DVD2SVCD Importing subtitles

Apologies for the delay again.

Glad to say since adding the new AC3 plugin (v7) I now have subtitles :)However, since the AVI had ac3 sound anyway, the conversion was done without converting the sound. Previous encodes that didn't display subs were mp3 audio and converted to ac3 during DVD2SVCD conversion.

So, although more hopeful now, I'm still curious if I'll still have subs displayed on future encodes that havent got ac3 sound.
Still, there's always a work around and that is to convert the audio track pria to encoding with DVD2SVCD.

Much happier now....a big thanxxx for your help guys, wouldn't know what to do without you! Just could do with a handy-man decorator now.....any offers!?

MXXX

I use to demux the audio out of the avi using VirtualDubMOD, then load into Goldwave, normalize, re-sample to 4800 if needed and save as a WAV. Convert WAV to AC3 with ffMPEGGui then add to original AVI, disable the original audio track and Save out a new AVI (with Video set to Direct Stream Copy).

You can now use CCE 2.70 with D2S, so check out the Plugins thread at Doom9. Secret is to NOT use Koepi's Xvid (reason unknow why it interfears) but Celtic_Druids build. Then also use the Muxman + plugins for problem free playback authoring :)

So Sorry for my late reply....having family problems!

Yes, close all gops is activated, I do believe when I was authoring with DVDLab Pro it through up a warning about the closed gops so I checked my settings in DVD2SVCD and enabled close all gops.

I used to demux the audio myself, just as you explained CM but that was a bit long winded and time consuming, especially when you've got 3 young kids around your ankles :)

Just checked out Doom9's site for the plugins but struggling to find Celtic_Druids build, have you a link for that please?

Are there any advantages of using CCE 2.70 over 2.5?

Thanx

Hope it sorts out for the better :)

Was just wondering cause lately ive had a couple of sources that needed closed gops for subs and chapters to work.

Last post here explains gops pretty well.
Code:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=105129
(some of)Celtic_Druids builds
Code:
http://tirnanog.fate.jp/mirror/XviD/
I believe you should get:
XviD.cvs.head.MTK.exe 10-Mar-2007 21:05

There are a few changes, but im still using a barton on nforce2 so im gonna stick with cce 2.50 for now. Ill leave the details to CM :)

Last edited:
bionic got the Xvid correct, download from _http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/XviD/ :)

Get the 2.70 pack from _http://scifi.pages.at/manolito/CCE270/D2S_CCE2.70.zip and READ the included text :) Its said all better in there than I can ever explain :D It also explains some of the nice things 2.70 can do over earlier versions.

The AC3 plugin has also been recently updated and now uses Aspen to do the ac3 conversion, not sure which one u got but hey, if its working :) _http://nickspage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ac3enc7+AC3_DVDAuthor.zip

And it should be made compulsory to use the Muxman authoring plugins as well, again from _http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XOD7JQTM but then bionic might have a later version that hes holding out on :D

Just as a comment, I have never closed GOPs, from how I read it, its a preferred option in DVD specs, not a compulsory option. I have always ignored DVD-Labs warning (its not an error) and has never created any playback issues.

The new TMPGEnc DVD Author ver 3 now allows the use of Subtitles and uses the *.str subs files, its working well for me :)

Hi Guys :)

Thanx for the linx, most appreciated!
I've downloaded all the bits and pieces and will put that all together in due course.

I did a recent batch encoded using ac3enc7 and that would fail on the audio transcoding, throwing up a 'aften.exe' error...? Reverting back to plugin V6 corrected that.
Not quite sure CM what you mean about the Aspen conversion? Besweet is still handling the conversion for me....as far as I know (being blonde and all that :) )

So pretty well excited about giving this a whirl..!

Thanx for your support

XXX

Sorry, a typo on my behalf, I did mean Aften :) I also remembered getting an error with the latest ac3enc7 and simply replaced the version of Aften with last "stable" version 0.06 from _http://sourceforge.net/projects/aften/ and then no issues.

It is advisable to use Aften to do the conversions as it simply makes more ac3 compliant files than the ac3enc.dll that comes with BeSweet/ffmpeg.

