AthlonXP 2600+ beating out the P4 2.53

h**p://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=202

Insert:
On the third anniversary of the first Athlon launch, AMD proudly presents the best processor on the market today, the Athlon XP 2600+. Giving the P4 2.53 a whoopin at stock speeds, shows what the real end users will see when they get the best purchase in AMD.

It has to be a lot more stable than anything microsoft has to offer
Ive been using AMD chips since they first came out and have no complaints - microsoft on the other hand continue to serve out crap!

dx

And I went from a P4 1.33 to a Athlon XP 2100+. Best thing I ever did...and I was a die hard Intel freak! Not anymore ;)

Don't get me wrong I still like Intel. I think it's good that we have all this competition. With IBMs PowerPC and AMDs Hammer processors leading the way...Intel better start getting their act in gear or they will find themselves way behind.

I'm an AMD fanboy. D@mn straight. Just wanted to say that.

P.S. Despite the fact that everyone + dog complains about VIA 4-in-1 drivers, at least they work most of the time and they get upgraded regularly. I was working one a puter at a job the other day and the Intel 440 chipset drivers had become corrupted. The official Intel installation program would not install over the old messed-up driver set. That meant a full OS reinstall, which the company b!tched about, but there was no other option. A huge waste of time.

i just purchased athlon xp 1800+ ignoring p4 2 GHz (highest available in Bangladesh). i guess, i did it right.

As much as I hate surveys, in this situation I would be interested to know how many people have really had probs with amd or intel chips (bought in last six months so as not to drag up past problems) so as to seperate the fact from bullshit!

davydz, I have never had any problems with AMD (XP chipset) or Intel P3.
Now older Athlon T-birds and some prior to them were fairly buggy (but some people had good success), and the P4s I have seen some problems with.
At the some of my offices I have seen a few problems (mainly with the motherboards for intel based PCs and video cards burning out). Total of about 300+ PCs and would say about 50 of them have been doing that.
*120 P4s/300
*82 AMD XP/300
*rest P3s and 8 Macs
Issues I have had with AMD XPs are with people not shutting down their PCs properly (they turn off the PSU in the back instead of shutting down OS first) LOL. Some real idiots at the offices. Also the occassional miss-boot (but I think it has to do with them not shutting them down properly first).

As for my home PCs, I haven't had any problems with any (AMD XP or Intel P3s). Have 4 PCs at home (3 with intel P3s and 1 with AMD XP). Ofcourse it all depends if you pick out your hardware properly first and your system configuration and how much abuse you give your PCs. My AMD is on almost 24/7 since I got it January (the P3s are on from time to time).

Intel offers stable products but little costy than AMD

I was using AMD for a long time but suddenly swiched to Intel. I think is the best move I did saying good bye to VIA crap, I don't much blame AMD but it runs so HOT why? Intel has reputation and better financial status than AMD therefore will continue having better support and the best drivers/utilities than AMD. Intel can not be beaten so easily by AMD.
Today I purchesed P4 2.4B Ghz 533FSB 512kb L2
along with Intel D845EBG2L motherboard . I just installed, haven't run any programs except 3D MARK 2001 SE. Solid combination, No issues. I'm sure this a better investment than AMD.

VIA shit

That's right VIA is the man's worst enemy. AMD should expand it's market making their own chip, otherwise relying on VIA is pain in a ass.
VIA's ac 97 sound codec sucks big time. Intel integrated sound is Sound MAX , on my board, and it's better than any VIA sounds I've witnessed.

Last edited:
Sammie, AMD does make their own chips also (called AMD760/761 being the 2 most famous) and are very solid.
I can't say that one chipmaker is more stable than the other (intel or AMD) but mostly the fault lies with VIA or other mobo chipmakers. That's the plain good bad ugly truth about it all.
I haven't had much trouble with VIA but they do tend to burn out a lot. Perhaps all depends on your luck or mobo manufacturer you go with.
At any rate, as long as you have something that runs perfectly for you. Though I wouldn't recommend a P4 or AMD prior to XP series to anyone lol

Shadoe . I know about AMD 761 that's a old chipset for me to use.
thay also had the AMD 750 but got stuck at 761 and that's it.

I've had perfect luck with Abit m/b's that use VIA chipsets. Have currently Duron 750, Athlon 1.1ghz, and Athlon XP 2000+ in Abit KT7E, KT7A-RAID, and AT7-RAID.

I just say "no" to the 4-in-1 drivers with XP (and 2000), and all works quite well. Rock solid in XP. My machines are on 24/7 and my hard drives go out occasionally (under warranty, though!), but I never lost an AMD CPU (sold a few as I upgraded) nor an Abit m/b.... Have had a crappy Asus with Intel chipset fry on me, an Intel 97E Smart m/b fry back in the Pentium 233 days. Had K6-2 chips, but they were still on their way to becoming real AMD processors. The Athlon and XP CPUs shine in my book.

Yes AMD have come along way since the K6's and original Athlons, the XP's are great and i personal have never had overheating or stability problems,
I think having your machine's bios setting spot on are a must and good memory.

The motherboard is everything. The procs are fine whatever would be, Intel or AMD. The best way to get a problem free comp is to buy a good MB (not a cheep one) and a good memory.

And as for the VIA AC97, it's there just in case you don't have a sound card, so better go buy one... :)