Which IDE?

At present I have a Toshiba DVD Rom and a CDRW both on the Secondary IDE. The IBM hardrive is on the Primary IDE.

Is it ok to install a Pioneer 106 on the Primary IDE?

Its possible but I wouldnt do it.The best thing for the Pioneer is to be Master on IDE2 with nothing else on that cable.

But with you 4 devices I would go

IDE1 IBM <> Master/DVDROM <> Slave

IDE2 106 <> Master/CDRW <> Slave

(I find as a general rule of thumb put your burners opposite your drive & ROMs)

bode said:
Will I need to change anything in the BIOS? or will it re-configure itself :confused:
You should not need to do anything in you bios...Just watch the jumpers on the drives....

I'm fine with jumpers, I was just asking because my bios suddenly reported errors when I replaced the cdrw tonight.

No worries, thanks everyone. ;)

In the BIOS, Hard disks generally need to be set as AUTO, or detected using Detect drives and saved.

CD-ROM / DVD and Writers can normally be run as NONE or AUTO - if detected and saved, you may need to re-do if they are moved, as modes and settings may be incorrect.

Some people leave their IDE settings on full auto, but I find it can waste a second or 2, especially on unused ports - putting it into auto before moving drives around is a good idea though, as the autodetection gives you a rapid confirmation that all drives are accounted for.