Windows XP x64 startup/shutdown problems

I just recently installed Windows XP x64 on a new system:

Epox 8KDA3I Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 2800+
ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
Western Digital 80GB SATA HD (Primary Drive/ OS installed on)
WD 80GB IDE HD (Secondary Drive/ stores video files)
Lite-on DVD-RW 811s
Corsair Value Select 512MB RAM

I have two separate problems... I think the first is more troublesome than the second.

1) Whenever I turn my system on, it will not boot from my hard drive. It looks for boot records on my floppy drive, boot records on my CD drives, then it is supposed to look for boot records on my hard drives - specifically my SATA drive where Windows x64 is installed. It gives an error like boot record not found, please instert system disk and hit enter. At this point I have not been able to find a way out of this except ctrl+alt+del.

Since this has been happening since I installed the OS a couple of days ago (note: a couple of days ago was when I received all my parts and I have never ran this system with anything other than x64) I thought the boot record might have been messed up in the install process. To fix this I slip in my x64 CD, boot from it (which worked just fine), rebuild the boot sector, then restart...

The computer reboots, asks me to hit a key if I want to boot from my CD - I don't, then after that times out I boot directly into x64. Problem fixed? Not so fast. I restart my computer again without the Windows CD in the drive and I get the same error message from before. I slip the CD back into the drive, let the "press any button to boot from this CD" message time out and it boots me right into Windows again.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I have moved my hard drive up and down in the BIOS boot order, even making my hard drive the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot devices... no change. The only time I can get my system to boot is when it wants to boot from a CD, but I let it time out.

2) My system will not shutdown completely. Whenever I hit the shutdown button it logs everything off, goes to the light blue screen that says Windows is shutting down, then after a normal amount of time the lights on my computer will turn off, but the "Windows is shutting down" screen stays up there and my system will never shut down. The only way I can get it off the screen is to hit the power button.

As a not the system has no trouble whatsoever when it comes to restarting. It closes everything, says Windows is shutting down, then restarts.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated!
Thanks

Upgrade your mobo BIOS, enable ACPI, and checkout the boot sequence and the way the SATA is initialized (you may consult the mobo manual). It would be nice if you could give a summary of your settings.

I'll have no problem updating my BIOS and as soon as I figure out how to enable ACPI I'll do that as well.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but what would be the best way for me to show everyone my settings?

I've double checked everything with the manual including the SATA setting so I would think they are correct.

Thanks