Web Design..

xSlyPandax

Hi All,

This is a question to any of you who have experience in web design (there must be someone on the forum??) :confused:

Using a tutorial, i have built a template using Adobe Photoshop (CS2). I converted the final thing to jpeg and put the template up on www.freewebs.com/thewayband - at the moment the pages are linked by using zones in Microsoft Frontpage.

But the only problem is; as its a jpeg its uneditable (text and photos) without putting the text on in photoshop, saving it as a jpeg, and uploading a new image every time i want to update the site.

After reading around i found out that i have to "Slice" the image using Photoshop Imageready, and prepare it for the net using Dreamweaver. After looking at several tutorials/faq's on doing this and playing about with it myself for a while, im still confused.

Any help? or alternative ideas on making a good looking custom site that is easily editable???

Bit of a broad question i know, but any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sly.

Jpeg isn't an editable image format- you should use psd, or tiff, or pdf... or finally (why not) html or xml, or any convenient editable complex document layout (I'm using Quark Xpress document format, as I feel most familiar with this app which I'm using since ages).

http://www.oswd.org/

A lot of templates there...

Or look out for Netobjects fusion - seems to be coverCD'd quite often , full version. Fusion 8 may still be on covercd, since version 9 is now out.

Yep, on PC Pro, Fusion 8, full version, that you would have paid full price for no so long ago.

Use a web page editing program, not a photo editor - use the photo program for pictures and decorative text, and use standard webfont text for the rest.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.aspx
Info on the standard fonts is here - these are fonts that should be commonly available.

xSlyPandax

Is it possible to view a .psd image without Photoshop? ie can it be viewed in a web browser?

Cause im just confused as to how i could get a website to look stylish and cool, AND edit the text easily.

You could cut it into equal size rectangles and put them in a table with no borders, then just change out the changed images (with text in them).

Dreamweaver or Frontpage work well. Any WSIWYG html editor will let you create a table and change the border=0 so you have a consistent picture...

Example from WWW.ADBC.ORG -- look at the source code.

<TR>

</PRE>

Last edited:

xSlyPandax

Got Dreamweaver 8. Righto.. so to get this straight.. make all individual images.. put them into a borderless table which im guessing assumes the shape of the pictures i put inside?? and the bit of the site where i will be updating i just leave a plain colour so i can edit text as and when?