Which DVD burner

Im looking at getting either a Plextor PX-708A or a LiteOn LDW-440D. I like the plextor because I know they make good drives and it also writes at 8x DVD+R. On the other hand I love the way my liteon cd/rw can copy just about anything I put in it, so I figure the DVDRW would be the same. Any suggestion on either of these drives?

The Plextor will copy ANYTHING you throw at it.
An excellent review ir here http://w*w.cdfreaks.com/article/121
(replace the * with a W )
Does Safedisk Securom...the works.
I know Liteon are good for Protected back-ups, I have one myself, cd-r/rw, but the Plextor looks like the all in one nirvana I've been waiting for.
All for only £190.

Hope the review helps.

Nick ;)

The plex is too much money and the liteon thats out now is made by someone else. You might want to wait and see what comes out in the next month or two. Pioneer is comming out with an 8x that does both - & + and liteon is coming out with their own by xmas that will be 8x and daul too. Well lets all hope that they keep the low prices too. :cool: If you want one now you might want to look at OptoRite they seem to making a name for the self. Pricewatch (in the US) has them as cheap as $121. and free shipping. As of now it seems like its the programs that decode anything on the DVD's not the drive. So as far as that goes any dvd drive will decode any dvd with the right program. :cool: I have an A04, if I was to buy a new one I would buy a daul format one. Thats just my $.o2, good luck. :cool:
PX-708A = $221 LDW-401S = $108

Fruchtgummi

slippery said:
LOL - why buy a 8X burner when there isnt any 8X media to burn it on?
There is no need for 8x media mate ... The Plex Writer is able to burn 4x DVD+R at 8x speed ;) without any probs

greetz

Laz

Fruchtgummi said:
There is no need for 8x media mate ... The Plex Writer is able to burn 4x DVD+R at 8x speed ;) without any probs

greetz
Damn, maybe I should have bought a Plex instead of a Pioneer 106.

Does finished DVD still playback perfect on all players though?

It's true that you can burn 4X +R on the Plex at 8X- at your own risk, of course.
No complaints about my Sony DRU-500a at all (not tried any Safedisk 2.9 yet), I'm just a little angered when I consider I paid for that 400 euros just SIX months ago... :rolleyes:

Fruchtgummi said:

greetz
I'd like to see other companys 8x burners before I would spend that much money on the plex. If you remember the liteon LTR -24102b would burn any media at 24x with out a problem!!! :cool: For all we know that might be the norm of 8x burners. :cool:

Personally I don't think £189 is a lot for what is essentially "new technology".
I paid around that for my 104 when it 1st came out, the Plex was £200 less than a week ago, so already an £11 drop.Maybe down to £150 in a month????
And that's for a Retail boxed jobbie...the A06 still goes for about £145 @ Bigpockets
I could lose my 104, my Liteon 24102b and my Pioneer 114 and just keep the Plex and my trusty old Plextor 40x scsi reader...BARGAIN.

Does finished DVD still playback perfect on all players though?

According to the review they played perfectly on various standalones..so it looks promising.

Regards

Nik

Fruchtgummi

I´ve read something in "CT magazine" about that plex and it seems that burning 4x speed media at 8x works without any probs ...
btw. that means about 8 mins for a 4.5gb disc ;) impressive isn´t it ?

greetz
fruchtgummi

Fruchtgummi said:
I´ve read something in "CT magazine" about that plex and it seems that burning 4x speed media at 8x works without any probs ...
btw. that means about 8 mins for a 4.5gb disc ;) impressive isn´t it ?

greetz
fruchtgummi
Not to me when they say its the media not the drive. :cool: What I've been reading is 4x media is capable of burn at 8x.