Will you have a look at my processor?

A friend has taken off the stock Heatsink/fan from Intel. I'm going to add another. Do I need to clean off the blackish-stuff first (I'm not sure what that's called).

If so, how do I go about cleaning it, safely?

Attachments

Last edited:
Ceramic heatsink transfer compound . You can remove it very very carfully. when you fell that the surface is smooth then you can use a standard heatsink compound. I have done this when replacing fans on amd chips and they are still working.
when you have fineshed use a cpu monitor to test the temperature of your cpu whill you are using it.
Barrybear

Master

Gold Member
Nothing special to use.. i am not sure how you call it in the US.

We call it Tempo or Cleanex

Nothing to worry about... remove it by a non-alcoholic baby wipe, and leave it then 5-10 minutes to dry. You can try something like that before mounting back the fan, from my personal experience it works very well.

if yer ask yer stockist politely when purchasing a new fan/heatsink combo you can often get a tube/packet of "heat transfer compound" for nothing :) a good store/retailer will include it in the price too :)

Ok, so the answer is "yes" clean that off.

Use either: non-alcoholic baby wipe, or Tempo or Cleanex?

Come time to mount the new HSF, I need to apply heatsink transfer compount on that area first? (I've never done any of this before so correct me if I'm not getting it right -- I'm trying to build my first computer).

lots of sites

amd.com has a short video on removing etc. Better than pics I guess. A TINY bit like 1/2 gr rice of jell on the CPU and spread it paper thin like with a credit card. Big P4 maybe the whole thing as large, so more than 1/2 gr rice size.

dx

Wedge said:
Ok, so the answer is "yes" clean that off.

Use either: non-alcoholic baby wipe, or Tempo or Cleanex?
You will get a much better seating between heatsink and processor next time Wedge by cleaning it all off before applying the new compound. Besides, the old and new compound won't be completely compatible.

Personally I have used 99% isopropal alcohol and a few cotton swabs heaps of times without problems. It safely cuts the compound cleanly and evaporates without leaving a residue. Do NOT use Rubbing alcohol though, as it has a lubricant added.

Cleanex is too flimsy and makes too much lint. Tempo.... a paper towel???

Baby wipes are O.K. but beware..... in the U.S. most baby wipes have additives like lanolin or aloe vera which are lubricants. Many also have perfumes which are oily. A plain glycol based wipe (usu. labeled for sensitive skin) will do.

As for putting it all back on.... the AMD.com vid that ChiMusic mentioned is a perfect tut to review a few times before doing it yourself.

In the end, it's really easy to do. Just be patient and remember not to overdo the compound and you will be fine.

In my picture above, the used compound is on what is termed a "heat spreader", is that correct? The actual processor core is under the spreader, correct?

The reason I ask is because I am a bit confused. This board and processor were given to me by a friend. He says I need not apply thermal compound, and to just mount a heatsink, because the compound has been applied already. If the processor core is under the "spreader" and a compound is between the spreader and core, then what he is saying is true?

But do I still need to apply compound between the spreader and the heatsink?

Please enlighten me. I have never done this before.

You definitely should clean the old compound off the processor and put on the new (heat sink compound) before installing the CLEAN heatsink/fan. You can get the "Arctic silver 3 thermal compound" from Bestbuy or the cheaper one from Radio Shark. Both should work well.
Good luck,