A few questions.

Chrisuk

Hi, ive just recently bought a DVD burner and was wondering about a few things.

1. Which program would be best to convert avi to dvd when i download movies? (ill be converting to PAL as im in the UK and would be playing the dvds on my computer and playstation 2.

2. Which program is best for burning dvd's to disk?

I know their r many programs but from ur own experiences, which ones have u found to work best for u.

thanks for any replies,
Chris

may i suggest check the tutorials section here as a good starting point Chris chickenmans guide using DVD2SVCD is a good point for avi/divx/xvid to dvd conversion :)

if you want a straight copy of a dvd then you cannot go far wrong with LAZ'S excellent freeware guide alson in the above tutorials section :)

Chrisuk

Thanks for the link Viper, i downloaded all these programs.

Im not sure whether i have to use another program beforehand or if Cinema Craft Encoder has to be open but i encountered a problem.

I went into DVD2VCD and started converting my AVI.file to DVD format.
It first comes up with the message 'Encoding Using Cinema Craft' then Audio Extraction & Conversion finished but after that it came up with the message 'Failed to execute Cinema Craft Encoder properly. Invaled handle'

The first thing i did when i downloaded the movie (downloaded not dvd copy) was go to DVD2VCD.

Is there another program that has to be open whil running DVD2VCD?
Was there a step i missed that i have to go back to before converting?

Chris

What version of CCE are you using ? If its anything other than version 2.50 then you need to use EclCCE as mentioned in the Tute.

Not all AVI's are created equal and MANY have internal problems even though they may appear to play okay on the PC. Check them with DivFix and/or Divxrepair first.

Chrisuk

It was the 2.50 version i was using, but its ok now, i got Cucusoft and was able to convert it easily. :)

Thanks for the help.

Chrisuk

One more quick question.... for now at least, lol. :)

I have a movie, its 4.8GB, my blank dvd's only hold 4.7gb, how do i make a 4.8gb movie fit onto the blank dvd?

I have tried using dvdshrink and dvd2one but from what i have seen both of these are only for original dvds u r copying to shrink ..... i.e. it wont open the folder i have the movie in, it looks for a dvd in the driver.

Chris

Shrink will compress it for you to dit to a DVDR (its size is actually 4.37gb). Run Shrink and click the Open Files button. Browse to your VIDEO_TS folder that contains the dvd files. Then hit Backup button. Select either your burner (if you have Nero installed, it will write the final encode to a dvdr), an ISO image (use DVD Decrypter to burn) or Hard Disk Folder (you can use Nero, RNM, etc to burn this out but also play on your HD to check it first).

Chrisuk

Rather than make a new thread and push others off i thought id just ask in here.

I have copied a movie to my comp but when i went to open it it came up with the film by track number.... i.e. when u watch it there is a break every 2 mins or so as it moves onto the next track.

Is there a way to 'stick' them all together without having to see this short space every couple of minutes as i want to put the movie on a dvd.

Chris

stuartkagy

Hi Chicken Man!
I read your tutorial on Converting DivX to DVD. I found it to be an invaluable reference. Many thanks for the time you put into it.
I downloaded the lates version of CCE. It will not work with DVD2VCD. I tried downloading and installing EclCCE. I tried both having the DVD2VCD program point to it as recommended. When that did not work I tried having the DVD2VCD program point directly to CCE. I got an error message on that as well. Any suggestions? Stu

I would not suggest using the very latest 2.67.0.27, as they seam to have changed things and Eclcce is not working with it (but I'm sure the next version of eclcce will, we just have to wait) but as I suggest, CCE 2.50 is the fastest and 100% fully functional. The link to it is in the Tute.

stuartkagy

Yes, I first downloaded the trial version provided at the link. But I was annoyed by the watermark. So I then went to the website and bought the current version of CCE.
As far as I know, they do not offer the older version 2.50
:)

TheBeaner4U

Response To Scarecrow RE: Cinema Craft 269

I am going to try that. But I complained to their support department via email (its the only way you can contact support) about the compatibiity problems, and they did not respond to my email. So I am not real hopeful they will respond to this request either. :-(
Stu

scarecrow said:
You know the rules scarecrow we do not Encourage piracy here ! :mad: >>>VIPER_1069 <<<<[/COLOR] :)
I guess I know the rules, but it's not really my fault that the arguably best version of CCE is not sold anymore. I would gladly exchange my legal CCE SP 2.67 with a legit version of it, or buy it anew, but since this is not feasible my choice is pretty natural and the only way out. You see, for some stupid reason known only to the vendor my legit 2.67 serial does not work with the older version! I tried to contact them by email and phone, but it seems your chances to get a decent answer from them are pretty slim, if you don't speak Japanese...

