What Laptop to buy?

Anyone out there bought one of the multivision range? Some of there systems seem a bit to good to be true. DVD burner and ATI mobility 9600 ect. all for about the £999 mark.

at the end of the month iam hoping to buy a laptop around this price and want to know whats best on my budget.

iam looking for as close as i can get to a desktop replacement.

thanks.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dont but a Sony New range.. mind you you need more then £999 for Sony.. the have a heat problem these new ones.
BenQ or Asus lap top/ notebooks are very good for your money...
What one/ones you have in mind?
Added note.

This Acer ASPIRE1315LM unit is a good laptop AMD chipset with dvdr- burner.. shop around you should pick it up cheaper.. uk site ]Acer ASPIRE1315LM

Hey Rasta, ordinarily I'm with ya 100%, but the cheap acer laptops we sold to clients mid-year last year were cheap and nasty indeed. Maybe the higher grader Acers are better.

I like my Compaq, though it's about two years old and already becoming antique. Given what they're saying about HP/CQ these days, I'm not sure if the brand is worth recommending. When my Compaq had a bad mainboard initially, the replacement and support was free and swift. Would it be so now? I could not say.

Thanks, this is the model iam thinking of going for,
when i look around at better branded systems there not nearly as high spec as the multi vision range for price anyway.
what do you think of the spec for the money ? heat dont bother me as long as it dont fry !!! :(

MULTIVISION Arcus 5070

Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 2.8GHz CPU
512MB PC2100 SO DIMM
60GB 4,200 Hard Drive
15inch SXGA+ TFT Colour Display (1400x1050)
Integrated Stereo Speakers
64MB ATI M10 Radeon 9600 Mobile Graphics
DVD Burner / CD-RW / DVD Combo Drive
Microsoft Wndows XP Home
56K Modem
10/100 LAN FireWire
PCMCIA Slot
2x USB 2.0
TV-Out
Parallel Port
PS2 Port
9 Cell Battery
Dimensions: 329 x 288 x40mm
Weight: 3.1kg
Lead time: 2.5 Weeks
1 Year UK Collect and Return

£999.00 (excl. VAT) £1173.83 (incl. VAT)

Attachments

Last edited:
If you want to use MS-windows on your laptop then Toshiba is as good (...and expensive) as you can get- full period.
If you want to use Linux then things are different, I'd urge you to look at the Fujitsu-Siemens laptops which support Linux semi-officially (that is no stupid winmodem, network or display driver problems).

There is no denying that all machines mentioned are probably better build quality ect. But on spec alone the multivision seem's (to me) to be a better buy for what i want to use it for, being the odd game and adding a WI-FI card and roaming round the house on the net.

The reason i ask is i have just been laid of my work after coming out of hospital (the ba*ta#ds) and with a little redundancy money this is what i would like to put it to. Yeah i play with linux suse 8.2 a bit but its not a big deal if some drivers dont work as main computer will let me play all day with no probs on linux.

thanks for the info.

If you are a Central Europe resident and want explicitly to stay within the 1.000 pounds budget (plus--minus a few) you might consider that one:
http://web.vobis.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/de/-/EUR/DisplayProductInformation-Short;sid=vzK6915ZqcK69GHR3MJjrjg9nQjOd-O5SCw=?ProductID=AnXZWWZlPYMAAAD3f7EmlPKK&xyz=n
Vobis is a german company with some history, and resides in Aachen (very close to the Dutch border). They make cheap and good notebooks.
I guess you are a Brit, since you refer to pounds, right? You can get that one with just a small postal charge.

Last edited:
Just got this one, Targa Vissionary X-10 UK (X-11 Germany) £999 inclusive.
Got it from Lidl of all places.

Mobile AMD® Athlon® XP-M 2500+
512MB PC3200 DDR
60GB 4,200 Hard Drive
15.1" XGA TFT
Integrated Stereo Speakers
ATI Radeon 9600 Motability 64MB DDR
DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combo Drive
56K Modem RJ-11
10/100 LAN RJ-45
FireWire (IEEE 1394)
PCMCIA II Slot
Wireless LAN PC-Card adaptor
Compact flash PC-Card adaptor
3 X USB 2.0
1 x S-Video Out
Parallel Port
PS2 Port
Speaker-Out
Mic-In
1 x 15 pin externer Monitor
4-1 Card reader
32MB usb flash memory
SPDIF
100-V- to 240-V-ac-adapter (120 Watt)with autom. power regulation, intelligent li-ion-battery, operation time up to 2 hrs
3.6 Kg
345 x 48 x 285 mm
3 Year UK Collect and Return
Microsoft Wndows XP Home
Microsoft Works 2003
Pinnacle Studio

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?doit=done&urltext=http://www.targa.de/cms/targa_1_601.php&lp=de_en

http://www.targa.de/cms/targa_1_601.php

That system seem a very good buy tommy, that would be worth thinking about.
for me at the moment its between the multivision and the one you have. based on spec and price there very good buy's. :p

Bought My laptop

Hey guys i bought a laptop a few days ago and overall iam very happy with it.
i decided to go for the TOSHIBA SATELLITE P10-304, After seeing some of the better spec cheap models i was let down by the build quality so decided to buy the toshiba as it seemed much better build quality. The other's was plastic and very very hot! sticky palms after 2 mins in the shop playing!

So what do you all think of my purchase? (dont be to harsh as i had a budget remember) :( :(

I have a Toshi Satellite (1800 series) myself for 20 months, and it works brilliantly, never ever the slightest problem. Unfortunately some parts of it (eg modem) do not have the slightest cahnce to ever work with Linux, so I'm forced to use XP on it (2000 also had annoying driver problems).