Why did companies stop making CD-R drives at 52X

In the past, as soon as you bought the fastest burner, another company would release a faster burner. But since companies maxed out at 52X, they stopped. Why???

I would say 52 speed is near the optium + media to burn it on + most manufacturers are now into DVD burners just my opinion mind

a) They haven't you can get a 54X drive.
b) It is because if the discs can't spin any faster without breaking.

Which means to go faster you either need to create new discs that can withstand the forces or use multiple lasers like in the kenwood 72X CDRom drive.

New discs; may as well just go with DVD or Blu-Ray.
Multiple lasers; there is a reason kenwood don't sell 72X CDRoms anymore.

Oh yeah, forgot one option... pack the data tighter so that you can fit more without the need to spin the discs any faster... Hang on, they already got that, it is called DVD.

There is also Sony's DDCD's and both Plextor and Sanyo have technology to fit more data onto a regular CDR.

Laz

And just to add...

Maxell - Hitachi have just announced a new format of DVD they have been testing that uses multi layer technology that will take upto 200 times the amount of data the current DVD's do! :eek:

They expect this to be launched by 2007.

oddly enough i posted an article in the console games section about a new sony hand held games console http://cdrbase.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29446

that uses the new sony optical disks ..

The foundation of this new platform is Universal Media Disc (UMD), which comprises of a 60mm optical disc (1.8 GB) in a cartridge, developed by the Sony Group, utilizing its latest disc technologies. Compared to the out-dated mask ROM cartridge, optical disc has huge advantages such as shorter turn around time for manufacturing, larger data capacity and lower media costs. The latest copy-protection technology will be applied to offer content developers and publishers a safe and copy-protected environment.
:)

Add to all that Plextor's new "Gigarec" technology, which sounds yummy- cannot tell if it's working too, as I don't have a Plex Premium.

Yeah it sounds like Plextor finally got it right!That drive does Safedisc2,even latest versions without any tricks.Sounds like Gigarec might be a problem for many readers other than the Plex,but it is in it's infacy.Sounds like Plex is back on top with this new drive.;)

i had a 54 x cd but had to get rid of it , i admit that i shouldnt have bought a cheapo brand but i swear the cds were nearly taking off in the drive and im sure it couldnt have been good for the cd drives health , made a hell of a noise aswell

chickers said:
i had a 54 x cd but had to get rid of it , i admit that i shouldnt have bought a cheapo brand but i swear the cds were nearly taking off in the drive and im sure it couldnt have been good for the cd drives health , made a hell of a noise aswell
Good for you chickers hope your current one is fine..
Back to your last one the noise might of been coming from the Turbos...
:D :D I must say I have burnt @52x using Lite-ons to read and write max speeds and did not hear a thing... these drives were date June 2003..and using Nero one on XP the other ME....Heck no not my set ups... :D