TheBeaner4U

Cce 2.50

I did receive a reply. This is what they wrote to me:

"Stuart,

I'm going to check and see if I can still get the V2.5 of CCE Basic as according to my records we've never delivered anything lower than version 2.67.

Now just a couple of things should I be able to get 2.5 for you, there would be no technical support available on it since it is not a current version. In addition since you are using in the context of a non-officially supported third party application there would be no support available.

Please hang in there and I'll see what I can do.

James Colyer
Visible Light Digital, Inc."

9/22/04 Received new correspondence from the Cinema Craft Vendor:
Stuart,

There is no CCEB 2.5. We just had our main Cinema Craft rep in the office yesterday and I asked him specifically about this. He said that there is no CCEB 2.5, only CCE Lite had a version 2.5. CCEB's version numbers picked up where CCE Lite's left off, right around version 2.5.

The CCEB manual is already on your computer. You can get to it either via the Start Menu -> Programs -> Custom Technology, or with Windows Explorer you can find it in your main system drive, usually C:\program files\custom technology.

James Colyer
Visible Light Digital, Inc.

My Reply:
That's interesting, the literature on the web says that CCE lite and CCE 2.50 are different programs, but you are the vendor so you must be right.
There is a plug in available on the web for post 2.50 versions of CCE, (see below) but the plug in has not been updated for v2.69. Until it is, CCE is useless to me.
I bought this program specifically to run in conjunction with DVD2VCD. One VERY peculiar aspect of this problem is that the trial version of Cinema Craft runs perfectly well with the program. But the watermark was so annoying to me that I shelled out the money to buy the full program. Their is a plug in available on the web for post v2.50But now I find that not only does CCE v2.69 not work with DVD2VCD,
I have not been able to get the program to successfully run by itself as yet. When I try to get it to encode an I keep getting an error message saying there is not enough disk space, even though there was 38 Gigs of free space on my hard drive. What do you think is wrong?"
Stu
"For the re-encoded ones, CCE gives the best quality output by far. Most people would have
difficulties distinguishing it from the original on playback regardless of their playback equipment, I know I cant."
"If you wish to use a later version of CCE such as 2.66 or 2.67 then you need to install EclCCE (from http://home.t-online.de/home/340044300675/ ), run it once and point to your cctspt.exe (the CCE executable). Then in the Encoder tab of DVD2SVCD, you now need to point to eclCCE.exe instead of cctspt.exe. CCE version 2.66 is substantially slower than 2.50 (about 15% slower) and no visible difference in picture quality. DVD2SVCD is NOT compatible with CCE Lite at the moment."

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out, Microsoft, for example, support the purchasing of WinXP and if your hardware is not up to it, allowing tou to installing Win98 instead. They cannot supply Win98 but you can install any OLDER copy (pirated, borrowed, lent, hired, etc) you like as long as you have your WinXP receipt. I'd be extremely supprised CCE is any different.

ChickenMan said:
I'd also like to point out, Microsoft, for example, support the purchasing of WinXP and if your hardware is not up to it, allowing tou to installing Win98 instead. They cannot supply Win98 but you can install any OLDER copy (pirated, borrowed, lent, hired, etc) you like as long as you have your WinXP receipt. I'd be extremely supprised CCE is any different.
Yes this is true regarding MS, but it applies for retail windows versions' licences, not OEM... Actually I have replaced my OEM XP Home Greek edition (from recovery disks) with XP Home OEM English (I cannot stand the greek menus), which I regged and reactivated using my "greek" serial (on XP serials are not language specific). While I can update online perfectly well and use all the rights the initial licence offers me, what I have done is not part of the software EULA and so Microsoft might well claim that I use illegal software! (but it won't, I guess...).

TheBeaner4U

DVD2VCD Compatibility with Cinema Craft 2.69 Cont...

I received this email from the vendor that sells Cinema Craft in the USA. And also shown below is my reply.

"Stuart,

I've got some bad news for you. The product that you are needing for use with DVD2VCD is Cinema Craft Encoder Lite, which hasn't been available at all since CCEB replaced it.

I don't even have the software or a key block for it so I couldn't sell you a copy if I wanted to.

Sorry,

James Colyer
Visible Light Digital, Inc."

My Reply:

No, its v2.5 I need. CCE Lite does not work with it.
Can you get me 2.5?
Also, no manual or any instructions of any kind came with the download. And while there are manuals for the other CCE versions available on the web site, there was no working link for a manual for CCE Basic. Can you send me the manual on .pdf?
Stu Kagy