xp install

ok you'll probally think this is a stupid ? but how do you install xp pro to a newly formated drive.

I 've been successfull in installing 98 using a startup disk with the setup command at the A: promt but when I try rebooting without the startup disk in you know what it says(invalid system disk bla,bla,bla)

so I insert 98 start disc, use the setup command again and it says "cannot perform setup from DOS" (with the xp cd in)

any ideas out there

bty I know it can be done I've seen it just don't know how he did it?
does it have something to do with the boot device?

WIN. XP PRO : h..p://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/310994/WIN98MeXP/EN-US/WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE

WIN XP HOME :
h..p://download.microsoft.com/download/WinXPHome/Install/310994/WIN98MeXP/EN-US/WinXP_EN_HOM_BF.EXE

Other languages:
h..p://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

:eek: No direct links allowed... edit by RASTABT. :mad:

re-boot disk

thanks guys

@ poko yes the xp disc is bootable, just don't know how, or can't get it to boot on restart or ctrl/alt/del or using the setup command from the win 98 startup disk?

This sounds to simple but are you trying to boot the XP disc in dos?, try just loading windows then inserting the disc so it boots and go for "upgrade", thats how it works with the XP home.

Turn on the computer hit delete key , you will see some settings menus go to the second one down hit returng , then go to Boot secuence and use the page up page down buttons to make CD the first boot device hit escape twice saving the settings then rebooting with the cd in and hit a keys when promped :p

Hope that helps