What DVD Player to buy?? (uk)

hi guys

i am wanting to buy a dvd player, wanting some suggestions from members plz - budget is upto 200 pounds. Looking for a good quality make. i.e sony, jvc etc etc
- has to play vcds, rwcds, recordable cds and mp3s.

- must be multiregionable - pref by remote but would consider it the hardware modification way.

- and if possible - remove macrovision, but no too bothered about that.

look forward to your replies

thanks
dave

The first thing you should do is not think that a good name equals a good player.
A lot of the so called cheaper brands have much better compatability and picture quality than their more expensive cousins.
U can get an Apex from www.dabs.com for £57 which with a little tweaking will play everything.
Also some of the £100 daewoos are excellent and many of my erm......... friends ;) have those! :)

Yeah, you're right daveml, forget the big names.
I've got a cheap Logix 3000 (I think) that I think is made by LG and it plays anything I put in it. I've had it with the big names, the gear doesn't last any longer and if you do want it repaired it costs a fortune.

I bought 2 apex 1500's 2 years ago. No probs, plus they play every format even picture cd's. I got them both for $69 each.

daveml and Geoff, great of you to mention this. I received an APEX DVD player for christmas from my dad. It cost only $50 dollars and he was a little concerned that it might not produce good quality, but for that price he was willing to take a chance. Well, I can tell you that it has great playback quality, even using the regular RCA video/audio jacks (my tv doesn't have an S-video connector).

Not only does it play DVDs well, it supports audio CDs, CD-R, CD-RW, mp3, jpeg, and Kodac picture cds. Dolby digital and DTS support as well.

Topping it off is its size. It's very small and sleek with its silver case. It is a compact 10'' x 11'' x 2.5'' and looks cool as hell. He bought it at Wal-Mart.

I've got mine connected scart to phono into the Surround Sound amplifier and from then on to the TV and the playback sound is awesome and the picture superb.

Glad you're another satisfied customer Wedge.