windows ME

jane barton

HI
can anyone help me
i have windows ME on system and have just had to have this formatted
but cannot get sound on system ( do not have disk )
also cannot find drivers in windows up date

can any one help
i have ECS motherboard in system :confused:

jane barton

jane barton

scarecrow said:
If its an onboard soundcard, you can use the drivers provided by the mobo vendor.
I know this sound daft but where would i find mobo vendor
i am completley new to this so any help would really be appreciated
thanks

jane barton said:
I know this sound daft but where would i find mobo vendor
i am completley new to this so any help would really be appreciated
thanks
You already know the vendor- it is ECS/ Elitegroup
If you plug your loudpeakers at a jack below the screen connector, then you have a PCI audiocard. If its plugged over the screen connector, then it's an onboard audiochip. In that second case you must a. get sure that the chip is enabled within BIOS, and b. find the exact mainboard model. If you open the left computer sidecover (looking from the front of it) you will see the mobo and the actual model stickered, stamped or imprinted somwhere in there.
Unscrewing and opening a side cover won't bite you, don't be afraid! :D

jane barton

scarecrow said:
Unscrewing and opening a side cover won't bite you, don't be afraid! :D
but don't touch anything inside, except you are a transvestite and not really female; :D

sorry, couldn't resist;
Greetings from
Duracell

It MAY announce the model during startup (but you have to be quick to read it, otherwise try (my personal favourite) Aida32 diagnostics - it's pretty good on identification - it MAY even name the sound chip.

Or Belarc Adviser

VIPER_1069 said:
@ scarecrow can she not use a normal standard driver to get sound if its onboard !?
There are several different onboard DSP chips- from Realtek, SiS, ALi, etc... a generic driver might or might not work, since IRQ addresses are not always the same and ME is a very dumb OS. Better use the mainboard driver in that case.

jane barton

VIPER_1069 said:
okis scarecrow it was just a thought :)
thanks for your reply
i am a complete novice at this so please bear with me

cannot get sound onto pc
have downloaded loads of driver material but not sure as what to look for
can u please help !!!! :eek: :eek:

Download AIDA32 http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php and it should dig out the information we need - primarily the name of the motherboard, which should be in the COMPUTER - SUMMARY section - it might also name the sound chip, but I'm not sure if that's dependent on it being active.

Image prepared to PNG using IrfanView - all we really need is the name of the motherboard, and the name of the multimedia or any information it gives for an unknown device.

Attachments