FlaskMPEG(Not Responding)

Hello,

I tried to convert my DVD TV Series to VCD. I followed the Tutorials - How to convert a DVD to VCD using some Commercial Software & with Sub-Titles. I have no problem converting 1st & 2nd titles but when I choose the 3rd title FlaskMPEG just froze when i ctrl+alt+del it shows FlaskMPEG(Not Responding). I did use CDCheck to check my dvd no error. anyone can help me? :(

have you tried ripping the DVD to your hard drive again? My guess is perhaps the ones stored on your HDD were corrupted or something. Also see if any other program have any similar trouble with the same files, otherwise just wait for some better advice/clues.

Good luck.

Deffinitely rip the DVD to HD again, turn DMA off for your DVD ROM unit to ensure a corrupt free transfer.

I would suggest you use the DVD2AVI/TMPGEnc method anyway as quality of final result is better. But does not handel Subtitles.

*sigh* I tried SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter, Virtual CD, turn DMA off from my dvd-rom... still dont work for that episode everytime once i load it FlaskMPEG just hang there (Not Responding) :( I have converted 47 out of 48 episodes(5 dvds) without any problem. I really like to complete the whole series. I did try using DVDx 1.8a it works but the quality is far too poor then ChickenMan method. ChickenMan is there any other ways "rip" dvd or run DVDx 1.8a with other encoder to give near quality mpeg as your method? btw I do need to have sub-titles cause it's jap animes hehe :) really need your help Thanks :)

Last edited:
hmmmmm, what version of FlaskMPEG are you using & are you using the subtitle fix with it or not? Very strange. Well ofcourse wait for the top nacho ChickenMan to tell you how to fix it, but I'm thinking maybe you can try converting them into DivX first, then use TMPGEnc & convert them into mpg. (but appears to be either something wrong with your flask or those episodes have some error in them). By chance are these original DVDs? or Chinese type pirated Anime?

PS
what anime =)
That's all I'm collecting now (over 1600+ titles). errrrrr never mind, have 50+ DVDs am ripping in the next 2 months. Maybe talk to you after that.

A few further things to look at then. So SmartRipper, etc appears to have ripped the DVD tarck to your HD okay them? Install WinDVD 3.x and run that VOB file in WinDVD. Does it play without any flickers, jumps or distortion? If so then the file should be okay.

What version of FlaskMPEG are you using, ver 0.6 with 1.1 upgrade as I have suggested? Try installing the Subtitle fix if you havent already.

Other alternatives to look at are XMPEG ver 4.x This is a re-write of FlaskMPEG, its faster but a lot more unstable. Might work for you though.

As for DVDx, I have not found any settings that comes near TMPGEnc quality. Best is to actually frame serve to TMPGEnc. It may be all your looking for.

ripped to HD ok, playback also ok
ya using ver 0.6 with 1.1 upgrade as u have suggested :)
hmm..Subtitle fix? where to get it? when to use it? i did'nt come across it in your Tutorials or i missed it somewhere...... :(

Its a file thats come out recently. I have not tested it though others have with success. Get it from the d/l section of w*w.doom9.net

shadoe_phantom. which program u use to convert them into DivX(with sub-titles) first since FlaskMPEG cant load that episode for me?
is there another long way which i convert dvd to mpeg(or DivX) and rip sub-titles from then add them together again? other ways which might work?

Last edited:
yes for myself, I also rip a lot of anime DVDs & I like mine in Japanese with english subtitles (hate dubbed versions unless originally made that way). I use the FlaskMPEG preview 0.6 with the subtitle fix v6.2. (I don't use the 1.1 upgrade)
Works always for me.

PS
just install the fix by dumping the files in the same directory, & overwrite all as needed. Good luck.

PPS
It's a little trickier, but if you're using Flask, try doing it with this tut:
h**p://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/flaskmpeg.htm
also you can try ChickenMan's tutorial on DivX very simply, cause the newer vidomi supports subtitles (but look at their site for help on this first). I've found you have to keep the full size of the movie to do this right but sometimes it can be done with smaller settings.

Last edited:
*sigh*...ok I tried on my other system when i load vts_01_0.ifo and select the episode(haven't select sub-titles yet) FlaskMPEG pop out an error : can't read from input'D:\Video_ts\vts_01_1.vob'
(If reading from a DVD-ROM, make sure the drive is unlocked) I did select Settings and for Key Check set Every VOB File. For File Splitting, set Every VOB File and for Options select Unlock Drive, DeMacrovision and Copy IFO File correctly. then i try load vts_01_1.vob FlaskMPEG hangs(Not Responding). I try load vts_01_2.vob same thing it hangs. last vts_01_3.vob it did load with np.

In my Video_ts folder:
vts_01_0.ifo 140KB IFO File
vts_01_1 0KB VOB
vts_01_2 600,930KB VOB
vts_01_3 177,056KB VOB

I did use windvd to play the vob np and the episode starting in on vts_01_2.vob. i think vts_01_1.vob with 0KB is the cause of the problem if so anyway to solve it or is it the way it should be?

I did try the lastest vidomi 4.29 with sub-titles but somehow the sub-titles didn't turn out as it should :( and the video and audio dont match timing :( ChickenMan can u write a tutorial on vidomi 4.29 with sub-titles? Thanks :)

ok sorry about not being much help. This will be my last question suggestion lol that will hopefully come to work.
Looks like you're doing only part of the DVD at a time.
Have you tried ripping the whole DVD first (all 4-5+ Gigs) & then use flaskMPEG to encode the whole DVD rip? Then use TMPGEnc to cut them into the prefered size/episodes?
Don't know, but maybe it could solve your problem if you're not doing it this way to begin with.
Also when you rip, do you have the VTS_01_0 BUP xx,xxx files set to get ripped?

Last edited:
yes i'm doing only part of the DVD at a time. the whole dvd is 7Gigs+ 10 eposodes inside. when i run SmartRipper, it seems only allow me to choose 1 episode at a time, I don't seem to able to select all at a time and I do'nt have the VTS_01_0 BUP xx,xxx files set to get ripped :( look like i'm missing a big pic here :( shadoe_phantom, how do u rip the whole dvd out with all the episodes? u might be my last hope thanks :)

somehow I don't have the VTS_01_0 BUP xx,xxx files set after ripped only got 4 files

vts_01_0.ifo 140KB IFO File
vts_01_1 0KB VOB
vts_01_2 600,930KB VOB
vts_01_3 177,056KB VOB

Attachments

Last edited:
well I'm not sure what is going on. Perhaps something you forgot to checkmark or something. Also don't highlight the files in smart ripper. Just insert the DVD, start smart ripper & then let it do the rest. Don't go clicking inside the Progam Chain Angles area. Leave it as is. If you start selecting chains, it doesn't mean there is an actual video in that chain. Most times the whole movie is in chain 1 or 2 anyways. (so your DVD should show something like 4G-7.8G or however big the DVD is.
Anyhow, I've attached a tutorial with images for you. This is a revamped version I'm doing from ChickenMan's tutorial (DVD to VCD with or without Sub-Titles), but it is still raw & has a fiew changes left to be made. But it might help you out here.
Other than that, wait for the bird that can't fly to get back to you.
Good luck.

PS
the password will be in your PM box

sorry, but can't seem to upload the file at this time (can't delete this thread also). Just check back again later (if the bird doesn't get back to you first).

Last edited: