getting vinyl records onto a computer

Can anybody tell me what the set up i need to copy records from vinyl to a computer.Once they are on there i know how to burn them to cd

U need to hook up your stereo to your audio card input with the proper cables, then U need a proggie called LPripper to rip the separate tracks (in real time), then U can encode the wavs to mp3:D

LP to CD

Getting the LP sound from the ampli. into the computer as a wave-file can be made with most burnerprograms or better WaveLab or CoolEditPro or 2000. I use a TerraTec PhonoPreamp getting its driving power from the gameport of the soundcard and then to the line-in of the card. The preamp is directly connected to the turntable. In Cooledit you can then insert cuepoints and split the recorded track into diff. songs. There are a lot of diff. plug-ins available for CoolEdit and you can get them from different sites on the web. Use any of those plugins for cleaning (very important) up your wavefiles before you burn them. This gives in my opinion the best final result to burn but takes me a lot of time. There are some "automatic" cleaning programs like Steinberg Clean 3.0 but I find the final result better when you can control the cleaning to your own taste.

As my contryman said above nicely<but if you dont have preamp,use your existing sound sistem ampl,its better than nothing>>will work fine for usuall tasks>Use sound forge or cool editpro,cose can do dc offset(get it from cdrsoft)>or liao kai.Dont plugit directly from phono to comp(nothing will happen..but wont work cose voltage is low,also think about that could be mm or mc .Mc phono is usually more expencive,more sensitive,but much better sound,Should have switch on amp.Also,regulate input up to 0db>>not over that(got meters on all of tools..eac,feurio,cooledit,wavelab,sf,.........And for last,clean app from steinberg is not the best,but is much faster then other>Globally,quality will depend on how much time wanna spend on editing,later:)

M

Master

Simply connect the line out (tape out) connector of your stereo amplifier to the line in connector of your soundcard. You will find adapters in every good HiFi store.

And now i hear the crowd screaming ..ooohhh NNOO :D:D

A soundblaster 16PNP ISA will be good enough for some testings. Even the creative recorder and wave editor will do it too.

Well well well<if a creative is in the game then i guess is nothing wrong with windows sound recorder>This excelent app got""SMALL"limitation connected with lenght of files,you can workaround this with every good audio editor,or use new hardware appliance called RADIO:D :D

M

Master

Not thewindows sound recorder....the recorder of the creative software package.

btw. i am still using a Thorens TD320 with a Denon DL110 moving coil pick up

I did understand perfectly first time thats why i said if youre going with creative rercorder,you can go with windows sound recorder aswell..creative aint much better imho>>+you got windows recorder installed allready:D :) Just if youre going with regular output and cheap sound cart consider dc thing..its a must for recording process,specially for below average sound cards:)

All right,first things first>>why i dont like creative???Its a bad kind of company,for example,they taking drives from good names company,like plextor,ricox,yamaxa,selling as theirs and advertising it,when people find out that they buing it like crazy,in meantime they switched on another syplyer and selling some bulshit drives,or whats happened to me is??Creative made 128 card as Poko said above,which is good card>>>imho for that money you cant buy better card for shure.I bought top model in that time from creative 512pci which was 2 expensive,and 128 sounded better :mad: ,same case now as Poko said above;128 got better response than platinum>>ok,fr.response is not everything,since 99%people cannot hear more than 18khz>>even that is quite more than average>btw im telecomunication technician,and was working some acoustic project for my company where i work((from 537 people only 18 passed the border of 18,75 khz,and they were all younger than 40 years>>which mean you can use 18 khz filter on lame and get smaller size>>cose i checked with sf5,and my mp3 were up to 22khz>>encoded with lame 3.89<to finish about sound card,poko choice is good,but check first if you need high quylity audio eq.Check the turtle sound cards too>>They are >>GOOD<<really good,and for last,but not least,check technics phono(model below)1200>>standard choice for djs since shoved up long time ago>>>with this one cant go wrong>>100%recomended:)

Attachments

Soundcard

I'm working with an some years old TerraTec EWS64S card. Works pretty well but it is with ISA bus. I have other cards with PCI-bus but is there any reason for me to change. I have also a SoundScape Elite soundcard but that one is ISA too.

I would say go with german(tt is german card>made in germany)you got that allready,and you can alwaus change it..it is old,but who cares(my friend got it with his p2),and still works>>i think:)

M

Master

Use your german sound card with a turntable made in switzerland only :D :D

@zver 18000Hz is a lot for a 40 year old man.. the most 35 years old humans are only able to hear up to 16500...maybe 17000 Hz.

for the fans of old european hifi equipment:

Attachments

To Master

You are totally right and agree with you,but:My opinion is;Always go with 1 step more ahead.Becouse you might doit with bad software>>cut it on 17khz,and find out after is done that is 15 khz instead.Thisway you doit on 18 to 19khz>>and even with not perfect mp3 engine you should get between 16 to 17 Khz,which is as Master said above more than enough.Btw for new people,who dont know,it comes down with age,so if you are 40 or older you can safely go down>>they are good frequenzy filters in> lame>>Razorlame<<and they are pretty accurate.Since you know your stuff,i know that you will not make this mistake with mp3,but for new users who just start to experimenting with i think its a good way to go>>they might go with fra.,which is good encoder in my eyes..only had a problems with highs,and could make a difference.I remember that i did check frequenzy range,but cannot remember hov much it was>>somewhere around 16 to 18 khz i think,and i remember that lame came to 22 khz>>checked with soundforge and cooledit pro and both shoved almost the same.Since i didnt do further experiments with fra. i really dont know how would he act>>possibillites are endlless if we reduce it to 17 khz,he might go to 15 only or who knows what, and only good testing can give accurate results>>since there is not safe way to predict this....And YES,Lame is the way to go,as all people saying

And just to add this too:more then 35% went only to 15khz,which i didnt write above,so i wouldnt further confuse the people,but when we got everything lets put that too>Btw,dont go with this>>for new people<<check it for yourself and see how you feeling the tones.For people who cannot hear more than 14 khz,its totally normal thing,is happening:)

M

Master

@pokopiko nice stones there...but where is the turntable ?? :D :D

27000 DM ??? what`s that...i know that i heard it before....but can´t remember :D

to buy and use something like that you must be a real hifi freak. I hope you are using an e-tube amplifier too ?

@zver ..i am 100% with you.
My very first advise was only for a test equipment cause he didn´t´t know how to solve his problem.

regards

Turntable

@Master
Sure I'm using a Thorens TD 165 Turntable with a Ortofon F15EO
cartridge (danish I think). I order to hear ALL the clicks and cracks I use a pair of old STAX earphones (SRD-7 + 2pairs of SR-/Mark3). Sorry but from Japan.