as a plugin for Flask to encode into DVD format. I use Tmpeg to make VCD. My specs are as follows: (I have made a few changes since the last time I post this)

Dual (2) Athlon 2000MP
Tyan S2462UNG MB
2.5GB PC2100 DDR
1- 36GB Ultra160 10,000RPM SCSI HDD w/8mb cache (OS/Prog)
4- 120GB UltraATA100 7200RPM IDE HDD w/8mb cache (storage)

Realtime encoding for DVD.
VCD in 1 hour.

Just curious to see how that compares with other people.

depends on how long the movie is.
Once in TMPGEnc it takes me about 3:30 hours or so (for 2 Hour movie)*or so I think, sorry lol, been about a month since I last made a VCD I think.
System specs:
Athlon XP 1800+
Epox 8KHA+ Via KT266A+VT8233
512MB PC2100 DDR (M.Tec/Twinmos) RAM
1 Maxtor 40G D740X 7200rpm HDD
1 Maxtor 20G D540X 7200rpm HDD
Windows XP Pro Corp OS

Cool. I'm glad to see that somebody replied. I was curious because TMPEG is the only prog that I know of that has SMP settings. The other progs I use are fast but I wasn't sure if that was because of the proccessors.

Shadoe: I encoded Schindler's List, ripped from the dvd and encoded into DVD format, for a friend in about 4 hours using CinemaCraft. Length of movie does make a difference, I think that f you have a long movie that CBR 6000kb instead of 3pass VBR makes good quality in 1/2 the time.

Dave: What are Chickenman's SPECS?

nunyabiznes01 said:

Dave: What are Chickenman's SPECS?
Check in the Movies Tutorial section for my DVD to VCD tutorial, its all there.

Time to encode not only depends on the length of the movie and CPU speed but also the settings you use in TMPGEnc Encoding. Set Motion Search to Normal and you can do one in 1/3 the time set at Highest Quality (Very Slow). NTSC film encodes quicker than PAL as well. Turn on Deinterlase and slows down by 20%, etc, etc.

Many variables determine actual encoding time, not just Movie length and CPU speed.

...hardware makes a hell of a difference.

Simply double the CPU speed and you halve the processing time, just simple arithmatic really.

I think I'm going to buy a hardware encoder. Can't get any faster than that. Not sure if you can use all file formats with that, though.

er does 11+ hrs count as a world record as the longest time !?!?! lol using an impressive half a gig processor here (amdk6/2 500 lol !! :( ) and 256 meg of ram and er well nevermind lol !!

do your research on hardware encoders little devil. There are many different types & I hear many are just crap! More of a theory, like the hollywood plus cards for DVD playback. There is barely any difference with one of them & just using a software to playback your DVDs on the PC.

Shadoe: I hear you. I was referring to the kind of encoder that is in a 1U rack chassis not the PCI card. Most of the card encoders are just about what you said. The rack mount kind is used by DVD/CD duplicating companies. Top of the line. That's what I want.

S

satans_priest

with cce ( and dvd2svcd ) i need for 2hour movie , about 2.5 hours with a P4@1.5GHz and 512meg RD-Ram ; divx or xvid its about the same time ... ( 1 pass ) - 2pass about 3.5 hours

nunyabiznes01
if you want that, then I suggest you fork out at least $10,000-$50,000 USD for 1. Someone enquired about one of those before & I found a couple of sites before on them, but they only tend to sell to companies (not individuals) & I enquired as a company about their prices. Pretty steep.

@satans_priest, that's funny, cause my athlond is faster than your P4 (infact, faster than a P4 2Ghz), but I haven't tried the cce & dvd2svcd method. But this is a VCD questionaire I think (not svcd, nonetheless, interesting info).
Also as far as I know, it should take you at least 2:30 hours for each pass you make for divx/xvid (on your machine). I have a P4 2.53 Ghz at office & it takes around that (about same time as the Athlon XP 2100+).

$10,000USD? That's it? The one I was looking at was about $22,000USD. I have changed my mind about the purchase. I bought a 1999 Chevrolet K3500 Crew Cab (full size 4 door pick-up) with the 8.1L Vortec and Off-Road package. I think that was a better way to spend my money!

yup, especially when it doesn't take you that much time anyways (compared to most others) for you encoding/copying needs.
Some people don't care too much about the costs, but I feel (even if you can afford it) you gotta shop wisely.
Besides, within 2 years, if not less, PC will probably be fast enough to do everything in real-time, if not faster lol.

PS
the girls will find your crew cab much more appealing than your duplicating machine lol

S

satans_priest

shadoe_phantom said:
nunyabiznes01
if you want that, then I suggest you fork out at least $10,000-$50,000 USD for 1. Someone enquired about one of those before & I found a couple of sites before on them, but they only tend to sell to companies (not individuals) & I enquired as a company about their prices. Pretty steep.

@satans_priest, that's funny, cause my athlond is faster than your P4 (infact, faster than a P4 2Ghz), but I haven't tried the cce & dvd2svcd method. But this is a VCD questionaire I think (not svcd, nonetheless, interesting info).
Also as far as I know, it should take you at least 2:30 hours for each pass you make for divx/xvid (on your machine). I have a P4 2.53 Ghz at office & it takes around that (about same time as the Athlon XP 2100+).
yes that could be true , but i work mostly with xvid ( intel compiler v6 compiled ) and this one rocks in 2pass --- but besides this one pass of 2pass encoding is always shorter in time than the other - it cannot be that 2passes are the same ! but you can trust me , that are the real times :) i am not one of those intel vs amd guys :)

I just converted What Women Want to vcd and it took 20-30 mins for Smartripper, and then once in TMPGEnc it took just mins over 6 hours. I missed the time in dvd2avi per I left but I don't think that it was that long. Apparently going to the Athlon from my puny Duron makes a huge diff. but for now I don't mind the six hours per I do it when I go to bed. The one I hate doing is making svcd's with a dvd2svcd. Great proggie and I love the results but takes about 36 hours for it to finish.

Abit KT7 motherboard
Duron 1ghz o/c to 1100 (front side bus)
WD 30GB 5400 rpm
256mb pc133
Hercules Geforce 2 mx o/c
12x dvd

I know, I know I need to pretty much upgrade everything, but I have been laidoff from the defunk telecommunications industry.