Burnatonce XP

Like many others, I installed BAO 0.96 without an aspi layer in XP.

Naturally it didn't work. I've since upgraded to 0.97 and installed ASPI 4.71 and rebooted.

Now I have a frozen computer after booting up BAO.

According to Adaptec, I can't install ASPI 4.60 with XP and Windows Media Player.

What do I do here?

bode :)

aspi!!!

Aspi4.60.1021 is the best aspi ever and knowing a roxio quality wont be better--ever!!!!!!!!!!:D Aspi4.60 is more then suffecient to run all proggies--xp or not!!!!!!!!

Sorted :) Thanks folks.

FAO jamieo. If you read this, I have a suggestion for your site.

Can you have an idiots guide for XP users on your homepage?

bode :)

I wonder what is the meaning of such posts... :rolleyes:
http://www.burnatonce.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=3
I copypaste from the above site (Burnatonce FAQ):

burnatonce support faq
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASPI Questions

# Q. Why does burnatonce show "Cannot load ASPI driver" every time it's run?
# A. Like many cd writing programs a working ASPI layer is required to use burnatonce. Adaptec's ASPI 4.60 is recommended.

# Q. I've downloaded Adaptec's ASPI 4.60 but it won't install since no 'qualifying product' can be found.
# A. Please see the post below which explains how to get round this problem.

# Q. I have ASPI 4.60 installed correctly but burnatonce will still not write correctly (CD Writer is detected).
# A. This behavior can be caused by a program CDRInspector. Please try uninstalling this software.

# Q. burnatonce doesn't detect my drive, I am using Adaptec's ASPI 4.70 or later.
# A. This is a known problem of Adaptec's ASPI 4.70, please use Adaptec's ASPI 4.60. Version 4.71 is supposed to fix the problems of 4.70 but doesn't seem to.

# Q. I get a blue screen when attempting to write with burnatonce
# A. This is a known problem of Adaptec's ASPI 4.7x, please use Adaptec's ASPI 4.60.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything in there that is not properly understood?

Yes, this is all very true until you arrive at Adaptec's download site telling you not to do this.

dx

bode said:
Yes, this is all very true until you arrive at Adaptec's download site telling you not to do this.
Just ignore Adaptec..... silly rabbits :rolleyes:

As was said before ASPI 4.60.1021 is more than sufficient for XP machines. Newer versions are just too problematic to mess with. ;)

It would be nice if the BAO engine (CDRDAO) could utilize a less problematic device interface. Unfortunately CDRDAO is at heart a Unix application, and the windows emulator that makes it work under Win32 (cygwin) needs ASPI to initialize SCSI and ATAPI peripherals.

There IS a burn engine in XP, but how versatile it is, and how practical it would be to use it is another question.

Somehow, I doubt that it has the same level of functionality as CDRDAO. The CDRECORD engine is no help either, as that has the same reliance on ASPI.

LTR1210B: Do you mean Imapi?
This is effectively "DirectCD lite", and cannot even implement disk-at-once burning, which is essential for making say Red Book compliant CD's.

Also, on the download page:

Adaptec's ASPI Layer 4.60

Required to use burnatonce on Windows 9x/Me/2k/XP.
In the helpfile:

System Requirements

IBM compatible PC running Windows 9x/Me/2000/XP
Adaptec ASPI 4.60 (recommended for all versions of windows)
Why bother when you tell people time and time again and they still don't believe you? :(

Jamie

Jamieo

Thats the beauty of love (or something like that)

or put another way U can take a horse to water but U cant make it drink;) :cool: :D

scarecrow said:
LTR1210B: Do you mean Imapi?
This is effectively "DirectCD lite", and cannot even implement disk-at-once burning, which is essential for making say Red Book compliant CD's.
That must be what I was thinking of - not even "DirectCD Lite" though - I thought it only did multisession.

Just wondered if it might have had hidden depths, but from Microsoft, more likely hidden bugs!

DPAEHL - seems to have interfaced it for some purposes
http://www.paehl.de/english.php
Some way down, Xpburn - not much info and a very poor screenshot - a GUI for it, but presumably no more than a basic file compilation tool - but if so, a better way of using it than Microsoft's muddled idea.

So, it's not a solution with any potential then, and, of course, the added drawback that it's XP-only!

Is there a native Windows burn engine anywhere?
Or a better implementation of ASPI - that's ADVANCED SCSI Programming Interface, not "Adaptec........"

Adaptec/ROXIO have always said NOT to use that version in XP, yet paradoxically, it seems it's the only version that's any good?

Last edited:
Problem is Jamieo many are to keen to use your program and like you keep pointing out week in week out they just don't read the FAQ! or instructions before hand....
ASPI 4.60

VIPER_1069 said:
whats classed as UNLAWFUL ANYHOW !?
I am not sure at all... you'd better ask this question to your Justice Secretary. Then, do the EXACT opposite of his suggestions, it may well be "unlawful" but it will be the right thing to do for sure! :p

LOL!!

It's just a disclaimer so the software developer is not responsible for stupid copyright laws.You are not even expected to make backups of software you might have paid hundreds of dollars for.:rolleyes: