what causes window explorer to be real slow?

i have a computer network at home, and in the last couple of days, it's been taking a very long time to move files between computers, specifically from/to 1 specific computer; what causes that? that has happened sporadically before but it went away and i never did know how to fix it or know what was going on with it.

Thanks.

is the other computer running at a diffrent speed becauce i had a simmular problem with my computer doing this one computer running at 10Mb and the other running at 100Mb running thro a switching hub but it took to long to switch some times causing windows Explorer to crash

well, i do defrag them often; the odd thing is that if it's only slow if it's moving from/to this computer an that computer; if it's from/to other computers (i have 4 computers at home) then it's not slow; and this only happens occassionaly, not all the time;
aobut ryan's question about speed, i have no idea; this computer isa faster cpu yes, but i dont run them at diff. speeds ('cause i dont know how lol)

...and check the lan drivers. i had that experience not too long ago with CNet 10/100 equipped boxes (one was an XP, tehe other a 98SE).
it turned out to be an older driver on the 98 box. after installing newer drivers, the problem became history.

hmm, i think u guys got warmer yeah; how do i check if there's ip conflict or not? what about lan driver? i dont know how to check that; i have aa tools n a few other tools but not sure how to maximize their potential yet :) please advise on what to do .

oh, i think it kinda started around the time i installed norton system works on these computers , hmmm, but i still dont know how to find the problem tho

Last edited:
if it were an ip conflict - NT, 2K, XP will detect it - and prompt a message box, that im pretty certain off, as long as the pcs with conflicting ips are on lan.

if you have a lan of 4 comps - did you not set the ip addresses yourself ?

Easiest way is to go DOS Command on each pc and type command ipconfig on each PC and note the IP on each.

- - - - however - - - -

i forgot to ask - is your lan wireless or wired ?

wired - make sure the cabling dont have sharp bends or have something squashing them - this can cause a lot of error packets and with error packets they flood the network and can cause the slow lan performance.

wireless - you have to make sure that there isnt anything in the vacinity of the gateway or the pcs that can cause disruption to the signals. Radiators, Photocopiers, and just about anything else.

If you want to see the NIC properties only - easiest way is . . . using device manager

Control Panel
. . Device Manager
. . . . Network Adaptors

after selecting the Network adaptor right click, select properties - look in Drivers Tab - see what version of drivers you're using - download the latest ones if available.

Advise you not to touch settings in advanced tab unless you know what you are doing.

thanks shadey for your help

no, i hired a consultant to set up the lan for me; i ddint know squat about it then and a little bit more than squat now but not much :) but learning as i go along; it's peer t
to peer network and it's wired

for driver, how do uknow if the driver u have is the most updated? i tried the update feature but didnt quite get it to finish through

i have realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

thanks kugmo,

i installed 504 instead of 503; i didnt see 503 there; i installed it on this computer; the other computer said that it doesnt need update driver.

it doesnt seem to be better tho :( i also notice, when i rightclickmy mpouse in window explorer, it kinda hangs a little bit too, not as responsve as it should be; what does that usually mean?

btw, so how does one update their computer drivers? only whenever things dont work so u 'd know to update n fix it, or one should check and update all drivers regularly? is there's a program that will scan your computer for that?

whoa...that seems like an irq problem to me. can you check under device manager (right ckick my computer, properties, hardware, devices, View-resources by type)? seems like a couple (or more) devices are not co-existing very nicely.
in my 'beast' box, video, 2 lan cards, 2 usb ports,and the sound card are sharing the same irq. mouse (ps/2) and the rest of the others are on their own.
check your system's event log, too. chances are it'll show what processes have been headbutting each other.
imho, this is something that involves a little more work than normal.
updating drivers is something i wouldn't do as soon as a new version comes out. i've run into cases a new version actually causes more harm than good. general rule of thumb is, "if it ain't broke......" -- unless of course the new driver hasn't had any bad feedback in the past week!
i know there are a few apps that check your system's drivers and installed apps for updates, but i haven't used any.
other than checking with micro$oft's update site, cursory checks on the device maker's sites pretty much work well for me. different story for my thinkpad, though. ibm posts all the updates regularly on their site.

i checked in event viewer, these r the recent errors or warning messages

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 61
Date: 9/20/2002
Time: 7:17:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PAUL
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to process the PerfProc performance library due to a time violation in the collect function
--------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Date: 9/22/2002
Time: 2:28:17 PM
Description:
The DriverLINX Port I/O Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
---------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Perflib
Event ID: 1015
Date: 9/21/2002
Time: 3:14:43 PM
Description:
The timeout waiting for the performance data collection function "PerfProc" in the "C:\WINDOWS\System32\perfproc.dll" Library to finish has expired. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.
------
i have no idea what these mean.

and the irq thingy, i went to the console, under hardware resources,
conflict/sharing, here's what i got
Resource Device
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
IRQ 9 Win2000 Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
IRQ 9 Lucent Win Modem
IRQ 9 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
IRQ 9 Sony 8032 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller
IRQ 9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 AC'97 Driver for Intel(r) 82801AA Controller

and under irqs, here's what i got,
IRQ Number Device
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
9 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
9 Win2000 Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
9 Lucent Win Modem
9 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
9 Sony 8032 OHCI i.LINK(IEEE 1394) PCI Host Controller
9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
9 AC'97 Driver for Intel(r) 82801AA Controller
8 System CMOS/real time clock
13 Numeric data processor
6 Standard floppy disk controller
4 Communications Port (COM1)
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
14 Primary IDE Channel
15 Secondary IDE Channel
3 Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus Controller

again, this is like greek to me; does that help u any?

i don't really know but i am going to put in my 5 cents.
i reckin the problem is either the actual cable (try reversing the cable to see if now the other computer has that problem)
or my guess is that it has something to do with IP or access right i find that a static IP works better than i dinamic one
just use any locked number but just change the last digit for each computer ex 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 as for the access rights reapply the shared folders or run the network configuration (control panel/network configuration.)