Windows XP Pro Install problems

:(

Windows XP Pro Install problems

My current system is an MoBo ECS 841LR, chipset Sis 740, Athlon XP 1600 , 256 MB DDR Memory, 10 GB HD, LG 48X CD-ROM, Ricoh MP9120 DVD/CDRW, running Win98SE very well.

Today I've tried to install a Win XP Pro, and I don't have success to do this.

1st I've tried install on another free partition on the same disk.

2nd I've tried install over Windows 98SE.

3rd I've tried a fresh install over a Win98SE fresh install too, without any others softwares.

In all cases the installation stops and I've these following messages:
(once at each try)

1) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

2) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

3) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

In each reboot on the same install, all the 3 messages appear random. (Not make any sense to me).

I've tried too do the MS sugestions, like disable shadow bios, and another things like that, without positive effect.

I've tried increase the memory times in BIOS. Same thing: no install.

I don't know what are the messages means and I don't know what I can do to solve this problem.

Anyone can help me please?

Thanks in advance !

:( :(

Hi Netlion

Yesterday I tried to post a possible answer but was unsuccesfull. I did some search on Micro$oft page on the errors you got:

1) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

2) DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

3) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

and the most answers were dealing with 2k and those errors. I posted some last time, but now I'm doing something else and have too liitle time to do it again. Try seraching them yourself and read some of them. What you problem makes me believe is that you have a incompatible driver with XP. It looks like an Input /Output problem (Printer, camaras, USB pheripericals like scaners, keyboard etc.)

When you startup the installer from within 98, there is a option to check for incompatabilties, run it and see what it gives you. If nothing go ahead with the instalation, if you get the same errors start it from the CD (Clean install, change BIOS to Startup from CD). If still nothing, you will have to unplug everything everything and after installation plug them one by one until you find the one that gives you a blue screen. With some luck maybe everything goes alright. Then there are the aplications, install one by one and rebout after each installation. If it is an aplication it is for sure the antivirus.

Hope I gived you some ideas, good luck.

Cheers,

El_Matador

One thing MS had in Technet was some Radeon cards could cause this.

Try installing XP, on the final reboot after installing, hit F8 and pick Safe Mode. If that boots, install the drivers for your Video card, m/b drivers and reboot into regular mode.

If that doesn't work, try pulling out all cards except the video and try again. Sounds like a hardware problem (unless you can try another XP cd to be sure it is not gone bad (doubtful).

Also, try other memory as MS suggests. If there is built in sound, nic, modem, disable in BIOS and be sure Plug-n-play is turned ON.

Thanks to ipdave and El_Matador for the helps !!!

I'll try another install direct from CD.

The XP CD is good. I've tried install on another computer with success !

I've checked about incompatibilities too, and I got only one answer about video driver. I think it's not the main problem, because I've the new XP compatible driver to install when I can finish the XP install.

I think too this problem is about hardware, and I'll follow yours suggestions.

Thanks again !!!

:( :D

Very good information guys!;)

One thing to keep in mind.XP will work best as a clean install.That means use it is as the only O/S.Backup all data to cd that you want to save.It (clean install)can save many headaches later on.;)

I´ve had the same problem some weeks ago and the error was caused by a bad cd-rom, seems that the drive was reading the disc but it was corrupting the files, when I changed the drive the installation worked fine.

Hi m8s !!!

I've tried all of yours sugestions, but unsucessfully.

Thanks all of you about the sugestions, but I've installed Win XP successfull only when I decrease the FSB main clock from 133 Mhz to 100 Mhz and install it from boot CD. I don't know why.

Now I've another problem:

When I increase the FSB main clock to 133 Mhz (normal to Athlon XP 1600), the Win Xp can't boot, and I got again the one of the same message errors: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

If I came back the FSB main clock to 100 Mhz, work very well.

I'm confused !!!

If some of you knows what's happenning, please tell me.

Thanks again all of you !!!

hmmmm, is there a jumper you need to set on your mobo for the 133MHz? Only a few mobos on the market now that do not need you to switch the jumper on the mobo (as motherboards come default set to 100MHz & you must switch the jumper to 133 position).
Normally called the JCK1 CPU Host Clock Select jumper. Have a look at your motherboard manual for this.
Only reason I can think of why your PC wont' boot properly *unless something else totally wrong in your bios.

PS
if this does end up being the case, you will more than likely have to format your HDD again & re-install windows (so it has the proper drivers setup for 133MHz).

Hi shadoe

shadoe_phantom said:
hmmmm, is there a jumper you need to set on your mobo for the 133MHz? Only a few mobos on the market now that do not need you to switch the jumper on the mobo (as motherboards come default set to 100MHz & you must switch the jumper to 133 position).
Normally called the JCK1 CPU Host Clock Select jumper. Have a look at your motherboard manual for this.
Only reason I can think of why your PC wont' boot properly *unless something else totally wrong in your bios.

PS
if this does end up being the case, you will more than likely have to format your HDD again & re-install windows (so it has the proper drivers setup for 133MHz).
On board have only one jumper to Clear CMOS Memory.

The changes from 133 to 100 are made in BIOS setup.

I agree with you about something totally wrong in BIOS, but I have flashed it with the new version from June, 20, 2002.

Can you explain me about proper drivers setup for 133 Mhz. If you increase the clock, WinXp needs another set of drivers ?

Thank you for the suggestions !!!

Hi m8s !!!

:D

Now I can run Windows XP at 133/133 mhz !!!

I've solved this problem with last BIOS upgrade from 08-22-2002.

Thanks all mates for the helps !!!

:cool: :D :cool: :D

i need some help today guys! basically i was upgrading from 98 to xp and everything went nutz, so now i need to download the rescue disks where would i find them as i have searched and found nothing!! please eme on vickyweedall@yahoo.co.uk and yes it is my email address!!!

@ tommymordecai

I think it's not safe you put a direct link of your email adress.
All the people who watch this forum got your email.

Only registred users give access to your profile.