weird one - back to the future part II

I downloaded this from kazaa. It said it was a DIVX but it isn't. the file extension was .avi but i think this is insignificant.

It's a 1hr 50 minute film in 680mb. The quality is reasonable but not great.

If i do a properties on it in explorer i cannot see any information about the file.

Now, if i try to load it into virtual dub, i get this process "parsing interleaved mpeg file" and it says the average bitrate is 830kbits/second.

if i drop the file into VCD or SVCD in Nero, it verifies the file correclty for both formats! Then it tells me the movie is 850mb in size.

Can anyone tell me the real format of this? and why a 680mb file is reported at 850mb in nero?

divx has the extension .avi ;)
If its an mpeg oits a bit shit.
1 hour 50 at 680mb is not good!
Try playing in media player or whatever.
Try changing the extension to mpeg and see what happens when u try to play it.

VirtualDUB gave you all the answers. When you loaded it in it says "parsing interleaved mpeg file" tell you its an MPG file, not an AVI. WMP is not normally associated with an MPG file on most PC's so no info in Explorer.

An MPG @ 830 bps is way below VCD standards which should be 1150bps. So a 1hr 50m movie as a VCD will give you a 1100mb MPG file, not a 680 meg file. I would predict Audio is sub-standard also.

Nero is not the best program at even predicting file lengths! :D

daveml said:
divx has the extension .avi ;)
If its an mpeg oits a bit shit.
1 hour 50 at 680mb is not good!
Try playing in media player or whatever.
Try changing the extension to mpeg and see what happens when u try to play it.
yeah, i know that ;) i'm ok with divx.

the problem is not playing it, media player will play it no matter what it is.

the audio rate, according to virtual dub is 128kb/s.

the thing that threw me was the fact i could see no divx properties regarding the file and that V/D was loading it as mpeg.

I deduced it might have been mpeg until nero told me the cd required has to be at leat 950mb!! which seemed crazy as the file is 680mb.

the film is watchable on the tv (through my tvout) as the nastiness is blurred away by the tv. on the monitor though , it's crap.

what i want to know, if i can put it on vcd format as it is without any sodding around i will, as the quality is watchable. i prefer not to use the tvout unless i have to (just for divx).

MurderOne said:
what i want to know, if i can put it on vcd format as it is without any sodding around i will, as the quality is watchable. i prefer not to use the tvout unless i have to (just for divx).
Simply burn to VCD with Nero and turn Compatability mode off. Is this where Nero complains it needs 950meg CDR? Justignore all warnings and push ahead writing to a CDRW (so your got nothing to loose). Try playing it on your DVD Player (XVCD is less compatable than VCD) and if it works, dopy the CDRW to a normal CDR.

MurderOne said:
I deduced it might have been mpeg until nero told me the cd required has to be at leat 950mb!! which seemed crazy as the file is 680mb.
I think it is an avi (compressed - divX) file, that´s why Nero shows you that you must have a 950mb disk, it´s because Nero will encord this avi to mpeg! In this case it´s better to convert it with Tmpeg or xxxx encoder, split it and burn it with Nero.

Last edited:
Denexo said:
I think it is an avi (compressed - divX) file, that´s why Nero shows you that you must have a 950mb disk, it´s because Nero will encord this avi to mpeg! In this case it´s better to convert it with Tmpeg or xxxx encoder, split it and burn it with Nero.
hehe, when i saw your name on this thread I almost had a heart attack and thought you were gonna launch into some bizarre renaming theory.......;)

if it is compressed divx why is it being parsed as mpeg in V/D? you are right about nero trying to encode it though. i don't think i can burn it with encode options turned off. i'll try again.

thanks for the replies.

nope, nero will not burn it without reencoding it.

i am still not satifisified it's a true mpeg file. the compressed divx theory might hold out, but why mpeg detection?

MurderOne said:
hehe, when i saw your name on this thread I almost had a heart attack and thought you were gonna launch into some bizarre renaming theory.......;)
Nice to see you too, but i was slow answering you....... I don´t know V/D because i am not using it. Try to add this file into Tmpg with the wizzard, or try to simple - De- Multiplex, what shows Tmpeg?

Last edited:
MurderOne said:
nope, nero will not burn it without reencoding it.

The plot thickens. Maybe its some obscure AVI with an odd codec used to compress it then and VD is all confused. Run GSpot and see what codec for video and audio its says its using then. If it is some sort of AVI then Nero can only encode it as your aware. You may still have to encode it to VCD with TMPGEnc, thats if it will accept it also.

... the compressed divx theory might hold out, .....
Compressed DivX, no such thing sorry. A DivX is already compressed. Try ziping a divx also and you will see what I mean.

Tmpeg sould load the file but what is the output size it gives you using the project wizard?
and can you load this mpeg in mpeg tools? if yes then simple de multiplex and then simple multiplex again!

Output size as a VCD for a 1hr 50m (110min) movie is 1100mb file and will need splitting to put over 2 CD's. Its all in the Tuts on how to do it.

Clearly its an MPG file, rename it to MPG and try burning as a non-compliant VCD again.

I am not sour how sould i understand this, as a joke or as a hint? If it is a joke i laugh, but if a hint, then i sould remind you that is forbidden to me to suggest "rename"!
Anyway, glad to hear it worked out in the end independently how!