Help Again!!!

Hi all

Me just bought World Wor III Black Gold & Hostile Waters, both original & got in local Game store 4 £10:D

Sweet:p

So me just checkin out what the man himself stone_burner advises or any other help appreciated

Repeat Not Budget Release, But Original

Been wanting 2 get hostile waters 4 a while cause if i rem right Warren Ellis(comic book writer) does the script
:):p
World War 3 me just got 2 try something diff from 1st person shooter's:)

Cheers

BaNzI:D

dx

banzibaby..... I'm sure if you sent stone_burner a PM with this link, I'm sure he would oblige. It's not easy to notice every thread round here ;)

I believe that WW3 B&G is protected with Securom and Hostile Waters with SafeDisc2. But then again I don't have a copy of either to check where as obviously you do.

Both are quite old so I would think the SD2 version would be pre 2.8.xx and the securom would be pre 4.8xx so neither should be hard to backup.

Portmac's site says World War 3 is securom and Hostile Waters is unprotected.

For World War 3 use alcohol with securom settings (old securom not securom new 4.x) or CloneCD with default Game CD profile.

As for Hostile Waters, just use the cd-copy function of nero or whatever.

Ok progress report:)

WWW3 backed up ok:p

Hostile Waters, nero did'nt like it, kept getting unrecoverable read errors, so i scanned it with CloneyXXL & it says it is Safedisc2

Eventually got Alcohol 2 back it up, using the Safdisc proflie, it done the same as nero, but after 20 mins(it kept slowing right down with both, but nero just aborted)Alcohol eventually speeded up & backed it up ok(me hope)

But the Original CD gets 2 35% then all these errors appear, so i take it that is the protection kicking in?

Just thought i would let U know how it went:)

Cheers

i scanned it with CloneyXXL & it says it is Safedisc2
Told ya.

SafeDisc only has read errors for the first couple of percent if you are getting read errors at 35 then they probably have nothing to do with SafeDisc.

If it is taking ages to read then you could always try a fast dump, that way you can read through the errors in seconds.

Surely safedisk 2 read errors appear normally within the first 10,500 sectors or so- and that means the game is NOT safedisk2 and that miserable ClonyXXL goofed once more.
You may try to scan the disk with another program, eg Alcoholer or Scout or dunno what...

Yep the errors start at 35% & continue till about 40-45%

The copy is fast till it hits them, then once it clears them it spins back 2 full speed

The only way i could get a copy was 2 use the safedisc profile & check Skip errors

Checked the CD, cant see any scratches, but then it is almost brand new.Have still 2 test it out, but me think it might not work

But Thanks for the advice folks:)

Appreciated

Have got Alcoholer, but dont think it scan's the Disc's itself, but rather loads the CloneyXXL settings in 2 Alcohol.But im probably wrong:p

Last edited:
Should work if you read and write raw. The prot on your version is obviously home-made and the problem really is just in making an image.

Incidentally, are the errors consecutive (like with Ring Protech or laserlock) or spread out (like with safedisc)?

Just because a game is protected with X does not mean that all CD's are protected.

CD1 sounded like typical SD2.. Which one is the play CD or can you use both?

A little suggestion here BANZI is test all copies on a CDRW :) saves ££'s on cdr's :)

that way u can mess about with all possibilitys of copy settings with the knowledge that u aint wasting any cdr's :)

btw banzi what devices are you using to backup !?

what reader and writer !?

this may be a make or break for a successful duplication :)

you may find if you read in from a different rom drive u may get different results !? (just a thought here!) :)

safedisk 2 does not require a really fancy drive to read the data :) so most bought within the last year or so will be able to at least read the disk :)

thats just a thought if it is safedisk !? it appears to be and not to be !? so try reading from another rom drive and recheck with clony , scout and the other not much known YAPS (yet another protection scanner) and tell us your findings :)

Hi Folks.Sorry 4 the wait:)

1\stone_burner.Yep all the errors seem 2 be consecutive(the message nero gave was Unrecoverable Read Error every second)The settings i chose i nero were CD Copy & in the Write Dialog were Ignore Illegal TOC\On read errors Write Uncorrected.These work with most Non Prot CD's

2\Not sure what U mean celtic_druid as both games are only 1CD.Not yet had a chance 2 test the copies, but will do as soon as i have posted this.One thing i will say is Hostile Waters was scanned by ClonyXXL very fast(ie 2-3secs)where as with others it takes a few mins 2 search 4 read errors.

3\Cheers agian for the CDRW tip VIPER_1069, but me only got 3 of them the now & they all have stuff on them that i keep forgettin 2 put on CDR.Can I use the full capicity of the CD by doin that, i know that packet writing s/w uses more space each time U add 2 it, but if i erase 1 of them, do i get the full 700Mb?

The burner used is a LiteOn 52246S(Damn fine burner)The disc was read in the burner as my CDRom reader is an old 32x that i hardly ever use now,But i did try the disc in it just out of frustration:p & it gave the same errors:(

Will try rescanning the originals with Clony & the other Progs U mention:)

Am off now 2 test the CD's 2 see if the backup works
Will post back the results ASAP:D

Cheers Again