Which is best capture format ?

Is it best to capture in .avi format then render as dvd mpeg or do direct dvd mpeg .. space ain't issue if .avi is better way to go in quality .. source is tape video camera

thx in advance

Depends what you mean by AVI. Capturing to a lossless AVI (huffyuv, VLBE, etc.), then converting to MPEG2 should give you better quality if you use say CCE to do the mpeg2 conversion and do a multipass VBR encode. I mean try doing multipass on the fly. Also means it is possible to do some filtering to remove noise, etc. if needed.

If space and time really is not a problem then you could capture multiple times and merge them. This helps to reduce analogue noise (at least in thoery).

Another question??

With my video capture device tells me to hook up the audio cable this way :

Connect the stereo mini-plug of the supplied audio adapter cable to the
audio-out jack on your sound card. Then connect a stereo audio cable
between the audio adapter and the audio-input jacks of your source device

it don't make sense to me .. as if I plug into the audio-out (speakers out) on sound card .. how the hell is the sound gonna go through sound card and out the speakers ? I plugged into the input of the soundcard .. but the sound is like HIGH volume .. I turned down the Line-in volume .. still sounds loud and when tv volume up it distorts ..anyone got any idea's?

Video Capture device is Belkin Hi-speed USB 2.0 DVD creator