DVD2SVCD Importing subtitles

Hi :)

Been using DVD2SVCD 1.2.3 b1 to convert avi to DVD for some time now but never tried importing subtitles til now. Importing the .srt file and previewing how the subs are displayed seems fine. However, playing back the authored DVD thro' my PC using Cyberlink Power DVD 7, I cannot get the english subtitles to display. The encode created a subs folder with over a thousand .png files.

Could someone please advise where i'm going wrong or if there's an alternative to adding these subs.

Thank you

Emma
xxx

Im thinking a poisition problem, a bad sub(overlapping, bad characters etc.) or a (scaling?)quirk with powerdvd.

Do the subs show as activated\on in powerdvd.
D2s doesnt set subs to be always on, they must be manually turned on.

You can check the srt with Subtitle Workshop or submagic.
If your doing several subs try with just one
You can adjust the display positioning in d2s using the ntsc/pal std and ext Y-pos values on the subs "page"
The ext Y-pos (ntsc or pal)values are the ones you would change to adjust vertical positioning.

Personally i dont author subbed dvds with dvd2svcd, i author the streams and subs in dvdlab, its not perfect but gives more control and options.

The subs folder is just a temp folder.

:)

Thanks for you reply bionic.

The srt file opens ok in subresync, which displays all the subs. Ideally, i would prefer just the forced subs for the foriegn language parts but subresync doesn't give me that option to select those.

Windows media player 11 will display the subs when the avi is being played and they're in perfect sync, no overlapping etc.

As regards the positioning of the subs for pal, my default settings are ext y-posit 480, I'll play about with this but what would you recommend?
What do you mean by manually turning on the subs, how do I do that?

Thanks again

Em

NP :)
Windows media player 11 will display the subs when the avi is being played and they're in perfect sync, no overlapping etc.
Subs may look ok but still have a strange character or something that can throw off the subs generation\rendering.
As regards the positioning of the subs for pal, my default settings are ext y-posit 480, I'll play about with this but what would you recommend?
Hard to say..depends really(cropping, ar, resizing, display scaling etc) I tend to leave it at default though, its been a while so i cant really recall but i think 400-480 is a sensible range.

I usuallly test write with dvdrws if in doubt.

What do you mean by manually turning on the subs, how do I do that?
Dont use powerdvd so i dont really know, but there should be an option somewhere (Im guessing theres possibly a right click menu option on the display window?) :)

Last edited:
Hi again :)

Encoded again to no avail :-(

Subs were selected in PowerDVD and also with WinDVD, still nothing?

Will try the DVD-RW option and take it from there.

Will report back tomorrow....

Thanx bionic

Em

Hi

Tried the dvd-rw option and still no subs through my DVD player :(

Fortunately, I have DVDLab Pro 1.53 but never actually tried it, always been happy with DVD Author Pro, but doesn't give you the option to import subs.

So, will give that a whirl, hope it's as straight forward as DVD Author Pro...a blonde easilly gets confused you know! :)

Thank you bionic....don't go too far away, I may have to call on you again! ;)

Em
xxx

Well on the bright side if you master dvdlab youll have all your authoring needs covered.
Just take your time and read the help file, should get you there.
Anything you want to know, just ask :)

I believe the last version of dvdlab pro is 2.26, theres lots of changes and improvements from the 1.5x versions incl some subs generating/display improvements.

Worst case scenario up the subs somewhere and pm me the link, maybe i can make some sense of it

Well I've used DVD2SVCD "many" times with *.str subs without an issue. In D2S Subtitle tab make sure Rip Subtitles and DVD Subtiles options are ticked/selected. Also Subtile 1 is set to English (or what ever if its not) but the *.str file MUST contain English subs if you select English. I set font to Verdana 24. As for Subtitle Palette, I suggest you hit the Default button as you may have transparent subs (difficult to see :D ), I'd had all sorts of probs here initially, so just leave at default. Dont change the positioning numbers, just leave at default.

You load the fonts in via the Go and select "Add External Subtitle streams". I assume your doing all this okay, just thought I'd re-iterate just incase :)

During playback, the subtitles are NOT automatically turned on by default as you have found. I use PCGEdit or IfoEdit to turn then on by default (bit complicated to explain the use of these here but do a search for either as I'm sure there are long tutes around that explains how.)

Another solution is get DVDLabPro ver 2.x as it can handle str subs very well and can turn them on for you during playback also. The new TMPGEnc DVD Author Pro can also now handle Subs but I am yet to try it out.

Hi guys, nice to hear from you again CM :)

I tried 3 times with DVD2SVCD with the default settings, toyed around a little with the positioning, all to no avail. After importing the subtitle stream and then hitting go I'm presented with 'Subtitle and colour selection' window.
The little check box is selected and the subtitle palette is left at default. When previewed (before hitting go) all seems fine.

I'd upload the subs to you, if i knew how, quite curious to why am having problems. I'm very minimalistic where software is concerned and like to keep things simple, I don't have a lot of time being a mum of 3 and a nursing student.

Anyway, scratched my head a few times with DVDLab and found some useful tutorials which helped me along the way.
Pleased to say I got there eventually!!

Thanx for your help boys!

MXXX

Last edited:
NP, Good Job :)

For future reference(or if you still would like me to take a look)
You can archive the subs with your archiver of choice (fex. winzip, winrar or 7zip)
Then upload them to any of the free filesharing services (fex. rapidshare, fileho or sendspace) or you can archive then attach them here, id make sure to add an archive password and use encryption of filenames, just to keep the content private.

All the filesharing services function much like attaching a file here.
You browse for your file, upload it then you get a download and a delete link.
You give the download link to whoever should have access to your file.

Hello again :)

Zipped up the .srt file and attached here for you to take a look. I've pm'd you both with the password.

Thanx for your help guys.

Mxxx

Attachments

The subs seems fine, no significant errors are found with subtitle workshop.
I did a full test encode and the subs displays correctly.
So im guessing some random anomaly with d2s is to blame.

Good movie btw :)

Last edited:
When you say random anomaly with d2s, I've encoded the film 4 times with no subs displayed ??

I'm using D2SRoba 3.80 and DVD2SVCD 1.2.3 build1. Subtitle settings are left at default and display OK when previewed.....Puzzled???

Not seen the movie yet, hopefully this weekend :) x

Well..i meant to say anomaly with d2s and those subs/avi in particular, d2s in my experince do tend to have the occasional reprodusable quirk with certain sources or combination of sources, even though they seem fine etc.
Not weekend yet, but enjoy

Last edited:
I've tried both WinDVD and PowerDVD. Also burned to DVD-RW and tried on stand alone player.

Will try importing a different subtitle file and see how we go from there.

Thanx guys

XXX

Hi sorry for my delayed reply.

Tried again importing into DVD2SVCD, this time a MicroDVD sub file. They display ok in the DVD2SVCD preview, but playing back the encoded\authored movie there's still no subs? I'm playing back using Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.

CM, could this be anything to do with the AC3enc6 plugin (AC3_DVD Author.bat + sed.exe) ?

Thanx

Im using the latest version of the ac3 plugin (using aften for encoding) and subs display fine.
I was concerned about this, are there any indication of subs being present when played in powerdvd. Maybe do a test encode without the ac3 plugin?