xp install prob

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently low level formatted my 20g hdd now when I tried to reinstall xp I get black screen after Window XP boot screen comes up .It's like the desktop was not installed.
So I installed Win 2000 then upgraded to XP thinking that it would keep my desktop intact, but with no luck blank sceen again after boot screen.?
Now im thinking that the cdrw must be damaged?
Any ideas out there on how to fix prob. without buying new XP disc.

WD 20g
256 ram
asus mb

dx

When you say, "Window XP boot screen comes up," which do you mean? The first boot after a successful install, during the install (XP reboots once during the install for me), or as the first installation screen is booting?

sorry dx
I meant after complete install.

the boot up screen that says Windows XP just before the welcome screen comes up

If you didn't use an outdated "shortcut" to simplify the online registration procedure, then you shouldn't encounter this problem.

"outdated "shortcut" to simplify the online registration procedure"

What do you mean Scarecrow?
I have used this xp copy to install xp on this machine many times with no prob any other time.
Is the PID I'm using banned now, giving this result?
The PID is legit I think as i did'nt buy the copy but my cosin did (maybe he gives me bogus PID) or got copy of a Original XP then gave me copy.

Anywho: Would a banned PID do this?

BTW I relize if this is the case that the thread would be closed so that we can't break any Rulz

Last edited:

dx

crater said:
Anywho: Would a banned PID do this?

BTW I relize if this is the case that the thread would be closed so that we can't break any Rulz
Seems scarecrow made my point. :rolleyes: It was either the illegal PID or a non bootable copy that I was after... you said yes to both.

Yes and yes. A banned PID can and will do this and yes we cannot help you with that... sorry Forum rules you know link. You'll need to talk to that "cousin" of yours. ;)

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.