What makes CDRSOFT such a civil board -- Is it the Europeans?

Okay, this might sound a little whacky, so let me preface it by saying that these forums have been the most fun I've had on the internet in over a year. People are informed, friendly, courteous and funny. There's a real sense of playful experimentation in discussion of programs. Even the mods are fine folks, every-one.

What got me thinking about the virtues of CDRSOFT was my recent visits back to a few of the American forums I used to haunt. I spent a lot of time over the last two years at anandtech's forums, but I found that they've gotten increasingly unpleasant: people are often rude, posturing pr!cks who slag each other off with abandon. A quick review of the infamous "general hardware" forum quickly turns up scads of irritating, conformist braggarts. Another, even worse example would be to view the average comment thread at firingsquad.com and watch the vicious p!ssing match between anonymous posters.

It might just be me, but I sense that things started getting bad in American-based forums around the time of the Lewinsky-impeachment fiasco, and then they got worse with the advent of the new Administration. There was a very brief period of solidarity and civility immediately after 9/11, but things have degenerated to a new naidir with the Market's collapse and the ongoing propaganda war against terrorism (which seems to be linked symbiotically with the economic decay). What I mean is that if you look at a lot of those posters, it's not uncommon to find somebody who'd walk over their mothers for a fifty dollar Amazon gift certificate as easily as they'd frag you in Counterstrike.

So my new hypothesis is that it's the governing presence of educated Europeans that keep the discursive tone up so high in these forums. I'm not saying that all Americans are raging idiots (I'm 'merican and I'm not raging at least -- and, anyway, RastaBT is from Wisconsin, right?), but this board seems to attract a better, saner class of U.S.'ers. That's what I think.

Then again, I haven't been keeping up with my medication. Lithium is a very fickle friend.:p

C'mon now. That's what makes us Americans such fun. And it's why we are so well loved around the world. ;) Hey, at least were not .:D

edited by woody

Hi catachresis,

I don't think it is only because of the Europeans. If you look carefully you have People of all "4 Corners" of the world. I think it is more because of the Mods, they learned how to moderate. I used to visit a Spanish Forum (Europeans!!!!) where the Mods were the ones that started the insulting. In this forum when a Mod jumps in, is in a peacefull way and the members learn to respect this. There is compression on this place and that's what makes this place a great one compared to others.

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: Not forgetting the great community (members) of this place :D

Hmm...Interesting post, Catcharesis!

The thing that worries me is that it might start some heated debate.

I can say this.This forum was created to be a friendly multinational forum,where members meet new friends, and help each other.It does not matter what part of the globe someone is from here.

There are far too many forums where Mods/admin's egos cause problems.Members fight with each other over anything.I can't really say why that is.Maybe because infighting is allowed.We won't tolerate it here.It's fine to disagree,but we have to act like adults.

There is enough stress in our everyday lives.We all need a place to relax,and get help for our problems.This place is meant to be "home away from home".

Everybody just needs to read the forum rules to know what we expect.Very easy,just respect each other,and opinions.

I'm glad you notice a difference in this forum.I can't say enough about the members, and the forum team!Very nice place to be.:)

[][][][][][] [][][][][][] [][][][][][] [][][][][][] [][][][][][][]
[][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][]
[][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][]
[][][][][][] [][][][] [][][][][][] [][] [][][][]
[][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][]
[][] [][] [][] [][] [][] [][]
[][] [][][][][][] [][] [][] [][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][]

As Woody has said, we are a very multinational group here, like 2 of the Admin are Australians, one Canadian and the other European.

Any well run business or forum is "lead by example" If the Managers or Admin/Mods/Goldies are "not nice" then the business or forum will be "not nice" regardless of where it is.

We attempt to lead by example here.

Great interaction

It sure seems that everyone here is NOT a know it all with COMPLEXES to act like that (complexes as really not knowing so being a smart ass). It is questions/answers from great to stupid but that is what everyone's situation IS. Like the TV ad that has brown bags over everyone's head (social ad). When they take them off they see others are "DIFFERENT" and freak out.

The only problem that always occurs is direct links.

Maybe a standard notation on/in the "POST" menu will eliminate that, seen while writing.

The biggest reason for the difference of this forum is manners and courtesy.
No matter what race, creed or culture you are, there is no excuse for not using these.
The admins and mods have these qualities and enforce them.
Long may it continue!

dx

Re: The place to be

joripe said:
As for Americans well dxkim is American & joined the Forum about the same time as me >> We are "Friends" >> we have never met, we most likely never will, come from different Continents never mind countries but because of this place we are friends & that is what I & many like me love.

