Why does a Movie not work sometimes

Hi people I bought a creative Burner 8x DVD+- r/rw CD/rw/r and was woundering if it was a plextor when i bought it a creative rep was there and said it was but just woundered if there was a for shure way of telling any way back to my title I can burn a movie and play it in my dvd player and it plays just fine all the way through but if i play it in my brothers dvdplayer it plays about 15-20 mins then starts jerking and messing up it does this and once in a while it will play longer 30-40 mins and then does it again put it back in mine and it plays all the way through.

Since you did not give use the ID of the drive you have how can we tell if its a Plextor?
Second thing with the DVDs with your brothers drive try a different media -/+ or brand this could well fix his problem. (And burn within the rated speed of the media if your using a hacked firmware just to be on the safe side)

sorry but i am traveling and using my laptop so i couldnt look to see what model it was after buying the drive and installing it the operation of the drive seemed like plextor quality when the drive opens and closes it seems to do this really smoothly and when it runs it sounds really smooth no vibration. on the movie subject i was using memorex dvd-r media burning at 4x which is what the media is rated for i noticed you mentioned using + r media does this work better in some dvd players i have 2 brothers and they have the same brand dvd player its a samsung not shure what the model # they cost 119.00 us and are about 7-10 months old they play VCD`s awsome. they both do exactly the same thing. iwas just wondering if they had a slower processor or somthing like that that couldnt keep up when it gets closer to the outside of the dvd. thanks Gil

Last edited:
The best thing to do if to find out which units they both have and check if their drives are compatible with the formats you are or can use with your burner (7 mouths old they should be).
Ah its good to see your burning within the media rated burning speed the only other thing is to try and use good quality media most ritek dye based disc are fine for this or prodiscS03 based dye disc...But once again I would now check 1st the compatibility of your brothers units.
On a last note when you have time or get home check the homepage for your burner to see if theres a firmware update which might correct writing issues..
Good luck and have a nice day.

PS:Nero tool FREEWARE which you can download from www.nero.com can ID you Drive this will give a correct ID of you burner (in most cases) and we can go from there to see if youi do have a Plextor drive dressed down. ;)

I own an external 8X DVD-R+/- Plextor and I had this sort of problem before. The problem is that some 4X disc is being read by Plextor as 8X. Therefore when you burn using the maximum setting, it will burn it at 8X. In order to fix this you will have to manually choose 4X when burning with Nero as the burning speed.
BTW..I also bought a "Smart Buy" DVD-R+ disk and my Plextor will only see this as 4X.

The Creative DVD±RW DUAL 8X burner is an overpriced+slightly modded Pioneer DVD-R 107D (Pioneer mechanism, NEC controller)- few things in common with the Plextor which is based on a NEC mechanism+controller. Memorex True 8X is also based on the Pioneer drive, and comes at a similar price and better support (compared to Creative's nonexistent one).
Personally I would buy Creative hardware only if everything else on earth got banned.

Last edited: