What Is The Better Conversion? Ntsc 29.97 Or Ntsc 23.976?

Blackcaese

1. Which conversion is better for standalone DVD players?
DVD NTSC @ 29.97fps or SVCD NTSC film @ 23.976fps

My original files are SVCD PAL @ 25fps

2. I use TMPGEnc to do my conversion, must I use DVDAVI to create a .d2v file or can I convert just using my video file demxed from TMPGEnc.

If I do have to use the .d2v file, WHY!!

Blackcaese

I was told that if you go from SVCD PAL @ 25fps to DVD NTSC @ 29.97fps you lose quality. Is that true :confused:

You won't lose quality if you go from SVCD PAL @ 25fps to SVCD NTSC @ 23.976 :confused:

That's not true- you will definitely lose "some" quality in all conversions, no matter which.
Now- if it's important loss or not, it's up to you to judge...

Yep even going from PAL to PAL you will loose quality, in this case as well as the loss from re-encoding you also have the loss of vertical resolution, also some say PAL colours look better.

For DVD it is always 29.97fps with NTSC, however in this case that would be 23.976fps with a 3:2 pulldown. Reason for picking 23.976fps is that you can simply slow the framerate from 25fps to 23.976fps, then change the audio to match. I say this though with the assumption that the source is progressive and from a film source. Film to PAL transfers usually simply involve the speed up from 24fps to 25fps.

If your source is interlaced then you should probably convert to 29.976fps interlaced, this however is a little more complicated.