Firebird 0.8 is out! (New name FIREFOX)

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

"...Mozilla Firebird evolves into the new Firefox 0.8 release. Thunderbird 0.5 released.

February 9, 2004 (the Internet) - The Mozilla Foundation today announced the immediate availability of a new preview release of its next generation web browser, Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla Firefox 0.8 represents the bleeding edge of Internet technology and raises the bar for ease of use, performance, robustness and standards compliance..."
:)

Laz

Great news cheers! :)

Is it just me or is this baby even quicker than 0.7? Good thing is despite the now obligatory installer and that it uses a diff prog folder because of the namechange it still auto picked up all my settings and bookmarks from 0.7. :cool:

Auto-detected, same here. I went to some trouble to backup the old Firebird profile too. I noted that the flashplayer function seems to be working straight from install (I've always had to manually install the plugin after each new variant of Firebird). And it's pretty lickety-schplickety to boot (though I can't tell whether it's faster).

But Firefox? What's next after the next tradename wrangle: Fire-toad? Fire-chimp? And are they going to get the aging Clint Eastwood to reprise his Xperimental fighterjet pilot role to represent the new name? (. . . used to play the old laser-disk Firefox game at the video arcade in the Belle Air Mall after school in the early eighties.)

Laz

Yea must admit I prefered the Firebird name, Firefox ?!?!? Does not really do it does it? :p

thx 4 news pals....do agree with u...prefer a bird instead of a 4 legged mammal :D perhaps the ppl @ mozilla.org want 2 distinguish their products...still firery,but 1 is a bird,1 is a mammal :p

Just trying out... Really nice!

I like the new professionnal looking about screen! It makes me accept the FireFox name...:)

Thanks for the info :)

Been trying to get that & new thunderbird all day, but mozilla ftp seems dead or full :(

BaNzI :D

Mozilla FTP is heavily hammered, so be patient... the namechange was certainly made due to licencing complaints- can't recall anymore, there was a relevant thread at Mozillazine forums.
More than that: 1. Non-installer builds at Mozillazine, 2. Piro (Hiroshi Shimoda) has issued a new tabbrowser extensions addon (considered a must by many FB/FF users) which works great with 0.8 (tested it under both Win32 and Linux, it really works super!).

Last edited:
Out of the frying pan, and into the firebird.

The first name, Phoenix, had some serious issues, the logical follow-on of Firebird had some problems with a database of the same name - resulting in a grudging compromise that it had to be called "Mozilla Firebird".

Not sure there are any problems with Firefox, other than remindiing you of Clint Eastwood's character having to "think in Russian".

The other annoyance is that it breaks up the naming scheme, unless the Mail client is to become "Thunderfox".

Thunderbird? - can you hum the theme tune?
But perhaps Thunderbird is "International Rescue" from Microsoft's virus hotel that masquerades as an email client.

A couple of questions guys (since I've never used Fire-anything for surfing):

1) Is this browser robust enough that you could use it in place of IE? Or are there lots of incompatibilities?

2) How does it stack up against Opera? (Which is not robust enough to satisfy item 1)

aybesea said:
A couple of questions guys (since I've never used Fire-anything for surfing):

1) Is this browser robust enough that you could use it in place of IE? Or are there lots of incompatibilities?

2) How does it stack up against Opera? (Which is not robust enough to satisfy item 1)
1)Yes using it right now ;)

2)!Not to sure don't use Opera
Best thing to do once installed go into Tools then options and now Extension to install extension you think you may need.

Laz

Agree with RASTABT, only come across a couple of sites that were Mozilla unfriendly and they were both because of Java not quite working properly.

If you like Mozilla, then you'll LOVE firefox!!! :)

Faster and a nicer look, it uses the same gecko engine, so as fast and as standart :)

As for thunderbird... wow v0.5 is really great! I think it could (almost) be called v1.0!! :)

big_gie said:
If you like Mozilla, then you'll LOVE firefox!!! :)

Faster and a nicer look, it uses the same gecko engine, so as fast and as standart :)

As for thunderbird... wow v0.5 is really great! I think it could (almost) be called v1.0!! :)
Correcting my previous post:
Tabbrowser extensions have issues with javascript, some web pages won't display properly with TBE enabled, unless they are loaded when the browser starts (not too practical, is it?).
Thunderbird works nice, but the spam filtering currently does not work well. Somehow the program developers must forget the current filtering libs and use something better, say bayesian filtering (like the last, exhellent versions of The Bat! client- clearly the BEST email client for Windows currently- and please don't bother me about rubbish like Eudora or Incredimail...) or a spam assassin module.

Last edited:
This software is unbelievable! I simply cannot believe that a browser can be this quick and accuarate! Thanks for the heads up.

From the www.mozillazine.org forums, people are praising SOME of the nightlies, and in the unofficial builds, some of the builders will often add an extra patch or 2 that are needed, but not officially "landed" yet.

A mini-war broke out, over the copyrighted artwork that cannot be used in non-official builds ... I'd side with the complainers and say it's a VERY poor showing for a supposedly open-source project.