Also, just try the plugins in order. Get the Aften AC3 running first, then when thats okay, I'd add the Muxman plugins (you will need to locate the free version of Muxman.exe as its not in the bundled zip files above). Final step would be to try out CCE 2.70 but thats not essential, the AC3 and Muxman are almost essential additons :)

Done exactly that CM....did an encode with the new Muxman plugin which came out a treat.
About to proceed with a batch encode using the new Aften but not sure how to manually install that.? could you advise please :)

And as you say, to finally try out CCE 2.70.

XXX

Emma: Remember to point the AC3_DVDAuthor.bat to dvdauthor_hack.exe if you want to use the batchmux and the ac3 plugin in conjunction.
Atleast thats what i do and it works great.

Theres a new version of the batchmux plugin out, version 1.4.
It adds support for subs with more than one line of text and also proper chapter creation when files are encoded with cce (2.70)

Get it at doom9s

Last edited:
That's the trouble CM, from the files I've downloaded there isnt an 'Aften.exe' to over-write...?
The folders contain CMake modules, and an Aften folder which contains 'aften.c'. Also a 'util' and 'libaften' folders.

A very confused blonde
XXX

Thanx for the link Bionic :) x

Cant find rev 90 tho...? The one i downloaded is 0.06zip (feb 2nd 2007)rev340. Think thats the one I'm using already?

Have done a couple of encodes now where the authoring process has only produced Vob files, no ifo files...?

XXX

Try with gops closed.
I think you have stumbled upon the same issue ive had.
With certain/some sources theres no chapter creation and the resulting dvd is vobs only if encoded with open gops.
Im going to try and look into it some.

Dont know why rev 490 was removed perhaps a new build is on its way or there was some issues with that build, havent tested it yet.

:)

I've ALWAYS encoded with Open Gops and and only get that problem about 4 in 5 encodes. I have NOT been able to find any correlation as to why this happens, but Closed/Open Gops is definitely not the reason. I know its a bit of a pain, but it onlt takes 10min max to manually author them in TDA anyway, so thats all I do to "overcome" the problem.

One thing though I've noticed, if the avi originally had AC3 audio, it has ALWAYS authoured correctly. That tells ne there is something still not quite right with the ac3 conversion, there is a new version 0.07 of Aften out yesterday so must try that.

Did a batch encode of 2 TV episodes last night, they both authored ok but the sound on the second was in slow motion!....playback of the wav was ok, just the ac3 conversion was at fault.

Thought about using the Aften gui to manually convert wav to ac3, anyone used this?

Will try the new Aften also.....i've plenty of TV ep's to encode.

xxx

I've ALWAYS encoded with Open Gops and and only get that problem about 4 in 5 encodes. I have NOT been able to find any correlation as to why this happens, but Closed/Open Gops is definitely not the reason. I know its a bit of a pain, but it onlt takes 10min max to manually author them in TDA anyway, so thats all I do to "overcome" the problem.

One thing though I've noticed, if the avi originally had AC3 audio, it has ALWAYS authoured correctly. That tells ne there is something still not quite right with the ac3 conversion, there is a new version 0.07 of Aften out yesterday so must try that.
Yeah always open gops here too. I was messing about and with (i think) aften 484 and batchmux 1.3, closed gops always authorered ok for me, open gops not(source audio 6ch ac3 encoded in d2s to stereo).
I didnt pay very close attention though, im not trying to claim gops are to blame, probably just a symptom/indicator.

Im doing some test encodes with a "problem" source and batchmux 1.3 vs 1.4 and different aften versions.
Hopefully some pattern will occur, so far aften 490 and batchmux 1.4 seems the least "compatible" open or closed gops doesnt seems to matter at all,
but its a bit early to tell :)

Btw have you tested dvdauthor 3?

edit: @Emma ive been using aftegui for a short while, theres also the EncWAVtoAC3
http://thefrontend.sourceforge.net/EncWAVtoAC3/ (also has win32 builds of aften for download) This one supports saving of configs and has aften buildt in.

Last edited:
Im doing some test encodes with a "problem" source and batchmux 1.3 vs 1.4 and different aften versions.
Will be interested in what you find :)

Btw have you tested dvdauthor 3?
I assume you mean TMPGenc DVDAuthor 3. Yes, I bought it the day it was released and is just about all I ever use now. An update was out 1 or 2 days ago for it also. Works well like ver 2 but does SRT subtitles so now a complete authoring tool. Few more menu options and I see they released a few Menu templates for downloading as well (though I make my own Menus). Havent used its DivX Authoring yet, have no need.