Which font?

Another one I believe is similar is "Typographers Upright", though that seems impossible to find.

Walrod Initials is apparently a somewhat inferior copy, and may be findable.

Recently, a friend was searching for TTF fonts compatible with Macs. I discovered that my old copy of WordPerfect 2000 had nearly 50 megs of TTF fonts. That included all the fonts he thought he was going to have to buy from one of these online font scammers.

[Note: the average price for a commercial font from an online distributor seems to be around $45. Pricewatch shows the cost of an OEM copy of Corel Office 2000 to be $16. The newest versions of Corel Office -- I've tested v.11 -- do not have such extensive font libraries.]

The problem was how to transfer Windows fonts to Mac format. There's a free app that does the very thing:

Here's the info I sent him (the first bit is taken from somebody's site, but I can't find the address). He's verified that it all works.

Convert Win Fonts to Mac Fonts

I dont know alot about fonts, therefor I have copied this text from Ray Larabies Freefonts
at _http://highland.mit.edu/larabiefonts/

The text will tell you Macusers how to convert all the freefonts on my page to macformat. Apparently its not very hard. Just follow the 5 steps below. The TTF converter can be downloaded *-->HERE<--*

1. Download the Zip file to your desktop.
2. Then, using ZipIT, unzip the font and you'll get a list of files contained therein.
3. Find the font.ttf and expand it, again using Zip it. It will land on the desktop (if you so wish) as a TTF file.
4. With a copy of TTF converter, convert the TTF file to a suitcase by this process:
* The TTF Converter will throw up a screen than contains, in some cases, the name of the font in the bottom portion, highlighted.
* If not, you must click on "Customize Font" to name it (or else it will not show up on the pull-down menu), and save it.
* You then have to name the suitcase.
5. Place the suitcase in the fonts folder and voila!

TTConverter.hqx 32K
Mac users, don't despair! I'm sure you were thinking, great, how do I get to see this font? Well, I'm a Mac user too. I found the nifty utility that's above. It allows you to convert Windows True Type fonts into Mac TT fonts (or vice-versa). To use the converter (since I got it with no read me whatsoever), you need to first unzip the zip file. I know Stuffit does this, but it doesn't do it right; I recommend using Unzipit to do this, it does the job. After you unzip it, locate the font (it has a .TT or .TTF after the name) and simply drag it onto the TTConverter app. This will create a font suitcase, with the name of the font and something in parenthesis after it (I forgot exactly what, I deleted that part of the name), with the font inside. It's as easy as that. Remember to put the suitcase in the Fonts folder inside your System Folder. Have fun with it!

Last edited: