Which Dual Layer Drive To Buy?

Let me see if I got this right. The only way a DL BU can work (on most player) is if its DVD-ROM book type? At least thats what I've been reading and as of now the only drive that can do this is the pioneer 108?
So do I have this right?

You can add the BenQ 822A 1600,1620,and Liteon 832S/Sony 700A too.Liteon/Sony utility is somewhere.NEC should support bitsetting too.BenQ ships with the bitsetting utility.Not sure on other writers.

Seems bitsetting DVDR+DL is very important.

Thanks woody. Boy they have to update the reviews cause the only one I found so far was the new CdrInfo review on the 108 that could do it with out a problem.

The Pioneer 108 auto bitsets the book type to DVD-ROM on DL burns, no need for hacked firmware or programs or anything, its built in. I have burnt a few DL already (just testing) and they all play in all the DVD Players I can find and all my DVD readers and burners I have.

The 108 burns the Verbatin 2.4x DL media at 4x (thats what I've been using) as well with the latest official firmware.

There is also hacked firmware for the 108 that allows up to 16x for all 4x media. Great results with genuine Ritek G04 & G05 media.

Ahh...finally a DL report.Seems Pioneer got it right. ;) Chickenman,did you use Nero to burn with?Early DL burning reports showed some problems at the layer break.

No, didnt use Nero, simply used DVD Decrypter latest ver to read an ISO image and then burn it back. That overcomes Nero's layer brake problem and is easier to use anyway. I've yet to author a DVD9 from my own encodes but see no problem with using Nero as there will be no pre-existing layer brake in the image.

Scooterpig

woody said:
Ahh...finally a DL report.Seems Pioneer got it right. ;) Chickenman,did you use Nero to burn with?Early DL burning reports showed some problems at the layer break.
I think I read that the latest version of Nero being 6.3.1.20 was the fixed version for DL's.

HiBob

I'm interested in getting a DL (dual layer) DVD burner, can you guys explain to me what the problems are that I have to look out for (what you guys were talking about here)....
what's bitsetting ?
why are there image breaks?
any links for noobs to read up on this?

thanks in advance...

It appears its almost essential to have the Book type of the burnt DVD+R DL disc set to DVD-ROM rather than the medias default of DVD+R DL as almost no DVD Player would recognise it with it as DVD+R DL. The Pioneer 108 has this built in the firmware, with the LiteOn/Sony you have to use external programs or hacked firmware to achieve that. I'd also suggest a 4x DL burner as those at 2.4x just take for ever to burn a disk.

Every DL dvd has a small break as the DVD Player has to do a re-focus as they change from the first layer to the second layer. On some players this can result in a slight pause (read that statement off ALL DL dvd's or DVD9's), the IFO file can pre-warn the Player where this break is to allow for extra buffering to try and eliminate this slight pause. Until the burning software matures a bit, the burnt DVDR may not have the Layer brake at the identical spot as the original, thus may cause playback problems. I have not tested the latest Nero to confirm if they have got it right or not yet, I know DVD Decrypter has it right.

dx

Hey Chookman (and everyone else for that matter)... what's your opinion of this new Pioneer 4x DL burner? Is this the same (DVR-108) that your speaking about?! I've seen it for as little as $86.00 USD... which seems like a great deal. It will be replacing my Pioneer 106. Seems like this will last a little longer considering that the 16x SL and 4x DL media won't be common until next year. ;)

Yep, its the DVR-108 I have. A couple of weeks back I bought one for a friend and it was equiv to US$100, but they have been dropping in price almost weekly here, so $86 sounds good. I replaced my 107 with the 108. I looks and feels the same as the 105/107's that I've had, all my burning software see's it fine, though I had to modify the latest pxengine RNM files to get it burn at specidies speeds. The patched firmware makes it region free, 12x ripping (but I always use a DVDROM anyway) and allows up to 16x burning on 4x media. I would not recommend that though, but I do push my 4x Riteks to 6x with no problems.

The 16x is a bit of a wank though, it starts at 8x burning for a while, then 12x up to 4.0 gb and 16x from 4.0 to 4.37gb, which is the last place you really want high speed burning, so just stick to 12x as max.

The 4x DL burning is great and official firmware will burn many 2.4x media at 4x if you wish. Verbatim is one of them. Also as I said, the bitsetting of DVD+R DL media is automatically set to DVD-ROM so no farting around with patches, software, etc.