Well I have had my say sorry Iif I ranted on a bit but I just love this place.

:cool:
Yep, I'm a Yank! :D
I couldn't agree more than with what has been said by Joripe, Woody, ChickenMan, etc. This IS the best place because the Mods and Admins work hard to keep it civil and friendly. We work in the backround and make this Forum all that it can be...and more.

And of course, there are tons of great members (Junior, Senior, Gold) that contribute their knowledge, expertise, and files. Nationality, does not matter. It's all such a small world now and the Net makes brothers of us all.

This place is great because we all make it that way!

The effect of anonymous posting can sometimes be seen in the comments of the main site - anon posting has it's uses but has even more abuses.

The other "points of order", tend to be (as well as direct links) :-
Double posting, or reposting already covered topics (Did that once, realised it, and deleted it)
Asking thinks already covered - often resulting in a rather sharp admonition to use SEARCH.

A link to the topic could be given, but "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish ....."

Cruel to be kind?

And at least we don't get into spaellin/ grammar criticization ... and I'll throw this damn keyboard through the window if it doesn't stop making mistakes!

Last edited:
well for my part I will drink to everything Joripe has said
(come to think of it I will drink to anything):D :D :D btw are we in England not european?

I can feel the love. When I got up this morning, I feared that the original post might have been taken as inflammatory. But instead, as usual, lots of mods and other folks have chimed-in with really pleasant yet insigtful comments that just made me feel good to be connected with this group of people. Thanks!

Hey Rugrat: as to your question -- Ask Tony Blair whether he's American or not (--certainly not European, is he?;p ).

LOL, Tony Blair heheehehe.

All are doing a great job here except for zver/joripe/bertieg/Master/shadoe_phantom (hey that's me lol) <== these guys are really ugly (except for me) & real trouble makers & you should watch out for them =) lol

Ya I think we keep it friendly 'cause we all tend to have a good sense of humour (notice I spell it a-la-canadian style). Myself being originally from north america, but in asia now. Perhaps I will mellow out more next year when I am in europe (*_^).

Big applause to everyone (even the ugly trouble makers), especially the non-admins/mods/goldies, 'cause it is everyone else that keeps coming back for more info & help & contributions.
Difference from this forum compared to most others:

We know we are here 'cause of the people, not the other way around. Attitudes (even those like mine) are only allowed to go so far, otherwise we become little kiddies flaming each other like many competitive gamers/lamers. lol

errrrr, I've been talking too much like zver hahaha, ok gotta fly!

hummmmmmmm if you ask my opinion here on this it would be that this forum has one simple rule here that age/sex/religion/ethics/gender/color/nationality do not matter here we are simply here to help and thats all that matters !!! :D

people come from far and wide and we do our utmost to endevour to help one and all !!:D

no problem to big no problem to small !!

.... HEY that was almost poetry lol!! ahem :( lol )

we are all here for each other !!:D

and thats what makes this forum what it is and makes it work !!:D

mosquito said:
Sorry Guys !!!!! ............

i try to write "PEACE" with those "[ & ]" buttons .....

But it doesn't work !!! :) :) :) "My mistake" ;)
mosquito

I stared at all those lines for 20 minutes waiting for an image to appear
:D

i found out what it means by opening the quote page, because when html cannot display multiple ordinary spaces in a row, but in the text input field it looks correct
FortiTude

N.B.

Staff member
HeHe ..
just got the internet working here, at the LAN party, and I do have to add some things :)
First of all: it was rather woodys idea then mine to open this forum :)
Maybe I got the idea, okay but woody pushed my thoughts in the right direction :)
For me personally there is no place for raceism or any other senseless "I hate ehm all" feeling. That is sure one reason why I am that often connected to the web, talking to people around the whole world ...
Here we do not care about such stuff, and it is BEST this way ...
Yeah, and Woody and the other members/mods did a very fine job ...
I cannot say thanks enough for what they did. Many people did spend a lot of time to bring together all the things you see here on the forum :)
It is hard to keep the level, but yeah, with our team and the members here I think it is possible, and hopefully we are able to keep the level ... :)
There are already enough flaming places around the web ...

Even "high" quality forums, like the one from CDFReaks, mods are flaming around ...
This won´t happen to this forum, I am sure about this ...

So then ..
Happy posting :)