Windows Networking Problem

Blackcaese

I have a 5 computer network 2 of them are running Win98 OS the other 3 are Win2000. I use a 4 port Lynksis router for PC's 1,2,3 and PC's 4,5 are uplinked from the router to a Hub.
PC 1 = 2000
PC 2 = 98
PC 3 = 98
PC 4 = 2000
PC 5 = 2000

PC 1
When viewing other PC's in the Netwok Places it can view all the PC's.
when entering PC 4 and PC 5 it also does that well. The problem starts whe I try to share files. It always fails. After failing I can't enter the PC anymore sometimes I lose my internet connection. I have restart my PC to be enable me to enter PC 4 and PC 5. I cannot enter any of the win98 computers.

PC 4 responds the same, but never loses internet connection

PC 5 responds the same, but never loses internet connection

PC 2 and PC 3 cannot access or view other PC's on the network but I'm not too concerned with them because they will soon be upgraded to win2000, then they will be in the same predicament as PC 4 and PC 5.

I noticed on PC 1 when I right clicked on Network Neighborhood->Properties double clicked on Local Area Network->Properties and there was a General Tab and a sharing tab

PC 4 and PC 5 when I did the same thing I noticed just a General Tab no Sharing Tab?

Could this be cause of my file sharing problems

NOTE: All Win2000 PC's can see each other in Winexplorer and all Win2000 PC's get a reply when I Ping each one.

Just the file sharing problem.

Does anyone have the answer

Blackcaese said:
I noticed on PC 1 when I right clicked on Network Neighborhood->Properties double clicked on Local Area Network->Properties and there was a General Tab and a sharing tab

PC 4 and PC 5 when I did the same thing I noticed just a General Tab no Sharing Tab?
This could be related to the rights of the user, check if the account you´re using to log in pc 4 and 5 has administrative rights

What kind of HUB are you using? are all of your nics at the same speed? I´ve had some cases where the network cards where the problem because they weren´t at the same speed.