xvcd or svcd

Image quality is determined not just by data bitrate. An XVCD done at 720x576 (PAL) @ 2500 and a full screen 4:3 movie will be worse than a SVCD @ 480x576 at the same data rate. SVCD also allows VBR to be used and can produce better quality again.

so chickenman are you saying that if i change my output settings to 480/576 i will have better quality on my stand alone on tv also i am only encoding dvd movies no selfmade movies

I'm saying a SVCD at 480x576 compared to an XVCD at 720x576 with same bitrate, etc will be better on your TV. But your DVD Player needs to play SVCD of course. Make a small one and compare the 2, only you can be the final judge.

You guys get to tech. for simple questions. XVCD is an non standard vcd. You can set the res. where you want, the bitrate to what you want, actually you can dam near change what ever. There is no standard for it. My personal prefrence is the xvcd. I usually keep my bitrate around 1650 1700 when I have to add filters to keep the file size down. Of course I usually deal with DL vids of the web, so I probably wouldnt use XVCD if I was ripping though.

As for the guys above if everything was all equal, chickman is right, but then there are so many other things you can do to produce better quality.