win98 dvd writer problem

Hi Folks

seems like it's been ages since i last posted here, I'm in trouble!!!!!

i was sorting a pc out for a mate who had a DVDRW drive fitted by someone else, win98se see's the drive and so does nero, but when you insert blank dvd media it reads it as audio cd with 1 audio.cda track. but when you put a normal dvd movie in it plays it fine. also starts to burn a normal cd and you get burn errors after the leadin has been done, it's a pioneer drive 106d (latest firmware installed region free) i think, is the drive broke? or is there something I'm missing in win98se? I have installed the aspi layer correctly as it was damaged.

hope someone can help me.

Cheers

flyby2001 out of here but not for long.:D

I do not think that any serious software developer is supporting MS-DOS with GUI anymore... oh sorry, I meant Windows 9X/ME.
Either upgrade to Windows 2000/XP/2003, or if you can't afford the price, there are one dozen of VERY easy to handle Linux distributions out there, none of them having any of the stupid Windows 9X limitations.

Something interferes with the reading, but it sees something, so it tends to default to seeing it as an audio CD - classic reaction to many problems and incompatibilities and disruptions to that ASPI layer or anything else in that path.

ASPI layer bugs or some other problem, I'd guess - not sure if 9x can suffer that same upper/lower filter problems, or if it has anything comparable,

If any packet writing program (DirectCD, InCD or similar drive letter access) was installed, uninstall it, especially if it is not the one that matches the program you are trying to use.

Difficult kind of screw-up to diagnose remotely.

thanks folks

cheers peps

I think i'll just tell him to stick xp on it, the pc's not that old ok spec for a starter 1.8xp but i think he's a little bit old skool and has only really used 98, i've tried to convince him he's off the planet but hey it take all kinds.

take it easy

flyby2001